Kermit continuing flight log

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
So I am starting a new thread to report on the continuing progress and flights related to my Aviomania convertible.

On June 14 I removed Kermit from the trailer after the long trip back from Rotor's Over the Rockies. I did a complete inspection and found no issues. I did do a minor adjustment to the hydraulic prerotator.

The blades were reinstalled and he was put to bed in the hanger.

Later in the day, when the winds calmed down, I took him out of the hanger and did another complete inspection and preflight.

I took him up for about 45 minutes for his first flight at his (and my) home airport KCUT.

The DA was 7300 and it was still pretty warm. As expected Kermit flew like a champ.

Prerotation was smooth up to about 180 and a nice progressive roll out and I was in the air in about 600 feet.

Some neighbors and friends that heard and then saw me in the air commented he is pretty loud. I am currently cruising at about 7000 RPM and 2.2 GPM. However I need to verify the calibration of the fuel flow meter as I think that may be a little low. I may also turn the exhaust tip 180 up so that it points to the sky rather than the ground to see if it effects peoples perception of the noise.

My airspeed indicator on the EFIS is also need of calibration. I was indicating 45 KTS when my gps indicated 65 ground speed with no wind present.

I did 1 high speed pass down the runway with a friend using his IPAD to video. It is not great and appears to be much darker than it really was outside. I was also able to fly over the house and wave at my beautiful wife Laurie. She is so amazing and supportive, I could not be more grateful. The videos are on my Facebook page, sorry but I did not upload them so I can't move them to YouTube.

I am going to try to get someone with a high quality camera to take some video in the near future.

My landing was uneventful with a 6 Kt steady wind right down runway 8. My other flights in Kermit have been in calm winds and I did float much longer than I expected.

The only immediate change it to take a very slight amount of tension out of the trim spring as I am having to hold constant forward stick. Not a lot but enough to be an annoyance.

More to follow. I hope you will join me on this journey!!!

Some enjoyment to be had now Heath.

Aussie Paul. :)

Thank you for sharing the fun Heath.

Thank you for sharing the fun Heath.

You have some beautiful country to fly over and some great adventures out there.

Actually Heath, I think your "2.2 GPM" fuel flow rate is a bit HIGH...:eek:
Brian

Yes 8 minute duration precludes most crosscountry flights.

Kermit

Kermit

Hi Heath, I like the new paint job. Are you going to have the full enclosure back on in the fall? I am anxious to see some video of Kermit flying with the enclosure. I am considering buying the same unit with the 912 80 HP if that will be enough HP. What are your thoughts?

Enclosure and engine.

Enclosure and engine.

Hi Heath, I like the new paint job. Are you going to have the full enclosure back on in the fall? I am anxious to see some video of Kermit flying with the enclosure. I am considering buying the same unit with the 912 80 HP if that will be enough HP. What are your thoughts?

Yes the enclosure will go back on in colder temps. It is easy to change out. Takes about 15 minutes.

I choose the Yamaha because I live at 5620 MSL not counting density altitude. I felt I needed more power. For most everybody the 80 HP Rotax will be just dandy.

Sounds great, Heath, and I'm very pleased for you.

2.2gph sounds low, but, heck, anything <5 seems like gravy to me and my hoggy 2.2 carbed RAF! :)

What's your expected speed and range at cruise?

Too early to tell

Too early to tell

Sounds great, Heath, and I'm very pleased for you.

2.2gph sounds low, but, heck, anything <5 seems like gravy to me and my hoggy 2.2 carbed RAF! :)

What's your expected speed and range at cruise?

It is still to early to tell the actual range and GPH for certain. I am focusing on working any additional tweaks out then I will get the calculations figured out.

Should not be long.

Father's Day present

Father's Day present

My beautiful wife gave me a budget to work on Kermit for a Father's Day present. I get to choose how to spend the money.

My choice is to change the exhaust. I am going to extend the 4 primary tubes longer into the 4 to 1 collector in hopes to flatten the power curve from where it is right now.

As it stands there are basically 4 power settings. Idle, Fast Idle Fast Cruise and Zoom.

