Little Wing on eBay

ok, so whats the trick to posting a new thread or posting a reply on an existing thread and making the links work that i attach?

Tim

I just copy and paste the link into the post, works for me.

Tim,

Just paste or type the URL. The forum software should encapsulate it correctly. On rare occasion there is a strange character in the string that it can't handle, but most of the time you just type it, and the forum software creates all that is required.

I'm interested in the little wing and Ron told me that a Mr.Frank Darby owned a nice one with a rotax radial and that it was for sale some time back. I have been unable to get in touch with Mr Darby. Does anyone here know how to get in touch with him?
Thanks,
Jim

I certified Frank's gyro several years ago. I could not find his e-mail addy in my files as I can not remember the year.
Frank is in Atlanta, GA. and might be listed. He also has a Helicycle. Ron Awad probably has his info. I believe Ron may have flown the gyro, and last I heard, it was at Ron's place.

I haven't seen Frank Darby's Little Wing, but his Helicycle is a jewel. Frank is one cool guy. Stan

The Little Wing on Ebay is being sold by someone named James Mease with a Chama, NM address, but I can't find a phone number for him. Anybody know him, or how to get in touch with him? Dr. Rob

ummm. did you try to contact the seller using the ebay address where the ad is held? If they don't respond to your questions - I wouldn't bid.

BTW - I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen it listed on ebay. So far not even hit reserve bid yet. I still think (depending on condition of course) that it is worth more than the 3500 Ron used to sell frame only for. And since it is covered, has the gear and feathers as well as instruments etc. probably a few more thousand. Even without the engine at that price it would still be cheap.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, southwestfarrier here. Yes it listed a couple of times on "Barnstormers" never on E-Bay. Any questions, ask. I left a phone # for Dr. Rob by PM. When I bought this unit it never had a motormount, engine or prop. This is a pristine unit as Mike Howard really did do a tremendous job building it. It's been in storage all this time. Too bad for me maybe someone can use it. Jim.

I think the VW engine will be very underpowered, but if the quality of the welding and the covering is good this is a " S T E A L "

Tony

Little Wing VW engine power and redrive

Little Wing VW engine power and redrive

Ya know Tony, I feel to blame for why you think the VW is underpowered for LW. I think it comes down to two things.

The first is Weight, which has to do with building as per plans without all the goodies and additions that everyone seems to love to tweak and "improve upon".

Once the Fun stuff is added and thought I had the basics covered I started running paper numbers to determine prop size and cruise numbers to further tweak. Discussions with Ron we talked about a larger pitch and larger prop (62'').

Ron could not have known the weight penalty for the build mostly involving heavy duty covering and if I had built it to fit in his original weight range the prop decision would have been ok.

I feel that deviations from plans can have unintentional consequences. I have been able to overcome the larger prop problem and even increase the prop size to 72" by using a redrive and allow the engine to finally hit the desired RPM power range. However except for the additional weight - I feel the 62" prop recomendation would have worked.

If you remember any of this I hope that you realize that the same white/red striped aircraft that you all drool over (me too) that you have all seen flying used to have a direct drive VW on it. I saw it fly in Hot Texas and windy conditions and it flew beautifully and reliably.

Every time that I see someone say the VW on the LW is underpowered I feel like it is mine they remember, forgetting the great success Ron had with his VW. I thought bringing it to Mentone to do a few test hops/flights would be a smart step forward. I think a lot of people expected everything to be worked out while I was actually only testing my progress and feeling my way forward. It is not that way now with my machine, it took me a while to figure it out but that is what experimental is all about.

I hope you all understand that the plans built VW Single place LW without the "improvements" will fly as Ron has proven time and time again. When you see his White beauty remember that it used to sport a VW and the reason he changed was not because it was underpowered.

If this machine is heavy the simple addition of a readily available VW belt reduction will allow a larger more efficient prop to solve such a problem. Now I remember - it Was barnstormers and at a low price of 6000 without the engine it is about how much I guessed in my previous post to be a low price for such a LW. Any of you who feel you can't scratch build should not wait for these to turn up for sale often. People don't work this hard on them just to want to get rid of them. If you put a VW on it and lacked the power you could bolt a redrive on the same engine with only slight cowling modification and the price of a new prop and I believe you would be good to go.

I hope this puts the Little Wing VW power question to rest in that Ron's VW flew beautifully and there is a nice story about him letting someone else fly it posted at his website. The lesson I learned is one that many first time builders learn the hard way dealing with taking an existing model and trying to improve things. Oh well - I am not the only one tweaking -there are like how many choices in the plans themselves? The difference is in experience levels. It took a while to figure out how to offset the weight and big prop problem. The same could be done for this machine inexpensively.

Last edited:
Hopefully whoever got this will chime in. Hopefully it is near Houston or at least will be at the Anahuac Fly-In in September.

7500.00 for a single place LW that needs and engine. Aren't blades about 2000.00? That is 5500. for rest. Still a really good price with almost all the work already done.

Great to see it coming to Texas, hopefully around the Dallas or Olney area where it can be appreciated more (and rust less). Sorry Houston.

That would be alright, but would like to see it (and some of you Northern Texas Guys) at our Anahuac Fly-In in September.