Kerosene burning over Illinois

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Pictures cant come close to capturing tonights mission.........................John Higgenbotham called me today and I mentioned how I was getting ready to go fly my Turbinator. I told John that the best flying cant be caught with a camera unless it was remote controlled and on a turret. My camera was with me anyway but everytime I went to take a picture, I put the camera down as it would not begin to capture what was going on. Let me try to paint a picture with words. I wasnt flying over the terrain, but was "in" it. I had to use the full potential of the helicopter this evening, as I just was wired that way tonight. What a bunch of memories I will savor for days! What an hour long rush I was having. First was flying over my dads farms checking them out at 10 foot over the crops, with several stop to hover over the soybeans. There was like a huge bowl shaped imprint as my downwash was squashing the soybeans, yet the outwash was being slowed down by the bean follage, and getting recirculated through my rotor. A quick power check showed my rotor was taking one more degree of pitch from when I took off over short grass.......................................................................................................................next along came two bicyclists riding by on a road next to the field I was hovering in. I knew them and they were just a waving up a storm. So I hovered alongside them as we both traveled almost a mile together, about 10 mph, and my downwash was blowing on them. They were having a ball watching as they pedaled. ..............................................................................................................................................I moved on and flew over golf course. There was a foursome playing on a green, and again they were just waving at me. So I circled and came up to a slow hover right to the putting green they were on. I parked into a 3 foot hover with my exhaust off the green, as I didnt dare scortch their pristine grass! The golfers were just a smiling bigtime and were waving me to land. Unless I saw the owner , I wasnt about to land and trespass just because a golfer waved me to land. I proceeded with a max performance takeoff as I cleared a line of trees and departed onto the rest of my flying mission controlled only by my whymsical thoughts. I love flying out of controlled airspace and would not enjoy it at all asking for permission for every turn. Thats just my farm upbringing, free and independant!.........................................................................................................Next I flew around my hometown and saw the football team practising on some ground next to the pristine football field. That green manicured football field was just as inviting as the golf green. Next thought on a whim had me doing a steep approach over the goal post to a 3 foot hover on the 50 yard line. I did a slow 360 turn and hadnt noticed several people were sitting in the bleachers and now they are waving. I went ahead with a max performance takeoff over the other goal post and went on my whimsical way...................................................................................................................................Next I went to check out a mega farm. There was the farmer leaving with his wife in his new sporty Cadillac convertiblee. I had 2 miLes of clear roadsides to fly alongside them asa they too were waving frantically. I have given this farmer rides in my SparrowHawk and he is always stiopping by my stairshop to see whats happening. Well today, it was happening alongside him about 25 feet away and at his windshield height. We traveled along together for a mile going about 30 mph. He later was waiting for me at my shop when I finally had enough of this ecstatic euphoria flying I was having. .................................................................................................................Here came a large grain elevator, and I set up from a hover and did a max performance takeoff right over the top of it! No way a camera would hasve caught this feeling. I had an easy escape along either side of the elevator should I abort the takeoff. I kept the angle I started on and cleared the grain legs, then accelerated onto one more mission, find some wildlife.................................................................................I soon found a wild turkey that looked huge. I descended to get a closer look, but the turkey slipped into the woods. I ended up with permanent smile creases in my face from this most memorable flight. Not one picture was taken as I mentioned, tonights flying just could not be captured with my video setup. I want to get a remote control camera, preferably a belly mount, and definitely not a fisheye lense. Maybe I could have caught a small part of the feeling I was experiencing. It would take a camera mounted on an owls head to capture it all. This flight plucked the occasional wild hair I get, and most of my flights will be more conservative, but still the best flying I have ever had. .....................Thought I would share with words only this time! Stan

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Nice writing Stan!

Nice writing Stan!

That is a lovely story well told.

I was right there with you my friend.

Thank you, Vance

turbo

stuart fl/ s windsor ct/ virgin gorda bvi
Aircraft
r-44, rv-6, helicycle
Total Flight Time
6,000+
NICE STORY HERE. videos dont do justice to a helo flight. they are for others to enjoy. the real flight is so much more to the pilot. emotion is the word that comes to my mind. what a fantastic invention. 3D flight. it actually takes longer to load a flight like stan to utube than to write about it. :typing:

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
Nice description Stan! Hopefully I can start contributing some of my own in about two weeks.

Ed,
Where did you find that great picture of Eric's Helicycle? or did you take it?

Mike

Last edited:

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
Turbo Eddie. (my hero)

Videos don't do justice to us everyday owners operators. We've been there, done that, as they would say. Videos are there mostly for the viewers and people who want to be there but haven't. I can tell you that they do deeply appreciate them, all of them. Vance I think you are rubbing off on Stan, I have a camera platform in the works at the shop, gyro stabilized and servo controlled, It will work off of the hat switch on the cyclic for direction. up, down, left, right, and I may be able to use the focus as well by using another switch on the cyclic. Stan nice story and nice flight.

turbo

stuart fl/ s windsor ct/ virgin gorda bvi
Aircraft
r-44, rv-6, helicycle
Total Flight Time
6,000+
Ed,
Where did you find that great picture of Eric's Helicycle? or did you take it?

Mike[/QUOTE]

when i took that pic, erics dad was riding with me in the r-44. he build it and had been involved in home built helos for a long time. it was an emotional time for his dad to see it flying along side of us. great family.

we are planning a 4th annual helo gathering on sept 15th at salmon river airpark.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ed- I saw Erics Helicycle at Homer Bells fly-in in 2010. He flew it clear from the east coast and back. Very beautiful ship. Mike- Cant wait to hear and see your flying experiences. I dont like the sound of "in about 2 weeks" if you know the story! Ha On my flight last night, I kept picking up my camera to try to capture it, and just said "no way it would do it justice" and my camera went back to my pocket. My words dont do any justice except to explain why I didnt take any pictures. Stan