It's not an ordinary aircraft.

My mother used to say; “It looks so dangerous, sitting out in the open like that.”

A tv journalist expresses it while they were watching me flying
"The looniest contraption ever made by man."

I watch the video and the joystick controlled the rotor in 4 different ways not what I have usually seen on gyro's does he have some type of pitch adjustment for rotor attack angle?

I appears typical to me.

I appears typical to me.

I watch the video and the joystick controlled the rotor in 4 different ways not what I have usually seen on gyro's does he have some type of pitch adjustment for rotor attack angle?

It appears to me that the rotor head tilts left and right and front and back.

Up and down is what some people call front or back.

ok but is this all normal on all gyro or just on some with different licensing?
I have look and studied plans for gyro's and never really saw this setup.
or i missed it?

Good video;

Good video;

Gets the message across real good. Thanks for posting it.

Not an ordinary aircraft.

ok but is this all normal on all gyro or just on some with different licensing?
I have look and studied plans for gyro's and never really saw this setup.
or i missed it?

I'm not sure of your question.

If you move the cyclic stick, the rotor disc adjusts toward the direction you moved. The cyclic moves in any direction except up and down.

Since the disc is always "leaned back" somewhat, the movement isn't as pronounced as on a helo. Also, since your thrust is forward, the only way to fly backward is when the wind is strong enough to cancel out the thrust from the prop.

Great video Giorgos, thanks for posting

Here’s another great old one, saw some years ago and loved. The bit at 2:18 where the guys has lost a wheel 'so just sets it down and sticks his leg out like he does with his Harley Davidson' is just priceless. Cool guy handling an emergency
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwKfDZv2I0

And another that Tom found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw_z3QotaJ8

This just sums up the joy of single seat flying.

Resasi.
Those two Bensen tapes cost me a lot of money to watch them during that time. Neither my tape player nor TV could play NTSC system. For this reason I had to buy a new VHS NTSC player and a new TV. It was much later that you could convert the tapes from one system into the other, to PAL.
You cannot imagine how many times I watched them after that.

Last edited:
Giorgos, you were so right. Fly a Bensen and you are hooked for life. It was a superb little machine, and I loved it. Of all the single I have flown it was the most agile and nimble, a huge pleasure to fly and a privilege to have started on it. It was an old machine built by my Instructor Tony Melody and over 30 years old. I bought into the syndicate to train on it, but afterwards Tony was fantastically generous in letting me share it, as he never used it.

We never appreciated how fortunate we were to be at RAF Rissington, for on the weekdays we were almost the only ones along with a few of the fixed wing private owners who used it. The Merlin helicopters from RAF Bensen would come and do some practice there, The SAS would sometimes be dropping in and it was an emergency divert from RAF Brize Norton. The RAF VGS only came on weekends. But on most weekdays I could just drive up from London and go and have fun. It had a lot of rough patches but the main runway was in good shape, in the middle of lovely countryside. We miss it a lot.

One practice session when I had put the camera on the machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbwc3vXCEE

Leigh,
Why did you hide the video from us for so many years??..... Joking....I liked it.

Let Me Try to explain.

Most of the Gyro's I have seen Bensen style, only have forward and backwards on the stick no side to side.
Unless I have Seen and read the plans wrong, if I did well then I need my eye's and brain to be adjusted.

The top video has side to side or right to left on the stick to adjust angle of blades.
I have not seen this option before. or never noticed it.

Yes Giorgos, it was. I love flying on really windy days, that little machine just handles it so well.

I have flown most gyro's out there, The Bensen is the easiest most maneuverable pilot friendly gyro out there. It is probably not the gyro to circumvent the world, but for pure flying enjoyment, it has to be my top pic.

I have not seen this option before. or never noticed it.

I think I understand the problem.

Unlike a fixed wing aircraft, rotorcraft are controlled with SMALL motions, more pressure than push. You won't usually see these motions unless you're actually aboard the aircraft. The only real exceptions are the stabs made with cyclic stick in a helo to go from hover into transitional flight -- which you absolutely NEVER wand to see someone do on a gyro (the rotor disc unloads and you have problems).

Look at the Ken Brock video and you see him checking control freedom during preflight.

If you look at the old Bensen documentation, you see the old overhead teeter bar control, with illustrations showing how you move it the opposite of the direction which you want to go, including right and left angles. Dr Bensen used to say that if you liked to steer your car from the bottom of the steering wheel, you would like the overhead bar. Eventually, however, even he went to a joystick (though he had both control types on one of his trainers).

It is the ability to tilt the disc sideways which makes the gyro such an excellent aircraft for crosswind flying. Tilt it into the wind until you're not drifting, then use rudder to point the nose down the runway and land straight.