Land-a-Helicopter-After-Your-Pilot-Has-Been-Killed

No way, If they just used the cyclic & peddles and run it on ??? Naw .nope. Don't think so for 95% of the public.

I guess it is possible. I mean after all, I learned to land one... But I did have just a little more information than this..

M

IMHO, I would think that landing it would be very difficult with just those instructions. However, I'm sure that the passenger would be able to successfully crash land it and may live to write a book.

Is that it??
Sh!t, next time ol mate blows dust in me hanger, ill f###k off with it while he,s not lookn.

Wunder wot world that idiot came from?

That's what I though guys... Thank you!

At first I thought the author must be joking?

@Birdy
Yaw Mon... no worries ... You and I have read how easy it is?

Speaking for myself......flying a helicopter is the EASIEST aircraft that I have flown......AFTER .......my reflexes were trained . Learning to fly a helicopter was the HARDEST aircraft for me to learn to fly. Most people including myself would not be able to keep a helicopter upright longer than the 8 seconds a bull rider needs to stay on the bull before getting bucked off.

Stan

Gess if he was as stoned as the bloke was who rit them instructions, he may keep his cool enuff to not start prayn.

But i wouldnt be just sitn there waitn.

Probably, what a person who found themselves in that situation could do is to quickly put their head between their legs and kiss their butt goodbye!!!

The chances of the machine being controllable through step one are little to none.

And then having a passenger in a position to fly it well enough to get it on the ground are even less.

My bet would be no chance.

We all would like to think we could do it but the voice of experience says not no but heck no.

Fixed wing yes, heli no.

Rick

An experianced pilot would have his work cut out.
If sumthn come flyn through the cab n took ol mates head with it, wot would be his first reflexes?
Iv never seen anyone get their head taken off, but id hazard a gess that his arms would go limp, dropn the collective to the floor and the cyclic, well, it could go in any direction.
No dout one foot would push harder than the other.
Besides blood sprayn all round the shop from the wind, wots left of his head rolln round the floor and the sudden sensation of 0G, wild yaw and wotever the cyclic did, youd be hard to convince to not jump out the door and take you chances with gravity.

If, otoh, he just let go of everythn, and peoples heads exploden dont excite you, then maybe youd hava chance of thinkn you may hava chance.
But i dout it.

An experianced pilot would have his work cut out.
If sumthn come flyn through the cab n took ol mates head with it, wot would be his first reflexes?
Iv never seen anyone get their head taken off, but id hazard a gess that his arms would go limp, dropn the collective to the floor and the cyclic, well, it could go in any direction.
No dout one foot would push harder than the other.
Besides blood sprayn all round the shop from the wind, wots left of his head rolln round the floor and the sudden sensation of 0G, wild yaw and wotever the cyclic did, youd be hard to convince to not jump out the door and take you chances with gravity.

If, otoh, he just let go of everythn, and peoples heads exploden dont excite you, then maybe youd hava chance of thinkn you may hava chance.
But i dout it.
Exactly ......

On January 4, 2009, a dual-engine Sikorsky S-76C helicopter crashed into marshy terrain near Morgan City, Louisiana, about seven minutes after takeoff from Amelie, Louisiana. The copter was on a charter flight to a Gulf of Mexico oil rig. Both pilots were killed, along with six of the seven passengers, according to the NTSB.

Feathers and other debris, identified as belonging to a red-tailed hawk, were collected from the helicopter's canopy and windshield, the NTSB said.

The impact of the bird entering the cockpit pushed both engine control levers into the flight idle position, reducing fuel to both engines, the statement said. "The pilots were probably disoriented from the broken windshield and rushing air and were unable to react in time to maintain control of the helicopter."

Based on main rotor speed decay information provided by Sikorsky, the accident flight crew had, at most, about 6 seconds to react to the decaying rotor speed condition. Had they quickly recognized the cause of the power reduction and reacted very rapidly, they would likely have had enough time to restore power to the engines by moving the ECLs back into position. However, the flight crewmembers were likely disoriented from the bird strike and the rush of air through the fractured windshield; thus, they did not have time to identify the cause of the power reduction and take action to move the ECLs back into position.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20090104X12037

Flight control.to Major Tom...

Flight control.to Major Tom...

Yes and of course this would all have happened in seconds. It takes more for the old brain to catch up and then assess the situation. Then react accordingly.
I recall flying around Townsville in a single turbine Jet ranger and the pilot in command said his friend had a bad day in the office. A wedge tail eagle went straight thru the canopy and struck the tail rotor. Could you imagine flying along probably thinking of what ya gunna have for dinner that night... when...BANG...you may have been lucky enough to see what it was, but now too busy gaining control with heavy vibration and working out what ya got to get on the ground. I had one of these big birds pass over my rotor at 3500 ft and my heart leaped out of my chest for about 3 beats, scared the hell out of me. (very close near miss)Two things...1.They are real and they are up there enjoying the thermals just like you. 2. What would happen if my rotor struck a wedge tail eagle. I've been told the rotor blades would slice through it but these birds can be as big as a dog. OK 3. Do i really want to know.

Bit different to a heli virgin have his pilot takn out Tony. ;)