Jukka Tervamaki on gyro accidents

gyrogreg

Aircraft
Magni M-16 Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
3000 total, 2000 Gyro
Jukka has just added a new page on his website - Autogyro Safety (pitch instability). Go to this link:http://www.tervis.fidisk.fi/gyrosafety.html

At the bottom of this new page, also go to the "Accidents" link - new page also. This is an interesting discussion of the various incidents Jukka had during his various gyro developments.

For those who are not familiar with Jukka, he is an icon in the early efforts to make gyroplanes more stable and safer. Yukka has been a professor in Aeronautical Engineering at the Helsinki University in Finland, and had been designing and flying gyros since the late 1950's. Evolving from the basic Bensen B8M, Jukka developed several advanced gyroplane models - JT 1&2, ATE 3, and the beautiful JT-5 - emphasizing the value of a horizontal stabilizer. The pages above highlight the frustrations of many in those early days trying to improve gyro stability and safety - spurred on by several accidents in Europe.

Jukka's other expertise is in composite structures - he is also very active in glider development, fabrication and sport. Jukka is probably the first to develop a fiberglass rotor - he discusses that development in these links above too. That rotor is the predecessor to the current Magni gyro rotor design (which Magni has further evolved).

Jukka eventually collaborated with Vittorio Magni in the experimental development of several gyro models.
MY-7 (Magni Tervamaki 7). Eventually, Vittorio Magni bought the rights to the JT-5 and the fiberglass rotor design - evolving that into today's Magni Gyro models.

You would probably find Jukka's full website very interesting and instructive: http://www.saunalahti.fi/jtki1/index.html. His thoughts on an Electric Gyro are also very intriguing. Check out his Gyro Performance Calculator.

Thanks, Greg Gremminger

Last edited:

Hognose

Platinum Member
Aircraft
PA-28/J-3/various
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 2.5! FW, hundreds not thousands. Helo, 0 (some day!)
Patience is not my thing...

Patience is not my thing...

...so I'm going nuts waiting for this page to load.

When Jukka Tervamaki talks, I listen.

Ah, but the page didn't load at all. I tried it both from the specific link and from his main page. It could be at my end. Some work stuff is beating up my network connexion right now.

I have to add Finland to my list of most wanted yet-unvisited places. I have met or heard of so many interesting Finns that I want to see the land they come from.

UPDATE: The text of the message loaded, but it took 20 minutes. The images mostly failed. That's OK as I have seen things like the fatal accident to Mr Judge and don't neeed to see that again. This bit of the page is a bit sad, but will be familiar to many of us.

As I expected Bensen did not like my article. When I visited the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh 1974 he neither wanted to talk with me or take a look at my 8 mm movie of the JT-5 gyro in the air. Regrettably, the end of the friendship. Brock, Wallis and many others did not agree either, not even 30 years later after many, many similar accidents.
At least you could have a talk with Ken Brock (RIP) or WingCo Wallis about this, and disagree like gentlemen.

cheers

-=K=-

Last edited:

gyrogreg

Aircraft
Magni M-16 Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
3000 total, 2000 Gyro
Page loading

Page loading

Having trouble with this page also - was in my cache was what I was looking at. I'll email Jukka to let him know that page is having trouble loading.

Thanks, Greg

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
Having trouble with this page also - was in my cache was what I was looking at. I'll email Jukka to let him know that page is having trouble loading.

Thanks, Greg
I couldn't get it to load either, but look forward to reading it.

Thanks Greg.

Hognose

Platinum Member
Aircraft
PA-28/J-3/various
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 2.5! FW, hundreds not thousands. Helo, 0 (some day!)
I did get the text as I said. Some of the links loaded, some didn't, and all of them at the moment have a 503 error in Finnish, which is not among my linguistic achievements.

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

fidiskillä on huoltokatkos, lisätietoja Macsanomissa.
I'll take that to mean, "it's messed up now, come back later."

cheers

-=K=-

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
While we are talking about Jukka. Is he still active in Gyro-design?
What ever happend to his JT7 design of a SxS 2-seater. It seems to be the thing to come.

Kai.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Great page!

Thanks for posting!