Just ordered my gyro today

aerobatic

Aircraft
Murphy Renegade II, Auto-gyro Calidus
Total Flight Time
500 h
After 20 hours of training in gyro, my mind is set. I love flying my biplane, but even with my new engine, a Rotax 582, now that I've done the climb tests to recertificate it, it's clear ; I will never be able to safely bring a passenger who weight more than 125 pounds even with half fuel capacity. I could always try to loose again 40 pounds, but this time it will be as much muscle as fat...

Buying a gyro is the next logical step to me. All my lessons almost occurred in conditions that would have grounded me with the few ultraligths I've owned. Not because they cannot handle it, but because it wasn't fun anymore for me.

The Calidus have all the features I was looking for : stability, agility, visibility, enclosed and heated, and the small footprint needed to get a chance to rent a hangar space at a reasonable price at my local airport (building one that respect the local standards cost more than the Calidus itself!).

Today, I was lucky; I found a sweet spot for the baby, next to a Bell copter and a Robinson 44, in a huge hangar who could easily harbor 3 others rotary wings. And since my Auto-gyro local dealer was already selling an MTO Sport to an Ontarian client, I dipped in and ordered my Calidus to cut the transport fee from Germany in half, since two gyro can make the trip in the same container at no extra cost.

So this is it. 4 to 6 months before I will be able to sit in my own gyro. And try to sell my old homebuilt biiplane before...

Maher

Far out!

They put on a show in Mentone this year.

Going with the 912 or 914T?

Maher,

What engine did you get with Calidus...the 912 works ok but the 914 would be better!

Mike

I choose the 912 because the one I flew had one and didn't feel underpowered in anyway to me (me and my CFI weight 200 pounds each).

At my airport, the landing strip is way longer than at school, and many people told me that the turbo 914 is a bit more delicate than the 912.

Maher

Hello,

the 912 is plenty for the Calidus. The better aerodynamics really pay off. I would recommend the adjustable prop.

Kai.

Hello,

the 912 is plenty for the Calidus. The better aerodynamics really pay off. I would recommend the adjustable prop.

Kai.

Yes, I choose it, with the manifold pressure gauge that is recommended with the adjustable prop. One thing that I like with the Calidus is that at 165 mph, the vibrations are minimal compare to the MTO Sport. The Orion I tried was very shaky, but it's suppose to be just a matter of adjustment.

My other big addition was a summer canopy with permanent opening on each side. I didn't want a sunroof on the normal canopy because I want as much visibility as possible, but it can be suffocatingly hot when you are taxing at low speed or waiting still that someone clear the runaway.

I'm thinking he meant kph, not mph.

Sorry, it's obviously kph not mph!

All my instruments in my biplane are in mph and the european gyros I flew are in kmph (VSI in m/s). But coming from a guy who always messed up left and right, it shouldn't really be a surprise...

Maher

The 165 mph made me grin from ear to ear . . .finally!!!! :D
But no, back to 100 mph which is ok . . .
Good going Maher, have fun!
Heron

Hello,

the stick-shake is indeed not noticable in the Calidus. This is achieved by a split mast. See here at 1:23"

Flying the Calidus gyroplane up the Rhine river - YouTube

A well adjusted M24 Orion is also a pleasure, see at 2:27" in this video from Angelo's (troed) masterpiece:

Magni M24 first flight - YouTube

As I said earlier, it is a pleasure to fly, especially long distance. It is, however, a bit twitchy on the ground and whenever you change throttle settings. Once you are used to it, you won't notice it any more.

Kai.