Kitplanes article

constant speed propeller?
that is one that adjusts pitch with rpm correct?

i thought i read somewhere that you couldnt use that type of a propeller on an aircraft in the lightsport category?

is that what the EAB category is for?

the hoverhawk website promotes an adjustable prop and says these would be good for gyros

just wondering.

The SCII kit can be tailored for anyone's needs. This particular kit (one pictured) isn't for the light sport category. It's a Border Patrol version equipped with all kinds of goodies including 2 FLIR cameras.

So the kits are available now ???

How many out there now ?

Gotta get that guy to join the forum !!!!

i see...but could you still put a constant speed prop or an adjustable prop on an elsa gyro and still be legal since its an EAB?

I would love to place an order for 1 maybe 2, What are the payment arrangements ?

I will probably wait to see one & get a ride in one & hit the lottery !

Last edited:
Good Luck, I play all the time !

BTW......how many of those kits have been shipped ?

Few Chris.....very few......most are waiting for the last pieces. We had to redo the cowls and it set us back months. It does look and function better though.

I am very excited about the SC2 & can't wait to hear more about them !

Do you guys have a flyer at the shop ? Are there others out there flying ?

Doug......how many is a few ? Very few ?

i see...but could you still put a constant speed prop or an adjustable prop on an elsa gyro and still be legal since its an EAB?
ELSA and EAB are two different classifications, can't be both.

If you look at FAR part 1, the definition of "light sport" is specifically spelled out. Among these specifications is that they must have a fixed pitch propeller, or a ground adjustable propeller. Another part of the definition is that the aircraft must have been maintained continuously within the light sport definition. So, if you have an aircraft that is not certified as a "light sport" such as "Experimental Amateur Built", that falls inside the official definition you may fly the aircraft with only an applicable pilot certificate, and a Driver license medical. However if the aircraft has at any time been equipped outside of the definition, it is no longer a light sport eligible aircraft. In the case of an aircraft certified as either ELSA or ELSA you cannot legally modify the aircraft so that it no longer meets the definition. Be especially careful when buying "Experimental Amateur Built" aircraft because I've seen a LOT of misrepresented "Light Sport" many aircraft not even currently meet the definition. This is usually found in fixed wing machines though.
On gyros, there are very few ELSA's and no LSA's. We have almost exclusively EAB. so the only thing we need to worry about is how we want to operate our aircraft. I always advise my friends not to do anything to make their otherwise eligible aircraft ineligible by adding non compliant propellers, or when first certifying keeping the GW below 1320 pounds and so on. I advise this even if you maintain a FAA medical. This is for resale reasons. The aircraft is simply worth more if it is kept LSA compliant. This will keep the aircraft marketable to the largest cross section of pilots and therefore higher overall value.