Junk yard dog picture

The basic trim pressure you feel flying your gyro comes mainly from the amount of gimble offset and to a lesser extent the blades used. (High performance blades like Dragon Wings or Sport Rotors require more spring tension than Bensen blades.) Most heads have about 1" offset. Reducing the offset lessens the trim spring tension required, while at the same time reduces the stability the offset provides.The head isn't visible in the pics, but, with an electric set-up there is also the possibility the failed trim actuator caused it to require more back pressure. If that's what happened, you may need to redesign the electric trim so that can't happen. You could use a long trim spring from the torque tube to the mast that partly compensates for the offset, along with the electric one to add both redundancy and adjustability. If either one individually failed, you would still have partial compensation.

Hang testing is mostly about control centering and doesn't have much, if anything at all, to do with trim pressures.

Last edited:
I will tell Larry that you want to talk to him. You could call him at 610-698-7716.

am I correct?

am I correct?

Larry,
Is the JYD-1 a one-off design or is based largely on any other gyroplane?
That Grove gear is good stuff ! I've used that type of gear for about 10 years and it is most excellent at absorbing vertical force.
More pictures/performance data, please?
Brian

Brian, A little story. On the first flight, the tall tail was to effective and the gyro wanted to fly left or right, (that explains the anti servo rudder trim devise) but not straight. I am getting to the end of the runway and is time to land.Got it straightened out with little runway left. I flaired and it landed before I did. In other words because I was sitting higher than what I am used to in my RAF , I misjudged the height. Needless to say , but I pounded it into the ground and got launched about 10 ft in the air. Flew out of it and landed in the runoff. I shut down the engine and got out to look at all the damage I expected to find. To my amazement, that Grove Gear sucked up that impact and no damage whatsoever except for my ego. I am very happy with Grove gear and would recommend it on any build.
Also, the design is part Mad Max design with some imagination and innovation. Like most gyros, only one in the world.

Last edited:
Update to JYD. Early June did a full power fly by with a full power turning climb. What a rush. Just as I hit the top of the climb at about 800 AGL, engine went down to 3 cylinders. I immediately headed back to the airport. I was losing altitude so I went to full throttle. The idea that Subaru EJ22 engines are bulletproof was busted. The engine went boom and I found out I have a auto smoker system on board.I blew a hole on the top by the crankshaft on number 1 cylinder. Cleared a row of trees before the airport by a few feet and landed dead stick sideways on the taxiway on number10 runway. I bought an engine with some goodies from SSI Subies and am back in business. More Hp than the other one and more adventure ahead.

I may consider selling the JYD-1 for a reasonable offer. This is a one of a kind gyro with new engine with FI and delta cam grind.I will miss the JYD but am thinking of possibly moving up to a Calidus. I have to make room in my hanger. I am just now looking for a prospective buyer for the spring. Please contact me by email if interested.I am asking $16500, but will consider any reasonable, fair offer. This machine needs nothing but some warmer weather and a experienced pilot with an appreciation for performance and Quality.

Let's make a trade. You get the JYD and I take the 2 place AC off your hands. I'll have it flying in 2 weeks and you can fly now. Also you give me the $500.����

We'll talk about it if you ever come back to PA.

You are gonna miss this huge snowstorm tomorrow !

Nice landing gear, tell us more about it. is it off a another type of aircraft? custom made? what does it weigh?

looks very nice.

Looks Like a Kitfox unit. You can get them with brake fluid channels made-in.

Where is the JYD now? Any performance numbers available? Which model Subaru is the new fuel-injected engine?
I want to build one.... :biggrin:
Brian