iPad WiFi + Cellular Advice

JJ Campbell

I know that Foreflight and iPad Pilot both recommend using iPad Wi-Fi only + an external GPS like Bad Elf or Dual. However, it looks like I got a defective Bad Elf for lightning connector and their support is beneath bad. If they don't agree to send a new unit in the next day or so, I'll just get a refund from Amazon. This experience caused me to research Dual's tech support. OMG, according to what I read they are worse!

So, since my iPad has a few years on it (and no it is not the iPad, I tried the Bad Elf on my new iPhone and had the same problem), I'm thinking of getting a new iPad.

My question (lol finally). Does anyone have experience using Foreflight on an iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular and does it indeed have problems with lost satellite connections?

DavePA11

I never lost gps with my iPad mini with cell data. I purchased external gps unit, but found I never needed it. Flew over 800 hours with it too.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
My iPad + cellular runs Foreflight. No external GPS or receiver and never needed such. It is also an 'older' one at 4 years old.
Brian

EdL

Comm Rotor Gyro, ASEL
Aircraft
Magni M-16, Piper Warrior
Total Flight Time
FWIW have an older WiFi-only iPad II that I use FltPlan on (it’s free; I’m cheap) and it has also been very reliable.

But my primary tablet when flying fixed wing wing is a (now getting older) Samsung Galaxy 4 7” WiFi-only that I put on the yoke with the basic RAM mount. It’s Android and I run Avare (also free). It gets good GPS reception as well. The tab was about $150 and I think one can get an updated tab for about the same price.

Both FltPlan and Avare provide geo-referenced approach plates plus traffic and weather if you have ADS-B In, e.g. from a Stratux.

My impression is the GPS reception is dependent on the tab alone, not the software (ForeFlight).

Not aure if that helps.

/Ed

Hueychief

FNG
Aircraft
Sikorsky S-64/S-61, Harmon Rocket 3, Bell UH-1ST, FireFly 7-15 HotAir Balloon, Grob 103
Total Flight Time
7,000+
No Title

We use an iPad WiFi/Cellular running Foreflight exclusively in our day to day operations in the Skycrane. No issues and we travel and work all over the world. Presently in Chile, but here is a photo from last summer in Greece flying past Poseidon's temple.

Attachments

JJ Campbell

Thanks guys! Bad Elf is sending me a new unit. It is good to know that if this one doesn't work out, I can safely go the iPad + Cellular route.