Just can't get my head around this description

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
Some time ago I found an article on the Scheutzow Stork. I have been doing alot of research on it. I have found everything I could, even did patent searches (in one of the articles it mentioned he was seeking new patents on the head design).

stork raven weight shift.jpg

I posted a question here and asked if anyone was familar with the guy or design. Chuck Beaty had said he met him at Oshkosh before Scheutzow had his heart attach (if I remember right, correct me if I am wrong Chuck). The reduction unit used was from Chuck's design for his 3 bladed helicopter from the 70's? (again if I am wrong Chuck correct me.) Other than that no other information. I kept searching though.

Still nothing new so I am hoping someone on here can if possible clear up some questions with either explination and or also with pictures?

I am mainly in question about the head design.

1. How can you set it up to where when throttle is applied the rotors go to fixed positive pitch and throttle/rpms provide the lift and when throttle is reduced the blade pitch returns to autorotational settings?

2. It was explained in the article that the blades are mounted rigidly in plane, with an offset flapping hinge and Delta 3 of 15 degrees. Can not picture in my head how you would do this?

3. I understand that the rigid in plane mounting of the main rotor was to give better control response since it is weight shift controlled and to be able to use a short main rotor mast. But wouldn't this also dramatically increase the strain on the rotorblades? What is the advantage?

4. I believe the Delta 3 is to control blade flap to prevent collision with the airframe?

5. Offset flapping hinge I think is to allow more control power thru the center of gravity?

Thanks for the help guys,

David M.
San Jose, CA

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Wow, that is very interesting !

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Check out the Cierva autodynamic rotor.

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
Thanks for the heads up on the Cierva autodynamic rotor. I think the head used on the Stork is alot less complicated. The NASA paper I found covered alot of the heads that were autodynamic. Very interesting read.