Teal, who I believe, is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the YG4 Yamaha has done some testing on longer primaries and says this will help with the power curve immensely.

So today I ordered new parts, in stainless, to make this upgrade.

My hope is for it to be not only functional but cool looking also.

Yamaha four cylinder

Yamaha four cylinder

Heath: In your many conversations w/ Teal, did you two discuss the limits of how many horses you two feel comfortable running through the Rotax "C" gearbox? I'm considering using the YG4 on a two-place gyroplane project.

Also, has Teal mentioned how many guys have used the factory injection vs. carbs on the YG4?

I have two of Neil Hintz's AutoFlight universal gearboxes, but Neil won't sell any more adaptors (at least to me) until he hears feedback from others who have bought them from him. He says his universals GB is rated for 160 hp.

Is your engine carbed? Your paint scheme blinds me too much to even look @ the engine...

Last edited:
This is, and going to be, an informative thread! Thank you for sharing the research and the fun!!!
U-ROCK Bro!!!

Heath: In your many conversations w/ Teal, did you two discuss the limits of how many horses you two feel comfortable running through the Rotax "C" gearbox? I'm considering using the YG4 on a two-place gyroplane project.

Also, has Teal mentioned how many guys have used the factory injection vs. carbs on the YG4?

I have two of Neil Hintz's AutoFlight universal gearboxes, but Neil won't sell any more adaptors (at least to me) until he hears feedback from others who have bought them from him. He says his universals GB is rated for 160 hp.

Is your engine carbed? Your paint scheme blinds me too much to even look @ the engine...

I have not spoken to him specifically about the hp limits on the gearbox but have read articles on guys running over 200 through it.

Mine is carbed

Not sure on fuel injected units.

Good day and bad day

Good day and bad day

Before flying today I installed a Bear Perkins red floating fuel sight indicator on the fuel tank. Was very simple to do and took less than 30 minutes.

After that I refilled Kermit with 92 Octane Ethanol Free Gas. After every gallon of gas I made a mark on the clear fuel line tubing. Works great during pre and post flight inspections I could not be happier with this minor upgrade.

After a through preflight and inspection I took Kermit up again today. My take off left a lot to be desired but everything is ok. Right as I left the ground the wind gusted straight across the runway. It caused me (unexpectedly and surprisingly) to pretty aggressively get shoved sideways on the runway. My training kicked in and I focused on maintaining positive control, not getting behind the power curve and keep looking down the runway...don't ever look down.

Wind was light an variable and primarily straight down the runway. I literally watched the windsock swivel at the same moment my wheels left the ground. As stated not pretty but I recovered and flew straight into the wind and up we went.

Cruise flight 50 KTS steady and comfortable. 70% throttle. I also started doing some more slow speed maneuvers and tight turns to continue to get a better feel for Kermit and his flight characteristics.

2.4 to 2.6 GPH average fuel burn.

The flight was uneventful beyond the wild ride on departure. Landing was good. It was a nice main gear touchdown with a smooth flare. The helicopter pilot who is at the airport flying an ASTAR for firefighting approached me, complimented me on my landing and stated how impressed he was with how quick I stopped after landing on the ground. (I believe less than a 100 foot rollout.)

Now the bad part.

Post flight I found the hydraulic prerotator pump seized up again. I took it to my local hydraulic shop and we disassembled it. The tolerances inside the pump are VERY tight. It looked like there may have been some contamination in the system, probably rubber dust inside the lines from the rubber manufacturing process. I cleaned the pump fully and there does not appear to be any damage. It is reassembled and reinstalled. I also reflushed the hoses with new power steering fluid in hopes of getting rid of any residual gunk.

Hoping for the best as I don't want to buy a replacement pump. No testing this afternoon. It was 92 degrees with a DA of 8900 feet. Too hot and too thin air.

My ratings for the flight are takeoff 3, landing 8 (one of my best ever) and overall a 7.

I will try to retest and provide you with some results later this week or next.

I love progress!

I love progress!

Sounds like fun Heath.

Gusty winds can be a challenge, please go cautiously into wind limits.

Ya gotta love those Floaties......I do !

Just for clarification was the 100 foot rollout what you intended to write?