Last straw

Never quiet .
Never give up .
Never surrender .
Never die .
For this swear .

Conflict between a Marine and a Sailor. There's something new. Back to swabbing the decks Gary.

Were you telling dead baby jokes? It must have been bad, cuz I never thought of Steve as "thin skinned". I know, at least his neck is made of leather.

byeeee

byeeee

Oh yes.....y'all enjoy each thread...its funny as heck...hehehe. really needed the Laffs Y'ALL FLY SAFE ..Seriously. Thanks Tom....it just hit me wrong.
some things can do that I guess ..

Last edited:
Oh, how convenient...

A thread that discusses the forum attitude, a topic that needs addressed...

So the thread gets deleted for 2-3 "inappropriate" posts? And by the same guy who says "They're only pixels in cyberspace"... THAT'S LAUGHABLE...

Why couldn't the "inappropriate" posts just have been removed?

it's cuz we dont wunt tu tauk bout da reel probums...

Three cheers for Steve and Ron!!! Harahh, harahh, harahh...

Pixels in cyberspace... Pixels in cyberspace...

Whats laughable?

There was several people chiming in that the thread was in bad taste, and that it does nothing positive for the sport, etc....

Then you have Steve all in a uproar about what two of them said to each other

And the original poster was obviously " backed into a corner " so to speak, as he was strickly on the defensive.

Nothing there was of any value.

I just deleted the whole thing. And you call it laughable....

I do think its just the internet. It should not dictate how you live your life, or if you do or don't get a gyro, or whether you should or shouldn't come to Mentone etc....

But at the same time, I have a job to do here, and if I see something that should be deleted, I will delete it.

I could have deleted a few particular posts, and left the rest of the thread intact, but in my opinion the " vibe " in that thread was sour and would always be sour no matter how one were to edit it.

Now lets address something else. The forum does have some basic rules. One of those is your to have your real name and location in your profile if not in your username. I looked at your profile and I see ZERO info on who you are, or where your from. How about you follow the rules and put in the info that is required..... then get back on the soapbox and complain on how I choose to use my moderator status here.

Thank you

Are we bringing this up again? Sheesh, I apologized for my statement and if you recall I took a lot of abuse well before hand. Go ahead and ban me. It will be no different than the people that chose to ban themselves. I really coud care less.

Trust works both ways also. I'm sure if I wanted to I could dig up dirt on anyone here and probably cite some dangerous flying from many people. It is time to move on and get the experienced guys to contribute. I am a noob in many ways and in many ways I have a lot of experience. We can all help each other if he egos are put in check. Or, we can all be tough guys and push away the new pilots and the experienced ones that don't have time to play games.

First of all, no one is going to Ban you, and it would not be up to Steve anyways. So don't worry about it.

I did want to address something you have brought up a few times though. You talk about how there are alot of great experienced people out there that aren't participating on the forum for one reason or another. I want to shed some gyro community history on you so you will better understand.....

Back in the 60's through the 80's, people who built and flew gyros all flew pretty simular machines, and for the most part all seemed to get along real well. In the 1980's and early 90's people started using engines with reduction drives and big props, gyros with high thrustlines were starting to become common. And in those days not many people used a horizontal stabilizer.

Gyro crashes were becoming more and more common and for the most part people didn't understand why.

In the 1990's there was alot more attention paid to why some of the these crashes took place and what would have prevented them. Things like Centerline thrust and horizontal stabilizers were brough to light as things that would help prevent accidents and make gyros safer. Kits offering gyros with these design features began to hit the marketplace, such as Dominator, and even kits like Aircommand were redesigned to have these new features.

Now what does that have to do with why some people won't post on here?

Well this is why.... Whether it was good or bad, the gyro community pretty much split in two over the isssue of the importance of things such as... 1. new pilots should use a CFI to learn to fly and not self teach, 2. all gyros should have a effective horizontal stabilizer 3. all gyros should have centerline thrust or at least as low of a offset as possible.

You had people on one side of the fence saying " Im self taught, and if I can do it, anyone can do it " While others would say " there are 20+ experienced certified gyro flight instructors, why risk your butt when you can do it safely with a CFI " ......

