Its been a while, need some help with a MAC

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
When I had my KB2, about 15 years or so in the past, I loved my MAC. Never had a MAC attack.

I have aquired a 70hp MAC, in sad shape from years of sitting.
I am going to overhaul it and was wondering if any MAC guys are still out there flying?

I need info on the update for the best rods, how to identify the differences and what I should be running.
I also need the cross references for bearing replacements and any updates for them.

thanks guys
David M.
San Jose, CA

David,
Surely some guys in California associated with the Chapter 1 El Mirage group still are flying Macs,,,,contact them,,,is your best bet,,,,and go to their Chapter Meetings in El Mirage,,,,,,,,

A sad reality. I would not recommend a newby use a Mac engine.
Parts are getting more difficult to find. As I understand it, prices are taking a nosedive from R&D. That tells me, their market is drying up and they have to reduce the retail price to move the parts. My opinion - there are not enough Mac engines out there to keep the business viable.
There are a few pockets of Mac drivers still out there. El Mirage being on of them. Ron Iaconis is another, Gary Goldsberry also.

A sad reality. I would not recommend a newby use a Mac engine.
Parts are getting more difficult to find. As I understand it, prices are taking a nosedive from R&D. That tells me, their market is drying up and they have to reduce the retail price to move the parts. My opinion - there are not enough Mac engines out there to keep the business viable.
There are a few pockets of Mac drivers still out there. El Mirage being on of them. Ron Iaconis is another, Gary Goldsberry also.
Hey David,

Not a newby, if you had read my whole post you would see that I did indeed fly a MAC over 15 years ago. I loved my MAC but sold my gyro due to necessity. I am just ready to build a new gyro and would still love a MAC to power it.

David
David,
Surely some guys in California associated with the Chapter 1 El Mirage group still are flying Macs,,,,contact them,,,is your best bet,,,,and go to their Chapter Meetings in El Mirage,,,,,,,,
Yeah, your right. I will just have to head down and see if I can find one there. Thanks

David

My bad.
I have been flying Macs on my Bensen's for 25 years, and love them also.
Here is a short vid of me a Bensen Days acting like the "Iron Rooster"
Notice my faceshield at the end, I was flying obscured.
The point I meant to make, if I was to build a machine today. It would likely be a drop keel design with a different engine.
The 120hp Yamaha is really impressive.
Yup, A Dominator with a Yamaha.
Yup
yup

I love my Mac. I am flying out of El Mirage just flew it today. There are more than ten Macs here. Sadly I am the only one flying a Mac . There are a couple for sale.

I am still looking Dave. The guys that are selling, could you give me their contact info in a PM?

THANKS
David

sounds good, are you looking for a complete gyro or do you have some parts?

Just need the MAC, have everything else.

Thanks

David

Alright let me see what is out there. 72 or 90? rebuilt or?

prefer 72, will take any as long as it is not just a hunk of metal trash.
Thanks Dave

David

I will make some calls

There is a 72 in Vista. I will get some pics this week