Kris Kristofferson - Pro Heli Pilot

cburg

I didn't know this about Kris:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Kristofferson

He joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of Captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School. During the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division. It was during this time that he resumed his music career and formed a band. In 1965, when his tour of duty ended, Kristofferson was given an assignment to teach English Literature at West Point.

He also worked as a commercial helicopter pilot at that time for a south Louisiana firm called Petroleum Helicopters International (PHI), based in Lafayette, Louisiana. Kristofferson recalled of his days as a pilot, "That was about the last three years before I started performing, before people started cutting my songs ... I would work a week down here [in south Louisiana] for PHI, sitting on an oil platform and flying helicopters. Then I'd go back to Nashville at the end of the week and spend a week up there trying to pitch the songs, then come back down and write songs for another week ... I can remember 'Help Me Make It Through the Night' I wrote sitting on top of an oil platform. I wrote 'Bobby McGee' down here, and a lot of them [in south Louisiana]."

Last edited:

thumper549

Aircraft
Huey /RW Carb
Total Flight Time
He delivered a song he wrote to john Cash by helicopter.
Is / was quite the story for awhile.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Kristofferson was/is a very colorful character. I am surprised that he is not a more prominent person these days. He would be a valuable commentator in the media because of his life experiences. Army Officer, VietNam Helicopter Pilot, West Point Professor, Gulf Offshore Pilot, Singer-Songwriter, Movie Star -- He could make millions presenting his opinions and philosophies as they relate to world events of today.

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
I was on-set with Kris Kristofferson in Georgetown Texas a few years back on a movie called "The Wendell Baker Story". They were using the hangar behind where I used to tie down my old C-152 years ago. Note the airplane in the trailer...that was my (get ready) former business partner's wife's boss's airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKXkZiGef8

-John

cburg

Apparently he's over-qualified ;-)

Kristofferson was/is a very colorful character. I am surprised that he is not a more prominent person these days. He would be a valuable commentator in the media because of his life experiences. Army Officer, VietNam Helicopter Pilot, West Point Professor, Gulf Offshore Pilot, Singer-Songwriter, Movie Star -- He could make millions presenting his opinions and philosophies as they relate to world events of today.

RotorRambler

Kris Kristofferson has had a colorful career, but he wasn't a Vietnam helicopter pilot. He volunteered to go there but was turned down.

Ira

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
I think he was either Army or Tennessee National Guard member when he dropped the Demo tape. I do mean dropped.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
some snips from various interviews .....

Kris Kristofferson was out on flight training, when he decided to make an unexpected detour. He set his sights for the Cash estate, and landed his helicopter right onto Johnny Cash’s front lawn! What happened next is up for debate - Johnny Cash claims that Kris had "a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other" and "practically fell out of that helicopter when he landed."

While Kris claims: .... “John wasn’t even there. He had a very creative memory. He told how I got out of the helicopter with a beer in one hand and a tape in the other. And I said, 'John, you’ve got to have both hands and both feet when you’re flying a helicopter.'”

..... I still think I was lucky he didn't shoot me that day! I'd briefly joined the National Guard, just trying to make some extra money. So I had a helicopter I was able to fly at the weekend. The story about me getting off the helicopter with a tape in one hand and a beer in the other isn't true. Y'know, John had a very creative imagination. I've never flown with a beer in my life. Believe me, you need two hands to fly those things.

in this video interview he says it was an old Hiller

http://www.biography.com/people/kris-kristofferson-177860#synopsis&

E6B

Where's the touchscreen?
Aircraft
None at the moment
Total Flight Time
1000+ SEL/MEL
My day job when I was working on my commercial license was as a television director at a Tucson TV station. Every year our station participated in Jerry Lewis' MDA Telethon.

Kris had been filming "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" with Ellen Burstyn in a restaurant near the station and our General Manager went over and asked if they would be willing to spend an hour or two with us. They both agreed but only Kris showed up...with his guitar. He stayed from 3PM until about 2AM. We ended up getting a lot of network time thanks to him. He would tell a story about a song then sing it.

Well, sometime after midnight we were live on the network and, in the middle of his tale, he said, "motherf*cker". Nationwide, during the JL charity telethon, he said something that had never been said on TV, EVER. In the Control Room, I was like Schwartz's mother in A Christmas Story: "NO! NOT THAT!"

Fortunately, I guess it was late enough that either no one was watching or they weren't sure that they heard what they heard, but there were no complaints or repercussions.

Yep, Kris is an interesting guy to spend the day with. ;)

thumper549

Aircraft
Huey /RW Carb
Total Flight Time
Song writers -
They are a different bunch.
Anyone can sing a song, but to create the whole thing is genius.
No, I am not talking about 6th grade rap rhymes or the new country crap. But real songs that tell a story and do it all in maybe 3 minutes ? With ear pleasing music !
Thats genius
Most song writers stay out of the lime light for years and years till real popular.
Hoyt Axton and kristofferson had (have ) such robust refreshing voices .
When discovered they could not run or hide .

thumper549

Aircraft
Huey /RW Carb
Total Flight Time
Lots of so called music writers / singers "could" learn a lot from if they just read the words to his songs.
You can not tell when the rhyme is coming.
Word meanings and dualaties are so well composed and threaded though.
He is genius.

cburg

So you are saying that modern song writers aren't as good. Well I've been listening to a lot of Rap and Hip Hop lately, but never get to hear the whole song, because the stop light turns green too fast ;-)

Lots of so called music writers / singers "could" learn a lot from if they just read the words to his songs.
You can not tell when the rhyme is coming.
Word meanings and dualaties are so well composed and threaded though.
He is genius.

thumper549

Aircraft
Huey /RW Carb
Total Flight Time
In my opinion witch is worth maybe nothing, a song has to say a LOT in a little time.
Listen to Hoyt Axton
Lee Hazelwood
Lenard Cohen
You will get the idea