Jay Boyce, of Massachusetts, has passed on

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Received a text today from Jay's wife, informing of his death from liver cancer on Dec.22. He & I had just been texting about three weeks earlier. He related that he was in pain and bedridden.
He had purchased a new Tango gyroplane tail last year or so that he was planning on selling. I know he had a Soma gyroplane airframe and some Sport Copter parts, including their hefty assembly manual for their Lightning & Vortex kits.
His wife will be offering up for sale his various gyro parts soon.

Some out there may remember Jay as the crazy gyro flyer who built and flew a GyroBee. I'm not sure if I correctly remember, but he said he would trailer it to both Bensen Days as well as Mentone. He kept up-powering it until he was buzzing around w/ a 582. A few told him outright that he was going to kill himself by over-powering the GyroBee. He would get a good laugh @ those suggestions!

He related to me of his time flying around w/ & hanging out w/ the flyers @ the Crow Island airstrip in Massachusetts. He knew there was someone flying out of there in one of the European tandem gyros recently.

He said he sold that 'Bee & regretted it later. So, he was starting another build w/ various parts he had accumulated.

Last edited:

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I remember him and his Gyrobee. He was a cool dude. Sad he died

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Sorry to hear that, I liked talking to Jay at the fly ins back in the day...R.I.P.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
I ran into Jay at flyins, too. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, too young.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Forgot to mention that Jay had told me that he was the main financial backer of StarBee gyro kits. Somehow that relationship ended & so did the company activity WRT advertising as well as going to flying events to have their product on display for potential customers.