jetpack at last

Yes, but the old ones were H2O2 and only went for less than a minute. They started with actual jet-engines but dropped the program.
This one may actually make it to the marketplace.

Kai.

The rocket powered pack had only seconds of flight time but the one with the little jet engine could fly for 30 Minuits , it was much bigger than the rocket pack.
Norm

Actually I just talked to the company's principal David Mayman about 2 weeks ago. It is new, more capable breakthrough in jet packs. Innovation is not always a blast, its incremental. I am glad he was able to convince FAA after a safety flight review to do this demonstration. Hope to work and help these guys later on next year. I think its a cool thing they are doing.

Yes, but the old ones were H2O2 and only went for less than a minute. They started with actual jet-engines but dropped the program.
This one may actually make it to the marketplace.

Kai.

Hi Kai:
Yes I think there are strategies right now in development to bring this to market for all to have access to without going through a Type Certificate of a jet powered airplane which is what at first FAA asked them to do and of course that just makes no sense on this so there will either have to be a new category or some work around

The Martin Backpack is wayyyy noisey and very bulky compared to the machine above. The real hurdle I see is the blast is very hot and very close to the calves of the operators` leqs.

Hi Kai:
Yes I think there are strategies right now in development to bring this to market for all to have access to without going through a Type Certificate of a jet powered airplane which is what at first FAA asked them to do and of course that just makes no sense on this so there will either have to be a new category or some work around

No special category required.
As long as it is less than 254lbs, single seated, and carries less than 5gal of fuel, can fly slower than 24kts and no faster than 55; It is an Ultralight.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing the regulations to prevent Turbine Powered Ultralights!

Engine failure is the most common problem that brings down aircraft and every thing in this aircraft is dependent on having both engines operating 100% equal.
The practical problem is that ANY malfunction is going to go very badly in a hurry.
I suspect that flying over water was chosen as the preferred emergency landing option and not a statement of confidence.

Last edited:
No special category required.
As long as it is less than 254lbs, single seated, and carries less than 5gal of fuel, can fly slower than 24kts and no faster than 55; It is an Ultralight.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing the regulations to prevent Turbine Powered Ultralights!

You missed the part about being able to fly up to 100 mph in their video.
Also if they want it to last more than 10 minutes, it would probably go over that weight by a bit. Slower is no problem it takes off and landing vertically. Come to think of it, it takes off vertically, lands with zero roll, can fly at 100 mph ... hey that sounds better than most of today's gyroplanes.

I saw nothing in the video about 100 mph.
The post, Yes! The video, no!

Their literature states the JB-9 Jet Pack is limited to 55mph. Wonder Why?
However, I now see that it carries 10 gal of fuel and burns a gallon a minute.
That will be a problem.

Anything with a thrust to weight ratio of more than 1:1 is going to be a gas guzzler!

Jet packs are destined to be a novelty aircraft.
The safety aspect is just not inherent to the design.
Flying high and carrying a parachute defeats the whole premise.

Willie: Actually if you watch the video on Youtube directly and read what they are saying you'll see it: Very top comment from the company:
"Thanks for all the comments!! It's amazing. We are sticking by the World's only JetPack title. When someone else develops a jet engined (not a gasoline powered ducted fan that weighs several hundred of kilos) backpack that the pilot can jog down the road with - then we will change the title. Our R&D plan includes longer endurance but trust me, when you fly at more than 100 mph for 10 minutes + you will know you're flying the world's only jetpack. One day we will be in a position to sell them and maybe sooner than people think but we want to make sure we have all the training systems etc right first. JB-9 is amazing but it's just the start!!"

When I talked to David, I told him that it could get under Part 103 and what specs are needed to do that. I guess they may be deciding to start that way then but then they should be way more careful than running off 100 mph figures in comments

Thanks for posting Kai - good to see this idea continuing to evolve.

...When I talked to David, I told him that it could get under Part 103 and what specs are needed to do that.
I guess they may be deciding to start that way then but then they should be way more careful than running off 100 mph figures in comments

I agree!
If that is the case. Their demo flight might get more attention than they may have hoped for from the FAA.

It is often the case that manufacturers will make overly optimistic claims.
I am willing to dismiss the 100mph claim until it is actually demonstrated.

If they are going to claim 100mph and 10 Gal of gas, it can't be an Ultralight.
If it is NOT an Ultralight, there is list of legal issues with the flight shown in the video.

It...
Does not have a displayed Airworthiness Certificate.
Was not registered. Did not display N-numbers.
Was flying under the NYC Mode C Umbrella without a Transponder.

Don't get me wrong; I love the concept and would be willing to turn a blind eye to watch another demo in person.
I saw nothing dangerous or irresponsible. It appeared to be a well thought out operation.

I wish them nothing but the best, but I wonder where they can go with this as a viable enterprise.