KB2 Prop

dbranton28

I had a rock go through my prop. A wooden 56 inch. I fixed it with filler and the fiberglassed over it. Looked good,, seem right.... I took it out yesterday and the fiberglass delaminated and the wood filler flew out. I noticed the difference in sound immediately.. no damage other than to the prop.

I am thinking about the replacment.. Any ideas on a composite prop... Or should I go back with a wooden one. If I go composite,, should it be a high horsepower... EA81 on a KB2 --- is that considered high horsepower? I like the composite props because you can replace just one blade if something happens. Should I go with more than 2 blades on the composite prop? My prop now is a 56inch with what I figure to be 16 pitch. My KB2 will take up to a 58 inch without any clearance problems. Should I go with a 58 or stay with the 56?

Anyone with ideas or experience out there,,, I would really like to hear from you..

thanks

david branton

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Hey David,
Sorry to hear your prop repair did not hold. I don't think you can go any larger than the prop you had. Let me know next time you go to the airport. I need to run my motor and keep oil on the bearing.

dbranton28

Hey Mark,

I only went out for a few minutes to perform a MOC.. Maintenance Operational Check.... old military term. Basically run everything up to speed and see if it stays together... Anyway.. Any recomendation on the prop.

I have been really busy persueing a government bids/contract. Now that I submitted it, time should be more available to engage with friends..

Hope to talk to you soon..

david

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
You could send the prop to Tennessee prop, they fixed mine.

Rick Whittridge

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bensen B8-M / Twinstarr
I have a Brand New 52 X 26 Tennessee Prop with inlaid leading edge protection for a EA-81 direct drive. I will be at Mentone or can ship. Look me up at Advanced Rotor Designs..

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi David

Some questions about your EA-81------is it single carb or dual carb--does it have hydrualic lifters or solid lifters has it had a special re-grind cam installed(did it come from a manual transmission or a automatic transmission)--what rpm are you trying to run it ---does the gyro have a step keel -----what kind of exhaust system does it have. Once these are known then a possible recommendation on the prop.

Tony

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Tony,
Its an engine combination that Mr. Subura put together. His machine does well. It hot here to be flying anything, 106 with a 115 index. He picked up a rock while taxing and it put one heck of a gouge in his prop.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hey Mark

How goes?? Am assuming this is a direct drive engine and with a 56 inch prop so it cannot be turning up at high speeds, that is whay I was wondering what had been done to the engine to give it power at lower speeds------or ------if it was operating down on the power curve, regardless of the pitch, the diameter is going to determine the max rpm. Do you know if this is a custom stroker or high performance special build ?

Tony

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Tony,
I don't remember the length, I just remember the prop was right for the engine, I don't see how David is going to get a bigger prop on that frame, In fact Ricks Prop sounds like the right size. Its been a while since I have seen the gyro, I will have to look at it again.

David give me a call at your convenience.

dbranton28

Thanks Everyone,,

Sounds like i need to stay with the exact set up on it now. I measured it again,, I'm not sure where I got 56 inches from. Its definately a 52 inch prop... 26 pitch sounds right,, but there aren't any other numbers stamped on the prop.

Mark,,I'm not sure when I'll be at the Airport again. I was only there long enough to figure out that the prop repair didn't hold... about 10 minutes. Now, I guess I'm waiting on replacing the prop before I go again. I couldn't hardly wait to go --- then the disappointment set in. We don't have to go to the airport to do something. Let me know,, we'll cook or something.

david branton
318 446-1278

dbranton28

I was checking out Tennessee Propellers... maybe I should ship it to them for repair.. sounds cheaper than new and rebalanced...

david branton

dbranton28

Mark,

My droid (cell phone) had some issues. Verizon replaced it under warranty.. only thing,, I lost a few numbers. One of which was yours. Please give me a call so I can add you back into my phone. One more excuse why I haven't been in touch with you.

david branton
318 446-1278

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
David,
Bill came by a few minutes ago to look at the Weber Motor. I told him bout your prop. Send Rick a PM and maybe he will give you a deal you can refuse for the prop he has. 3183082400