Like-New Sport Copter Vortex Available For Sale $17.5K

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
(I'm posting this for another gyroplane owner & am not being compensated in any way for doing so. Please do not contact me for more information, but call the owner).

Note: This gyro does have an A/W & N#: 547PS, that has expired & was cancelled by the FAA after the owner didn't respond to the renewal notice. See post @ bottom of thread for further info.

Sport Copter Vortex

* Assembled, then taxied. Owner says he flew a few runway crow-hops.
* Sport Copter fairing for wind protection. Can be removed easily for open cockpit flying if desired.
* 25' White McCutchen Skywheels rotors.
* Grey-head Rotax 582 64-65 HP (Not run in five years. Highly advised to replace Rotax seals & gaskets).
* Rotax C gearbox (GB ratio unknown, but ask owner to be sure).
* 10 hours of mostly taxi time & a few crow hops. About 20 hours on Hobbs, because someone turned on the ignition key when it was stored & meter clicked away until the gyro's battery died.
* Original 68" Sport Prop w/ blade covers (hollow carbon fiber blades from Czech Republic).
* Castering nose wheel
* Disc brakes, individually controlled.
* Folding mast enables rolling under standard 7' garage door.
* Gyroplane in mint condition, other than engine seals/gaskets to be refreshed.
* No trailer.
* Owner realizes his health prevents him from being able to fly again.
* $17.5K
* Contact Phil Stevens 360-477-1840 Brinnon, Wa. (West side of Puget Sound on the Olympic Peninsula).
* More photos in Post #2.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Additional photos: (Updated 06-30-20) Photo of interior cockpit/instrument panel added).

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
Added instrument panel/interior cockpit photo onto Post #2.

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
Owner previously had an Air Command gyroplane that he flew as an ultralight in the early 1990's. Also has numerous R-22 hrs. of instruction, as well as owned a Brantley helicopter that he took dual instruction in.

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
A hint to potential buyers:
Owner is not a country-bumpkin who fell off the turnip truck on the way to market, although he looks like one! I feel I can say that knowing him!

He is highly intelligent & enjoys thinking along the lines of alternative power methods, politics, the general & specific state of this country & the world.

He also knows a great deal about rotorcraft, having spent time in the presence of Tom Potter, John Farrington, as well as other notables in the gyroplane niche of aviation. He especially has fond memories of his friendship w/ Bill Parsons. He believes that BP was a genius who would have gone on to greater achievements in the gyroplane world had the fatal accident not occured.

He also enjoys playing dumb @ times, something I suspected years ago. He recently mentioned that to me in our most recent phone call, doing so as to listen carefully to what is being said around him when folks assume he is too stupid to hear or doesn't care if he did! He finds great amusement in doing that!

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
So this gyroplane does have an N#: 547PS. The owner didn't respond to the renewal notice due to medical issues he was consumed with, & they cancelled it off their active aircraft listing. I don't know if & how it might be able to be re-registered, keeping the original A/W paperwork after that happens.

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Re-registering an Experimental Aircraft

How do I re-register a de-registered experimental aircraft?

ANSWER:
The process would be the same as the original registration. You would need to obtain proof of ownership in the form of a bill of sale, then follow the procedures in the aircraft registration section of this website.

In addition to the registration you need to make sure you have all the records that document the original airworthiness certification of the aircraft. Including all the build records (if amateur built).

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
Jeff: Thanks for sharing your very helpful knowlege! People like you helping others makes this forum even more valuable!

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Everyone on this forum have something to contribute.

Some just don't know yet, they may have the missing piece of the puzzle.

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
Everyone on this forum have something to contribute.

Some just don't know yet, they may have the missing piece of the puzzle.
Yes! I keep waiting for someone to come up w/ the Dick DeGraw answer to leaping jump takeoffs so average guys could afford to add that to their gyros...

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
Jeff: Thanks for sharing your very helpful knowlege! People like you helping others makes this forum even more valuable!
Just curious if the owner has considered getting the registration current? For me, that would make it more appealing. That said, I'm not really in the market to acquire anything right now.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
tell the owner you print out the form on the FAA website. Its 1 and a half pages I think.
fill it out and mail them a check for 5 whole dollars.
Wait about 45 days....
As long as someone else has not registered the number and is currently using it.