Little Wing Booster Progress....

LW-3Virginia

Hi Rick, i think you checked Barnstormers about the same time my ad ran out.
Its reposted by my son. Search : Little Wing
Have a good day, Fred

LW-3Virginia

Little Wing sold

Little Wing sold

Hi guys, ive sold my Little Wing to a guy from La. down south on the gulf coast. Im still working on my tail dragger tractor project almost every day.
I was able to trailer it to Carolina Barnstormers meet in Qctober where I did the hang test and run the engine for the first time. Had a few problems which ive already fixed.
I hope to get my airworthiness inspection in Feb. if I can quit changing things!
So how are your projects going? Fred from Virginia

SHIPCHIEF

Hi;
I'm new to the group, just sent my check to Ron Herron for Little Wing plans. I'm looking to resurrect this thread.
I know I'm late for the party, but I'm here nonetheless. I've built a VAN's RV-8 and powered it's first 16 hours of flight with a Mazda Turbo Rotary that I built up.
I'm ready to learn aircraft quality welding and take on the low speed end of the flight spectrum. I'm very interested in the LW-5, which I intend to build with few to no alterations.
I want to get into Autogyro flight with the highest possibility for success. Later craftiness could lead to jump take-off and DeGraw stuff, but for now, I'm drawn to the LW-5 as designed.
We also have ultralight fliers, hang gliders, antique restorers, Cessna 170's and Competition Aerobatic pilots on our airpark. This will be interesting, especially with the rural mountain and valley flight possibilities for a low and slow flier that could take some cross winds and drafts...

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Scott,

There is a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had.

I look forward to following your progress.

SHIPCHIEF

While waiting on the Little Wing plans, I practiced some GTAW (TIG) welding today.
Only stuck the Tungsten once! Ugly! But I got good penetration and an acceptable amount of fill.
I'll be able to do this!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Glad you are making progress Scott.

The frame is nicely trussed and several welds could fail without causing a flight critical structural failure.

The clusters will be the challenge and welding upside down.

As I recall Ron gas welded his first Little Wing frames.

SHIPCHIEF

The Little Wing prints and plans arrived today. The plans provide information on Ron's Ultra pup, LW-2, LW-3 LW-2+2, LW-4 & LW-5. They are kinda jumbled up in the spiral bound 8-1/2"x14" book of 189 pages. There are lots of drawings and pictures. Also 4 large print sets of the fuselage tubing weldaments for the different models. The 2 place long version has a very good print set.
I don't understand the rotor system very well. There are Morse cable control systems and push rod systems, which I think are intended for the single seat craft. There is no 'Assembly Manual' but the book has lots of notes with the drawings and photos. There is also an addenda for updates and corrections.
This is going to be a pretty complex job. I'll be ordering 4130 steel and building the welding table soon...

Flynic3

Good Afternoon,

I have been extremely interested in the Little Wing 5 Gyro for a two place project. I am curious if the gentleman who started this thread are still building their projects in Northen Indiana? I am interested in purchasing one of the LW5 pre-welded frames and whatever else I am able to get from Ron however am lost as to what I would need in order to complete this project. I know what the website says you will need but I am curious as to what most builders are using for this project. I would like to design and build this project as I think it will give me excellent insight into proper gyro design and building. I have been interested in a tube frame style chassis project and would love to learn fabric/dope technics! I like the inherent stability of the tractor style gyros and really like the Retro look of the Little Wing! I have always been fond of the Piper Cub as well and would love to paint mine accordingly! I would love to mount a Rotec or alternatively a Verner radial engine on the front. I would be interested in some further insight from builders of this project on what they are using! I know this will be a challenging project that will take some time however feel that I am up for the challenge! I am very fortunate to have a local gyro guru who is also a DAR in my EAA chapter. I have plenty of local support on the project but would love to get involved with the 3 projects being worked on in Valparaiso! I hope this project is still ongoing however realize that almost three years has passed! I look forward to hearing from you and hope that your project is still going strong!

SHIPCHIEF,

I completely admire what you are doing my friend and hope your project is going smoothly! I don’t know if I have what it takes to build this project from the plans and admire you for doing so! I am curious what you have planned for your project and what engine/equipment you plan on using? I would love to hear more about your project and what you have planned! I am hoping to purchase a welded frame from Ron and hope he still offers these services! I look forward to hearing from you about your new Little Wing project and greatly appreciate your time!

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson

Supermotive

Good Afternoon,

I have been extremely interested in the Little Wing 5 Gyro for a two place project. I am curious if the gentleman who started this thread are still building their projects in Northen Indiana? I am interested in purchasing one of the LW5 pre-welded frames and whatever else I am able to get from Ron however am lost as to what I would need in order to complete this project. I know what the website says you will need but I am curious as to what most builders are using for this project. I would like to design and build this project as I think it will give me excellent insight into proper gyro design and building. I have been interested in a tube frame style chassis project and would love to learn fabric/dope technics! I like the inherent stability of the tractor style gyros and really like the Retro look of the Little Wing! I have always been fond of the Piper Cub as well and would love to paint mine accordingly! I would love to mount a Rotec or alternatively a Verner radial engine on the front. I would be interested in some further insight from builders of this project on what they are using! I know this will be a challenging project that will take some time however feel that I am up for the challenge! I am very fortunate to have a local gyro guru who is also a DAR in my EAA chapter. I have plenty of local support on the project but would love to get involved with the 3 projects being worked on in Valparaiso! I hope this project is still ongoing however realize that almost three years has passed! I look forward to hearing from you and hope that your project is still going strong!

SHIPCHIEF,

I completely admire what you are doing my friend and hope your project is going smoothly! I don’t know if I have what it takes to build this project from the plans and admire you for doing so! I am curious what you have planned for your project and what engine/equipment you plan on using? I would love to hear more about your project and what you have planned! I am hoping to purchase a welded frame from Ron and hope he still offers these services! I look forward to hearing from you about your new Little Wing project and greatly appreciate your time!

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson
Are you still looking to build?

Just wanted to share that my father Fred Perdue past away in May 2019. I still have his own design for a tractor gyro and one day hope to fly it myself.

Regards,
Michael Perdue