IPad

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
How about ADS-B and on-screen charts, and approach plates, with GPS nav overlay on either chart, using YOUR IPad and a $99 blue tooth GPS that you just throw up on top of the panel? Monthly fee is like $5 or $10?

Last edited:

RotorTom

Aircraft
Enstrom 480B, CTLS, Ercoupe
Total Flight Time
5000+
BTW ... you don't need the separate GPS if you have the 3G model, cause those units have GPS radio built-in. The WiFi iPads do not have GPS built in.

I use the same remote GPS ... it is awesome.

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
I know nothing about the Ipad, so probably a dumb question to those who do know them. But anyway, does the Ipad use cell towers for this application or satellites?

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Bryan, Tom, been contemplating an Ipad for a while. Would like to know if there is a site/info out there where I can find out the pros and cons of buying in the UK versus US.

There can be quite a price difference, but I do need to know if there are country specific models, warranty issues, wireless issues, ties to specific phone providers.

Have loved my Iphone, and, discovered the ease with which one can consume available memory.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I am IPad illiterate. My pilot buddy just came over Sunday afternoon with this setup and was showing me all the features and practical ways to use it in the cockpit.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

I think Sporty's sells all this stuff so I'll bet they have online videos showing all the ins/outs of the system?

RotorTom

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
The iPad comes in two basic models: iPad 3G/Wifi and iPad WiFi only.

The iPad 3G/WiFi can use either cell signals (if you buy a data plan) or WiFi hot spots (wireless). The 3G/WiFi model also has a built-in GPS receiver. Some apps use GPS and cell signals and others use GPS alone. For example, if you want a weather overlay on a moving map, GPS would move the target along the downloaded chart or map, but the cell signal would be used to get weather. It is all automatic and seamless to the user.

The WiFi only model (which I use), does not have cell capability, so if you are not in a hot spot you can't use it online. It also does not have a built-in GPS. These units require an external GPS that you connect to the unit via bluetooth (like Bryan showed us in his post #1). With the external GPS, you can use nav programs with moving maps but you can't get the weather overlay. I use Beacon North America.

In either model you choose the amount of internal memory you want. They come in 16, 32 or 64 gigs. For aviation apps, you can get buy fine with 16-gigs.

The aviation apps come in all flavors ... some sell the program, others practically give the program away (99-cents). However if you want the latest charts, you need to buy a subscription. Many apps also provide a "base map" which is simply a map or satellite depiction without charts. You can switch the view from chart to map to satellite.

I do not buy the subscription. I simply use the base maps and the original chart I downloaded. I simply buy and download new charts about once a year.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Thanks guys for coming back on that. Been digging further.

Seems a lot of people seem to be going for the WiFi only version right now due to questions like mine. At the moment it appears the US/UK 3g/4g versions have either AT&T or Verizon for their cell versions in the US while over here in the UK Vodafone, Three, Orange or O2. In the US some issues with Verizon appear to be swinging people to favor AT&T.

Sounded to me rather like what happened with the earlier versions of the Iphones. According to what particular model you bought, you got linked to a particular cell phone service provider, before Apple then came out with the 'free version, where you could happily switch out phone chips and providers according to where you were in the world.

Seems the Wi-Fi + Cellular version sold internationally will be able to connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network when in the United States and using an AT&T 4G LTE SIM. In Canada Bell Talus and Rogers seem to be the carriers used, though they don't mention if Ipads bought elsewhere will be able to use all those networks or be limited to certain providers as in the US.

This led me to LTE or Long Term Evolution. Commonality?? Nope!!
Read on and weep. http://www.macworld.com/article/1165762/what_lte_means_for_apples_new_ipad.html

LTE lets you download more data faster, the new iPad display's images and video at a higher resolution, and can be switched on and off. The unanswered question, how fast you’ll use data and pay extra fees when you start using a 4G iPad, when the system does come online? Switching off 4G LTE seemed to produce issues previously mentioned if you were with Verizon

32Gb seems most poular choice of memory though having gone 16Gb on the phone and maxing it out quite quickly, may go for the 64GB. You cannot increase once you make the choice, and ICloud costs for storage over a certain ammount.

Like a lot of gadgets, there is flexibility, but the various features can cost a lot. One has to find out if you need/will use them, and will they work where you want them to, using all the super Aviation Aps that are out there.

All that aside, it does seem a pretty nifty Gizmo to have.

drtomcor

OK eh,

I've got this gyrobee with just motor and rotor tach. And the plastic airspeed thingee.

If I get an Ipad with aero software, is that all I need? The Ipad seems pretty cool on its own too, so I could talk myself into it.

Of course I'm not legal to fly yet, so I have time to think about it--don't retire yet Ron M.!

aerobatic

Aircraft
Murphy Renegade II, Auto-gyro Calidus
Total Flight Time
500 h
I've tried to use an iPad in my Calidus but concluded that it is unusable because the current models are too big to be put on front of the dash (I've choose an analog instrument panel). And when strapped to my leg, the iPad is unreadable because off the amount of light coming from above and the reflexion on the screen (even with a glare cover film).

For now I use an iPhone with Foreflight for navigation and flight planning, but the screen is definitively to small for anything than just keeping a global bearing. I had to put a hood above and around the iPhone to make it readable enough in sunlight. I use a RAM mount system to hold it in place in front of my analog instruments

If rumors are right, next month Apple will launch an 7 inch iPad mini. I will get one and post about the setup as soon as possible.

Maher

RotorTom

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
You can actually get a complete 6-pack of instruments on the iPad. The app displays readings like a "glass cockpit" and uses GPS for airspeed, altitude and position ... and uses internal sensors for compass, horizon and turn coordinator. Plus you can still use half of it to navigate via a GPS moving map.

It can be your main display, you simply need to add RPM gauge.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
How does the I Pad manage IAS?

How does the I Pad manage IAS?

You can actually get a complete 6-pack of instruments on the iPad. The app displays readings like a "glass cockpit" and uses GPS for airspeed, altitude and position ... and uses internal sensors for compass, horizon and turn coordinator. Plus you can still use half of it to navigate via a GPS moving map.

It can be your main display, you simply need to add RPM gauge.
Hello Tom,

I tried a Garmin 695 GPS driven “six pack” and in windy conditions I found that the speed it indicated was my ground speed rather than indicated air speed.

I prefer having a pitot static driven indicated air speed.

Does the I Pad manage this somehow?

Thank you, Vance

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Tom yours costs, but seems pretty comprehensive, and as you said that you do not buy the subscription. Simply use the base maps and the original chart downloaded. Then buy and download new charts about once a year,which would seem to be a pretty good compromise.

Just as a matter of interest what does it cost to do that? Just wondering what the saving is and for what trade off.

RotorTom

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
Vance,

That is an excellent observation. Unfortunately there are no apps I know of that give TAS. There are some "glass" displays that do it but they require pitot-static sensors. I guess one could use the iPAD along with mini RRPM and AS gauges for a complete panel.

Tom

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Wing-X by Hilton Software is another very nice app. It is 99.00 per year, for VFR. If you need current fuel prices and fly-to directions for cheapest gas (real time) that's 24.00/yr. If you do IFR approaches and want your moving plane shown accurately on the approach plate with speed appropriately adjusted for "not-to-scale" diagrams on Jepp or NOS plates, that's another 74.00/yr.

Real time WX Radar and ADS-B is provided on some high end GPS receivers that are in the $700 +/- range. If you don't need that a $99 GPS like the DUAL brand will do fine.

ALL THESE APPS ARE SATELLITE GPS BASED AND USE NO CELL PHONE SERVICE AT ALL!