IT's NOT ME!!! I'm fine!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Our local EMS has just attended a gyro accident near the local large cattle feedlot ...near Potwin.

I have received a couple of calls from concerned friends.

I'm fine ...staying grounded today!

Sadly I think I know who - it's a green/cammo MTO sport machine! (smoking hole ...not looking good!)

RIP.:cry::mad: Dammit!

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Sad news for all concerned.

Local media now report two fatalities

""Two people are dead after a gyrocopter wreck in Butler County, according to 911 emergency communications.

The crash was reported at 1:45 p.m. in between Whitewater and Potwin. The two people were the only ones in the aircraft, an official said. The original report was that one person died.

A gyrocopter looks similar to a helicopter but is powered differently.""

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article246932077.html#storylink=cpy

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I A86B3484-DB51-46EA-BCCC-DDDC67B0B8D9.jpeg
Kerry Trent and his military-theme decal’d machine at our EAA 88 late September fly-in! So very sad to lose a new KS gyro pilot ... we never even had a chance to fly & fellowship together! This is too sad ....heartfelt condolences to the families grieving today!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
The Wichita FSDO ...reached out to me to assist in the examination of wreckage ..and help their examiner understand gyroplane anatomy!
A grim "honor" to be able of offer what expertise I can!
Spent two hours this afternoon taking a close look at burned & twisted MTO remains and offer insights on how the parts typically distort in the impact profile of machine & ground.
As the wreckage had been scooped up and relocated to a tow-company yard ... there were challenges in interpretation that should be mediated when the in-situ photos become available!

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
They reached out for expertise and knowledge.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I will be getting access to a file of in situ photos on Monday.
Wishing there was a good eye witness who saw the deviation from S&L cruise flight to lawn-dart attitude! ...as with my Jim's accident - it sure helps figure things out with nearby observer/s!

Heartwrenching ..for the families - as I well know the road!

Hoping autopsy may prove a medical issue. Similarities very strong to Jim's & Alex Vagners accidents ....both medical events rendering pilot unconscious in flight! So awful that this one took an innocent passenger too!

Last edited: