Ken Wallis Wooden Rotor Blade Construction Revealed

I have a gallon kit of Aerodux 185 coming, says to expect delivery some time between July 29 - August 13. So will do some test pieces with metal and 1/8 marine plywoond to test the bonding strength.

David

I have a gallon kit of Aerodux 185 coming, says to expect delivery some time between July 29 - August 13. So will do some test pieces with metal and 1/8 marine plywoond to test the bonding strength.

David
We Look forward to your experiment ..... if it was me I would carefully clean the steel strap and then give it a coat of epoxy primer ..... that way metal oxidization (corrosion) cannot seperate the strap and glue .... later if you have to drill holes for screws put a dab of adhesive in the hole and it will help seal it.

There could be adherence problems, it is usually better to clean, ruff the steel, clean again, optional to etch with acid, clean then use the adhesive. Epoxy primers are for paint, they really don't have the peel properties for use with adhesives.

David

Hi Folks:

For Hyduligum resources, I have tried the contact form for PermaliWallace a few times, and the response was nil.
I asked for some references for a US supplier/distributor for Hydulignum. I gave up and will go with Baltic Birch marine grade plywood a la Hoskins.

Curtis Scholl

Hi Folks:

There is a site that seems to have the Barnett J4 plans for sale. Not sure of the wood blades though.

$75.00 for the plans. Downloadable.

Curtis Scholl

1595257923452.pngBonding cleaning agent worth a read

Organo-silanes are often used as "sizing" to coat fabrics used in laminates to aid bonding.

If one could build the blades, that pretty much leaves the rotor head to be constructed on a CNC. The cost of a Gyro would would be pretty hard to beat.

Welder

In my model/amateur rocket days, I thought that making my own motors would be cheaper than buying them for the high power stuff I was using. I did start, and made motors, but I found all the extra tooling, chemicals, stands, mixers and coring rods came to more than just buying a motor, it just took time and small amounts of dollars at a time. But I was trying to work within bounds and wanted the experience of making rocket motors, so I spend the money and gain the experience.

I want to build wood rotor blades following an established set of plans, and it may cost less, may cost more with tooling costs, however, I want the experience.

And yes, my rotor head is ready to start being used once I get the right length bolts. I ordered them a bit short.....LOL. I need to get the hub bar and attachments readied.

I hope this does not seem that I am being a downer, I do not intend it to be.

Curtis Scholl