Kamov Ka-50

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18 / Aviomania G2sA-2
Total Flight Time
500+
I am not enjoying the war in Ukraine and am quite concerned about it, but I note that the Ka-50 is getting a lot of coverage in the news.
One was shot down yesterday/day before in a spectacular video.
My interest is in the coaxial rotor system.
I know Sikorsky has used a coaxial system for the X2, but is Kamov the most successful with the concept?

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
what about the Kaman K-Max

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
I do love coaxials, I know they have some drawbacks but a tail rotor is a pretty big drawback too, would like to see more manufactures going in this direction.

Rotorschmiede have built some very nice machines.

Wonder how coaxials compare control wise, must be easier surely.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I’ve been trying to get one into the US for some time now….. not an easy task…. But I’m not quitting!!!! 😁👍🏻

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18 / Aviomania G2sA-2
Total Flight Time
500+
Wow, is that right (the Ka-26 is powered by M-14P radial engines) !?

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
The [Ka-26's] reciprocating engines are more responsive than turboshaft engines, but require more maintenance. It runs mostly at 95% power in crop dusting with usually excess payload, leaving little reserve power for emergencies. Due to frequent overloads, the interconnect shaft joining the two engines is prone to breakage and requires frequent inspection. –Wikipedia

Sounds like a nightmare for maintenance.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
That sounds like Wikipedia! 😂🤣😂

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Wonder how coaxials compare control wise, must be easier surely.
How would it be easier?

Without a tail rotor, you still need to control yaw, so you will need pedals. They just achieve the effect through different mechanisms (e.g., differential collective action on the two rotors).

(Pet peeve department tangential comment: the Ka-26 has two coaxial rotors and six blades, so it makes a good example for something that truly bugs me. Many of the gyronauts on this forum think they have two rotors on their gyro but I've never seen such a beast. They're BLADES, not "rotors". My three-bladed J-2 had only one rotor, and your Cavalon, ELA, Barnett, Bensen, or whatever likewise has only ONE rotor. )

Last edited:

martin-av8r

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator installation of a Yamaha Sidewinder Turbo , Big tires and FOX 2.0 AIR shocks
Total Flight Time
student pilot at the moment
The sounds !

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
It’s a pretty amazing machine.
There are 2 in the US….. One is in a helicopter Museum someplace out west….. owner will not part with it.
The other one is somewhere in the NE….. not registered. I know the owner took a few lessons in it but I don’t know if it was actually in flyable condition.
I had one arranged to come in from Hungary and the company was going to disassemble it….container it ….set it up and test fly it here……. Could never find an importing broker to want to do any of the work 😖
I have enough spare parts in my hanger to build two of those engines!! 😁
The great Chuck Aaron (RedBull) was gonna help me with some training.
2F6209AB-E9A4-4E70-99C4-F3A243EBB3BD.jpeg

Last edited:

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Planning to register as Experimental - Exhibition?

Wouldn't seem to fit anywhere else...

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Approach only from the rear! Did you notice how the guy on the outside was practically hugging the cabin area in that video?

FlintHelo

Total Flight Time
12,000+
It’s a pretty amazing machine.
There are 2 in the US….. One is in a helicopter Museum someplace out west….. owner will not part with it.
The other one is somewhere in the NE….. not registered. I know the owner took a few lessons in it but I don’t know if it was actually in flyable condition.
I had one arranged to come in from Hungary and the company was going to disassemble it….container it ….set it up and test fly it here……. Could never find an importing broker to want to do any of the work 😖
I have enough spare parts in my hanger to build two of those engines!! 😁
The great Chuck Aaron (RedBull) was gonna help me with some training.
View attachment 1154330
I'll teach ya! Got lots of time in a BO-105 like Mr. Aaron, but it was mostly NORMAL flying! And I've operated and maintained an M14PF since 2008.

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
How would it be easier?

Without a tail rotor, you still need to control yaw, so you will need pedals. They just achieve the effect through different mechanisms (e.g., differential collective action on the two rotors).

(Pet peeve department tangential comment: the Ka-26 has two coaxial rotors and six blades, so it makes a good example for something that truly bugs me. Many of the gyronauts on this forum think they have two rotors on their gyro but I've never seen such a beast. They're BLADES, not "rotors". My three-bladed J-2 had only one rotor, and your Cavalon, ELA, Barnett, Bensen, or whatever likewise has only ONE rotor. )
I would imagine it's easier because there's no torque to balance when altering collective. There's also no tail rotor causing a sideways drift to counteract. I've read that coaxial's are more stable but less manoeuvrable. I used to think that the coaxial configuration gave gyroscopic stability but I'm not so sure now as the gyroscopic forces cancel each other out with twin opposing rotors. I will soon find out if it's easier or not.