It Followed Me Home

Every word of caution is taken to heart.
I just turned 71 years old and after a hear attack and two stents, the cardiologist tells Me I am in perfect health. I feel good, I feel healthy, no health issues at all. My regular doc tells me that she is amazed at the condition My body is in.
Your advice about following the manual to the T is excellent. I spent over 35 years trying to be a drunk. After I found the program that saved My life, I followed those instructions to the T and have not had a craving or desire to take that next drink since following those instructions, and, being granted that perfect release from alcoholism by that power that I call God.
My youngest son lives in Alaska. He wanted to check out some trails that would take Him up over a mountain and into the Chugach range where He had a permit to take a Dahl ram with His bow.
After climbing, with a 30 pound pack, we stopped right near the summit at a lake and each consumed a sandwich and some water.
While setting there My son declared, Dad, You surprise Me. I figured that when we started climbing over that first scree field that You would get winded and have to turn back. Heck, I had not even began to labor in breathing.
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
A couple of pretty girls that was hiking up the trail, We stepped off to let them pass. That stopped and one declared, Grandpa, Son and Grandson. There is three generations standing right there. My son asked them if they could get a pic of us. Thats me with the orange pack. 😅
IMG_0088.jpg

Nice job MrMarty51! Great achievement beating the addiction. I have a family member on my wife's side that is losing to the addiction. Very sad to see life wasted due to addiction with alcohol and how much harm it causes other family members.

Every word of caution is taken to heart.
I just turned 71 years old and after a hear attack and two stents, the cardiologist tells Me I am in perfect health. I feel good, I feel healthy, no health issues at all. My regular doc tells me that she is amazed at the condition My body is in.
Your advice about following the manual to the T is excellent. I spent over 35 years trying to be a drunk. After I found the program that saved My life, I followed those instructions to the T and have not had a craving or desire to take that next drink since following those instructions, and, being granted that perfect release from alcoholism by that power that I call God.
My youngest son lives in Alaska. He wanted to check out some trails that would take Him up over a mountain and into the Chugach range where He had a permit to take a Dahl ram with His bow.
After climbing, with a 30 pound pack, we stopped right near the summit at a lake and each consumed a sandwich and some water.
While setting there My son declared, Dad, You surprise Me. I figured that when we started climbing over that first scree field that You would get winded and have to turn back. Heck, I had not even began to labor in breathing.
View attachment 1158030
View attachment 1158031
A couple of pretty girls that was hiking up the trail, We stepped off to let them pass. That stopped and one declared, Grandpa, Son and Grandson. There is three generations standing right there. My son asked them if they could get a pic of us. Thats me with the orange pack. 😅
View attachment 1158032
Amazing story sir. Truly inspirational. Just remember reflexes aren’t what they used to be so your pace at learning maybe slower. Please have patience with yourself. Your choice for a tow vehicle for the glider maybe underpowered. Dad said he had to use a 454 V8 station wagon after failing using a small 4 cylinder jeep like vehicle called a name escapes me damn memory it’s the second thing to go. Wait what was the first one? I can’t remember. Lol. Anywho I digress the

A lot of patience and practice, way more practice than someone younger than I, to off set the slower reaction time.
I am going to the local airport and visit with the air tech people over there, see if they know of anyone in the area that is familiar with gyro gliders and gyro planes and see that if there is if I can get some names.
Visit with the named individual(s).

When you tow the glider, the driver has to know what he is doing too and you should also have a spotter with the driver.
I have some time in a 2 seat glider (Plywood bench) The "Team" had a routine and knew the drill.

Last edited:
When you tow the glider, the driver has to know what he is doing too and you should also have a spotter with the driver.
I has some time in a 2 seat glider (Plywood bench) The "Team" had a routine and knew the drill.
So very true to be quite honest the driver kinda is the pilot and the pilot is kind of a passenger. The driver must be versed on blade management. If not he will drive to too fast for the airspeed and flap the blades.

I was thinking of some kind of wireless head set for comms between the vehicle driver and the pilot.
I also am PADI certified diver and thought about an underwater comms set. Then I could also double that set to the gyro glider and then to diving when I’m at the cabin on Tongue River Reservoir. Just recently took out a mortgage loan against My house and property to purchase that.
Also, that is where I most likely would keep the gyro glider, once turned to gyro plane. There is a real nice long solid packed dirt road that has next to no traffic and is plenty of distance for even My friends airplane to land on.
IMG_6170.png

Books and blue prints is ordered.
The old wood blades is glued back together.
IMG_6370.jpeg

Moved the rotor blades to the other side of the shop. Laid them on about six 1X3 strips of wood.
Wheeled the airframe into the shop. While wheeling it around the garage and through the gate, some guy across the street mowing seen that and had to come over and check it out. He said if I get it to flight status to please contact him so He can watch.
I know its been a while since I been on the forum, had the 2000 K3500 Chevy truck, 6.5 diesel needed a tune up, that consists of a set of injectors, glow plugs then I had also ordered in an uprated Glow Plug harness and there was a couple other modifications I wanted to do to make life with an old relic easier to maintain. 😹
It now is done so maybe I can concentrate a little time on this beast.
One of the daughters of the original builder contacted Me and said she had some kind of a control device for it and she wants to get that to Me. Turns out it is a joy stick control. I got to get back into the garage and found the two control rods and the seat too.
I’m thinking even with the second pass through the garage that there most likely is a couple more smaller items I may have missed.
Those items will be used for pattern purposes only.
Thats about all for now as far as working on this poorject.
I have too been looking at go cart wheels, hubs, bearings, hydraulic disk brake rotors, calipers and master cylinders. I think that would be more fun than a piece of plywood pressed against the front tire. Have hydraulic brakes on both side wheels and possibly a litttle more tire, like the bush wheels on a Super Cub or some such. 👍😹

One of the original builders daughters handed off to Me several other gyro glider components.
A joystick controller.
IMG_6411.jpeg
And also these parts.
I have not yet figured out how this all fits together but these parts most likely will never be used by Me.
This part must have been attached to the rotor blades when He had his wreck.
The disk has a bend in it as well as its pin.
IMG_6464.jpeg
IMG_6475.jpeg

I was hoping that the original Benson books and blueprints would be in this big bag full of literature that she also handed off to Me.
No such luck, However while I was gone for about a week the books and blueprints did arrive from Vortech online.
Here is an example of the literature.
There is several Benson brochures.
The receipt is from 1963.
IMG_6466.jpeg
IMG_6467.jpeg
IMG_6468.jpeg
IMG_6469.jpeg
IMG_6470.jpeg
There was quite a few more of those Sport Aviation magazines and I did notice some of them had articles about flying the Benson Gyro Gliders and Gyro Planes. I’ll have to root through the magazines and see what other articles they might contain.