License requirement to fly a Coaxial Helicopter

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
200+
What license would be required to fly a Coaxial, what category aircraft does it fall into, and can it be built EAB?

If it isn’t ultralight, then it would require a Private Pilot. Sport Pilot does not cover Helicopters.

Not sure about the category question. But I think it would be EAB.

Do helicopters have an EAB category? What about training, can a helicopter CFI give you instruction in a coaxial? Why can't coaxial fall into lightsport with a Sport Pilot license?, they are less complicated than a helicopter..... After all, that is why gyroplanes don't fall in under the helicopter rating. I think you are just guessing Scott????

FAA: Helicopter means a rotorcraft that, for its horizontal motion, depends principally on its engine driven rotors.

For a coaxial helicopter the category is Rotorcraft and the class is Helicopter.

Your certificate would read; Private Pilot or Commercial Pilot, Rotorcraft-Helicopter

Any Rotorcraft- Helicopter CFI could legally give flight instruction in a coaxial helicopter. That does not mean they would.

Having an unpowered rotor is part of the light sport aircraft requirements.

There are many experimental, amateur built helicopters.

Thanks Vance, that clears up alot. I wonder if there are any coaxial in the U S. I like the look of the EDM Aerotek Coaxial

Gonna be fun finding someone to do the maintenance on that thing. I have a hard enough time getting rotary service for my RX-7! ;)

My point was that the more complex and unusual the design, the harder it will be to find a maintainer, without implicating the motor per se.