Is "Search forums" function up to speed?

Mac

Aircraft
Dropkeel KB2, EA81, 2.19:1, 68"Warpdrive, 24'Dragonwings, talltail
I am getting "no results found" or limited returns when searching the forum.
Searched "Dominator" only 5 returns

A search for Dominator on the forum should yield 50+ pages.

Search kb2

Advanced search does not improve the number of search returns.
Anyone else????

Same here, Mac. Have been using search for a few common keywords and comes up with nothing. Are the archives still in tact or does the search function just not know how to index them? Kind of an important function of the site.

Hello Brian
I agree - search function is the "bread and butter" function of the site for learning.

Edit: Yes - Just now saw your reply about Google

Last edited:
I can never get the search function to work either .... google can do it but its a pain in the azz

Use the 'site' qualifier. If you enter (in your favourite search engine):

Dominator site:rotaryforum.com

that will limit the search of your browser to just the rotaryforum. The search term above turns up 2650 results. You can can refine the search by entering

"Dominator" site:rotaryforum.com

which forces the search engine to only return results in which the word Dominator actually appears. This one turns up 2640 results.

Some other possibilities are e.g.:

Dominator -engine site:rotaryforum.com -> results that contain Dominator but not engine, (1050 results)

"Dominator" AND "engine" site:rotaryforum.com -> enforce that both Dominator and engine appear (note upper case AND!). Turns up 1900 results.

There is of course also an OR operator:
"Dominator" OR "SportCopter" site:rotaryforum.com -> 3280 results

PS: yes, the forum search function is crap.

Last edited:
Use the 'site' qualifier. If you enter (in your favourite search engine):

Dominator site:rotaryforum.com

that will limit the search of your browser to just the rotaryforum. The search term above turns up 2650 results. You can can refine the search by entering

"Dominator" site:rotaryforum.com

which forces the search engine to only return results in which the word Dominator actually appears. This one turns up 2640 results.

Some other possibilities are e.g.:

Dominator -engine site:rotaryforum.com -> results that contain Dominator but not engine, (1050 results)

"Dominator" AND "engine" site:rotaryforum.com -> enforce that both Dominator and engine appear (note upper case AND!). Turns up 1900 results.

There is of course also an OR operator:
"Dominator" OR "SportCopter" site:rotaryforum.com -> 3280 results

PS: yes, the forum search function is crap.
Great tips! Didn't know about the site: filter.

I am getting "no results found" or limited returns when searching the forum.
Searched "Dominator" only 5 returns

A search for Dominator on the forum should yield 50+ pages.

Search kb2

Advanced search does not improve the number of search returns.
Anyone else????
I tried looking for my own posts both with search and in my profile page under "posts". I have one post?

When I use the the "latest activity" it shows any "likes" going back to late January 2021 but no posts at all.

I think when the "trump" thread got removed that something happened to the database indexing.

You could enter:
"skyguynca" site:rotaryforum.com

and use the custom date range functionality (under tools in Google).

If you use 12/01/20 to 02/27/21 that returns four pages of search results.

e.g.

Looking For A Good Set Of Bensen Metal Blades Or Any That ...

Thank you, I had to use google to find some references to some older posts I had made.

The forum however is not even showing some of the new posts I have made in the past couple of weeks.

It seems to be different for different people. I looked thru a few profiles and some have only "reactions" to posts show up under recent activities and others have a few posts, some have both but not everyone. Quite a few I looked at have only "reactions" and no posts.

When you look under posts, most may show a few, but none have all or even a bunch of their posts show up.

A few examples

Brian Jackson shows under recent activity posts and reactions back to Jan 13, 2021
However under postings only posts that show up go back to last Wednesday, he has a lot more posts than that

Jurgen under recent activity goes back to Feb 3 ,2021.
However under postings only posts that show up go back to last Tuesday, he has a lot more posts than that

Martin W. shows under recent activity posts and reactions back to last Wednesday
However under postings only posts that show up go back to last Tuesday, he has a lot more posts than that

Mac shows under recent activity posts and reactions back to Jan 1, 2021
However under postings only posts that show up go back to yesterday, he has a lot more posts than that

You could enter:
"skyguynca" site:rotaryforum.com

and use the custom date range functionality (under tools in Google).

If you use 12/01/20 to 02/27/21 that returns four pages of search results.

e.g.

Looking For A Good Set Of Bensen Metal Blades Or Any That ...

One of the things I have not been able to do under google is search for part of the title of the post and the poster username.

That is where the search function on here shines through for most users.

I know a lot of times I can not remember the whole title but it gives me the option in the advanced forum or thread search to put what I can remember in the title block, username in the poster block and even narrow down the date if I want to.

Using google is an alternative that we have to use until the search function is repaired. It will just take longer to sift through all the responses in google.

Quote: One of the things I have not been able to do under google is search for part of the title of the post and the poster username. /Quote
My trust in Google has taken quite a hit...;-(
I tried to find a post by Chris Burgess where I searched for part of the content. Now the profile says that Chris posted more than 700 messages but the search turned up less than a dozen and the one that I had seen in the forum was not even amongst those. I would have thought that even if the forum index is corrupt that shouldn't keep Google from finding stuff... seems I was wrong!

Who is the DBA manager on the forum. This database needs to be reindexed.
It should be a simple task with the software tools, or have the software vendor fix the problem.

Ideas?