RotorTom

Aircraft
Enstrom 480B, CTLS, Ercoupe
Total Flight Time
5000+

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
The first news report I saw mentioned a witness who claimed to hear "the engine sputtering" pre-crash. I don't know how you would ever get that sound from the twin turbines on an S-76.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
"Rotor-barking" ...can be likened to an "engine-splutter" ...by unfamiliar non-rotor-aviators ...on the ground!

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
500 hours
Good article here supporting high likelihood of inadvertent flight into IFR with rising terrain. Other operators had grounded their helicopters around the same time.

thomasant

Aircraft
AR1, Aviomania Genesis Sport
Total Flight Time
3400+
Even with proper instruments and an Instrument Rating, disorientation is possible for the pilot. Sometimes it is a matter of luck.

I remember getting into inadvertent IMC in 1983 in a Lama helicopter in the Himalayas and was attempting to power out in a zero speed vertical climb through 4000 feet of cloud. Should have been dead with four souls on board. We did not have the right instrumentation and I was not even Instrument rated then. We were lucky.

I'm so sorry for this crash.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
500 hours
The graph in this article showing altitude changes shows climbing to approximately 2000ft, almost certainly getting into IMC situation in the hills.

okikuma

I for one do not speculate out loud on any aviation crashes. Never-the-less as aviators it is only natural that we to ourselves question what happened as a learning process to hopefully not to duplicate what eventual outcome that lead to a crash.

Here is an interesting video created by a SoCal Aviator using flight radar data from Flight Radar 24 and combined with Google Earth Studio. The creator of this video has made several comment errors, some concerning VFR regulations in respect to helicopters, and some geographical errors. I'm extremely familiar with the geography and the airspace referenced within the video. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, and I know all the streets, avenues, boulevards, and freeways in the area along with the airspace above.

Also be mindful that the NTSB is most likely using this same or similar set of software tools to construct a visual representation of the flight path of the fatal flight as this individual has.

Wayne