Learning to fly gyros

Wow - never seen that before. Thanks for demonstrating! He makes flying look easy! What gyrocopter is the pilot flying? Who is the pilot?

Last edited:
I believe that is Dr. Paul Salmon. Cape Giradeau, Mo. I also believe he is a Gyroplane-CFI & Heli-CFI.
Magni gyro (M-24?)

Last edited:
Excellent! Best instructions on flying the "power curve" that I have seen. I've only ever flown a J-2 McCulloch gyroplane -- N4320G back in 1986 and now N4315G undergoing a refurbish. In 1986, I did pull my J-2 off the ground at about 30 mph, with two aboard, when I should have had 45 mph on the airspeed. I knew immediately I was behind the curve as the machine would not climb. At 30 mph, it's not too frightening; and I was only about a two feet off the ground. The machine began to slowly sink and I had just a touch of cyclic left to keep the nose up. Upon touchdown, I lowered the nose, dumped the lift, and the machine surged ahead because the O-360 was still at full throttle. I still had plenty of runway left, so I made sure I had 45 mph on the airspeed, and off we went. That was after I had about 80 hours on the machine. I never let that happen again. :)