Lift Assist Tailboom Design

lift assist tailboom design

lift assist tailboom design

"Roberts called it “lift assist tailboom design” that, in combination with the canted tailrotor, not only provides more main rotor power, but improves the center of gravity (CG) range."

They keep their inverted HS airfoil but in one picture it looks like the pitch of the HS is adjustable.

Dave

I wasn't clear if it had anything to do with Magnus or Coanda effects?

"Roberts called it “lift assist tailboom design” that, in combination with the canted tailrotor, not only provides more main rotor power, but improves the center of gravity (CG) range."

They keep their inverted HS airfoil but in one picture it looks like the pitch of the HS is adjustable.

Dave

I wasn't clear if it had anything to do with Magnus or Coanda effects?

I don't see anything that might suggest this.

The statement “lift assist tailboom design” implies that the tail assists with lift.
The canted tail-rotor has been used before. It adds a lift vector to the tail rotor, and the most recent use is Sikorsky's Comanche,
51519.jpg

The Bell 525 appears to have a large lengthwise area for payload (passengers and cargo). A horizontal stabilizer with adjustable pitch would allow a slight longitudinal change in the craft's center of lift to suit a variabe center of gravity.

Just speculation. :noidea:

Dave

OK thanks, I wan't clear what it meant.

I don't see anything that might suggest this.

The statement “lift assist tailboom design” implies that the tail assists with lift.
The canted tail-rotor has been used before. It adds a lift vector to the tail rotor, and the most recent use is Sikorsky's Comanche,
51519.jpg

The Bell 525 appears to have a large lengthwise area for payload (passengers and cargo). A horizontal stabilizer with adjustable pitch would allow a slight longitudinal change in the craft's center of lift to suit a variabe center of gravity.

Just speculation. :noidea:

Dave