KB2 Prop

dbranton28

I had a rock go through my prop. A wooden 56 inch. I fixed it with filler and the fiberglassed over it. Looked good,, seem right.... I took it out yesterday and the fiberglass delaminated and the wood filler flew out. I noticed the difference in sound immediately.. no damage other than to the prop.

I am thinking about the replacment.. Any ideas on a composite prop... Or should I go back with a wooden one. If I go composite,, should it be a high horsepower... EA81 on a KB2 --- is that considered high horsepower? I like the composite props because you can replace just one blade if something happens. Should I go with more than 2 blades on the composite prop? My prop now is a 56inch with what I figure to be 16 pitch. My KB2 will take up to a 58 inch without any clearance problems. Should I go with a 58 or stay with the 56?

Anyone with ideas or experience out there,,, I would really like to hear from you..

thanks

david branton

Hey David,
Sorry to hear your prop repair did not hold. I don't think you can go any larger than the prop you had. Let me know next time you go to the airport. I need to run my motor and keep oil on the bearing.

Hey Mark,

I only went out for a few minutes to perform a MOC.. Maintenance Operational Check.... old military term. Basically run everything up to speed and see if it stays together... Anyway.. Any recomendation on the prop.

I have been really busy persueing a government bids/contract. Now that I submitted it, time should be more available to engage with friends..

Hope to talk to you soon..

david

You could send the prop to Tennessee prop, they fixed mine.

I have a Brand New 52 X 26 Tennessee Prop with inlaid leading edge protection for a EA-81 direct drive. I will be at Mentone or can ship. Look me up at Advanced Rotor Designs..

Hi David

Some questions about your EA-81------is it single carb or dual carb--does it have hydrualic lifters or solid lifters has it had a special re-grind cam installed(did it come from a manual transmission or a automatic transmission)--what rpm are you trying to run it ---does the gyro have a step keel -----what kind of exhaust system does it have. Once these are known then a possible recommendation on the prop.

Tony

Tony,
Its an engine combination that Mr. Subura put together. His machine does well. It hot here to be flying anything, 106 with a 115 index. He picked up a rock while taxing and it put one heck of a gouge in his prop.

Hey Mark

How goes?? Am assuming this is a direct drive engine and with a 56 inch prop so it cannot be turning up at high speeds, that is whay I was wondering what had been done to the engine to give it power at lower speeds------or ------if it was operating down on the power curve, regardless of the pitch, the diameter is going to determine the max rpm. Do you know if this is a custom stroker or high performance special build ?

Tony

Tony,
I don't remember the length, I just remember the prop was right for the engine, I don't see how David is going to get a bigger prop on that frame, In fact Ricks Prop sounds like the right size. Its been a while since I have seen the gyro, I will have to look at it again.

David give me a call at your convenience.

Thanks Everyone,,

Sounds like i need to stay with the exact set up on it now. I measured it again,, I'm not sure where I got 56 inches from. Its definately a 52 inch prop... 26 pitch sounds right,, but there aren't any other numbers stamped on the prop.

Mark,,I'm not sure when I'll be at the Airport again. I was only there long enough to figure out that the prop repair didn't hold... about 10 minutes. Now, I guess I'm waiting on replacing the prop before I go again. I couldn't hardly wait to go --- then the disappointment set in. We don't have to go to the airport to do something. Let me know,, we'll cook or something.

david branton
318 446-1278

I was checking out Tennessee Propellers... maybe I should ship it to them for repair.. sounds cheaper than new and rebalanced...

david branton

Mark,

My droid (cell phone) had some issues. Verizon replaced it under warranty.. only thing,, I lost a few numbers. One of which was yours. Please give me a call so I can add you back into my phone. One more excuse why I haven't been in touch with you.

david branton
318 446-1278

David,
Bill came by a few minutes ago to look at the Weber Motor. I told him bout your prop. Send Rick a PM and maybe he will give you a deal you can refuse for the prop he has. 3183082400