Jan 2020 FAA deadline to install ADS-B in your aircraft, or not?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
You guys rock. Left a message.
Discovered that the T22 can use the Garmin 400 and 500 (the one I own) series as the receiver.
So might add a GPS navigation device to the give-away????
Do most of you already have a GPS navigation device installed?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Would you rather have a WAAS receiver or a GPS navigation device?

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
John, is it the Garmin G500 that you have, or the Aera 500? Portable GPS/navigation devices are great for ADS-B In, but they are not allowed to be used for ADS-B Out, unfortunately.
I have an Aera 660 for navigation (and ADS-B In), but had to get a permanently mounted Garmin 20A (with external antenna) for ADS-B Out.

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thank you, Tyger,

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Ya, that's what I have – bare-bones, but it's small, it works, and doesn't cost a fortune.

This is the GPS antenna I have, also from Garmin: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garminga35waasant.php
Was a bit of a pain mounting that, though, as it does need a decent view of the sky. There may be smaller ones that will also work.

The Trig T22 transponder will need its own bottom-mounted antenna, if you don't already have something similar,
e.g. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/antenna_adsb/monopole11-13561.php

Then you'll probably need yet another antenna, such as a GDL39, if you also want ADS-B In. My Aera 660 connects with that via bluetooth, for traffic and weather. If you get Out, you really ought to go for In, too. Seeing nearby traffic (and precipitation) is pretty cool, and makes you feel like you're actually getting something for all your trouble.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Tyler please check this out for me. Is this a complete ADS-Out system?
Will give one away a month as long as we can break even.

ADS-B OUT raffle prize, Click Here to learn more >> TRIG 2020 ADS-B BUNDLE $2667.00/ea or Cash equivalent towards the system you want.
This allows me to make the non-taxable, to you, ticket price $10.00 per chance to win.

Trig’s 2020 ADS-B Bundle, for light-sport, experimental and home builders. Trig’s ADS-B kit contains all the certified components needed to allow flight in 2020 rule ADS-B airspace for these aircraft types.

The ADS-B Bundle features; Trig’s highly popular TT22 compact transponder, the latest TN72 X GPS Position Source (certified to TSO-C199) and the matching TA70 GPS antenna. This provides a fully compatible ADS-B Out solution that meets the requirements of FAR 91.227 for light-sport and experimental aircraft. Customers will save by purchasing the bundle over the regular price.

All Trig products are supported by a two-year warranty (from date of installation) and the U.S. based technical support.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
That looks to me like it would work, and having it be all Trig is probably a plus, as they'll specify exactly what settings to use, etc. Only thing missing is a transponder antenna (not expensive, and probably best as an individual choice).
I have both a Trig radio and transponder, with the remote panel mounts, and I think they're great.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
That looks to me like it would work, and having it be all Trig is probably a plus, as they'll specify exactly what settings to use, etc. Only thing missing is a transponder antenna (not expensive, and probably best as an individual choice).
I have both a Trig radio and transponder, with the remote panel mounts, and I think they're great.
That is what I was thinking. Thank you for checking it for me!!! (So does that mean I can blame you with complaints?) HahahahahahaHehehehe, I'm like that... Not really. I actually think I'm funny.

I did look for an ADS-B IN solution. There are too many options. The only way for that may be to offer $2,500 towards the in a solution each wants in a separate raffle.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
More info re the WAAS "requirement":
'The Notam reads: “It is not necessary for operators of aircraft equipped with the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) (TSO−C145 or TSO−C146) receivers to conduct a preflight availability prediction.”
... all ADS-B units certified for GA aircraft for the 2020 mandate must use a WAAS GPS receiver as a position source. “There are currently zero non-WAAS based ADS-B Out GPS solutions for general aviation aircraft.... For GA, [ADS-B preflighting] is a non-issue.” '