You had people on one side of the fence saying " Those gyros ( usually RAF2000's ) should have a horizontal stabilizer and less people would die in them " Then the other people would counter and say " There are three hundred of them flying out there with billions of fleet hours and without stabs, so your wrong "

You get the picture right?

Needless to say there were some NASTY heated debates and discussions on the various message boards and forums over the last 15 or so years. Alot of people got their feelings hurt, there were many people that just simply got out of gyros all together over it.

In the end, the gyros that are new to the market these days, the bulk of them are what almost everyone considers a modern safe, well designed and stable gyro.

But because of all the stuff said on the internet, alot of people just won't participate anymore on the forums. Especially those that are of the side that feel self training is okay... that horizontal stabs are not needed.... or that thrustline offsets are not important.

Its too bad they don't want to participate on here anymore. But hearing how you got so many emails and PM's from people, at least it's nice to know they are still reading the forum even if they choose not to post on it.

Ron, your right in many aspects but not so sure that it was the issues that separated them as much as how it was debated, much like the thread that got deleted. When one would feel as though they were losing ground with the other the debate became personal attacks and mean in nature. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing but there is a lot of wrong when it comes name calling and degradeing remarks. I appaude you for deleteing that thread when you did and if every time a discussion got out of hand like that in the past, if it could have deleted then we probably would have not lost as many people to the forum and our sport as what we had.

Ron you have a pretty good handle on the chain of events and the way it all happened, I was there to see it go from Bensen Brock gyro's to the Air Command and then the CLT machines. All the talk about horizontal stabilizers and center line thrust made no sense to me at the time, being self taught and still in one piece and able to fly my Benson safely.
I never got mad at anyone preaching the safety issues, I just kept doing what I do. I added a stabilizer and I swear I can't see any difference "not to say there isn't". I'm sure if I had it all to do over again instruction in a modern machine would be the way to go today. The cost would be less than what I spent on broken gyro parts, and safer.
Everything keeps moving foreward with knowledge gained from the past.

The internet is just a communications device for people who don't meet regularly in person.

I think that if all gyro pilots were centered around one geographic area where we were constantly in contact the result would have been the same as the internet. We would have been split into 'camps' much like what Ron mentioned, probably at different airfields like No-Stab Municipal, CLT International, Old School Aerodrome, Our Lady of the Horizontal Stabilizer, etc. :)
The same people who avoid the Forum now would have avoided going to the opposing camps' airfields or fly-ins.

And yes, there would have been arguments and name-calling even in person. I've seen it.
Put a bunch of rugged individualists together, in person or via internet, and occasionally feathers get ruffled.

Same Situation Ain't IT??

Same Situation Ain't IT??

A while back I was watching a movie about a Radio Talk Show DJ.. Some of you may have seen the same one.

AND....on into the show/movie,, which was goin very well for the DJ,, when someone called and told him he was completely outta line with his comments and subject mattter.

Well it got kinda heated when the DJ stopped for a moment, Agreed with the caller and then said.....

Sir.. There are two knobs on your radio..

One is the On/ Off/ Volume switch..

The other changes the station....

At any time,,, It's Your Choice which one you wish to use...

The DJ was Howard Stern.......

two cents

two cents

I still don't know what originated THIS "debate" but it has arroused comment which is a good thing, yes?

I have been a mediator at other forums and it is sometimes difficult to remain neutral or at least silent while issues unfold. The mediation here is excellent, in my opinion. Humor is used to defuse heated issues and when the task becomes uncontrolable lacking adequate counter initiatives to balance the root issue then it is the responsibility of the moderator to take the initiative using tools available. He really need not qualify his decision regarding what action is taken.

I have been embarrassed before on this forum. However, there has always been someone from someplace around the world that would come to my defense and apply a band-aide to my wounded ego. That is what makes this forum special. :boink:

Last edited:
"Sir.. There are two knobs on your radio..
One is the On/ Off/ Volume switch..
The other changes the station....
At any time,,, It's Your Choice which one you wish to use..."

FWIW, I totally agree.

Chris

Huh, what I think is funny, is that Gladiator threads get more hits than most.
I think Admins. should open a BOXING BETTY section on this forum for the heated debates.
Seems like when they start no one is man enough to stop without having the last word.
Crap you could probably charge admission !!!

~~JAKE~~