IPad in a Calidus?

aerobatic

Aircraft
Murphy Renegade II, Auto-gyro Calidus
Total Flight Time
500 h
My brand new Calidus is waiting for me at my training school, already since a few months. I was so busy at work that I didn't bring it at my local airport, knowing perfectly that I will get the itch to fly it as soon as possible.

Now, I'm ready. I will bring the baby at the beginning of April, but still have an issue to solve. I've ordered a RAM mount bracket to put an iPad/iPhone on the dashboard. Auto-Gyro told me it will be totally useless because the full standard canopy (with no sunroof) will bring too much light to make it readable. I've search a bit and found that the reflection on the glass may be more an issue than the lack of backlit in the Apple device. I've ordered an iPad 3rd generation since it's suppose to have a more intense back lighting system, but I'm not really sure it will work.

So does anybody try to use an iPad/iPhone in a Calidus or in any open gyro and what can you suggest to improve the readability of the screen?

Thanks,

Maher

Maher, the backlighting issue might be resolved with tinting, shades or other techniques, but I cannot imagine where you'll mount something the size of an iPad in a Calidus without covering important parts of the panel. An iPhone, perhaps...

Hello Paul,

Sure, an iPad is a bit massive and will partly cover some instruments, but it will be fixed at the end of a 3 inch rod that can be moved away a bit when needed.

I know it's not an ideal solution, so I've also bought an iPad RAM mount that you can strap on a leg; may be it will be more convenient. And there is still rumors that Apple will launch a 7 inches iPad, later this year. I just don't know if this iPad that's supposed to be a low end device to go ahead against the Amazon KindleFire will have a GPS/telephony ability...

Anyway, I will try very soon all the combinations and will post pictures of the results if it could help someone else.

For now, I'm looking for an anti-glare film that could be apply on the iPad screen to diffuse reflexions.

Maher

Maher ther is an anti-scratch protective screen that can be bought for the Iphone that does that very function. I have to believe that it is available for the ipad.

I have an Aera 500 GPS. In my MTO sport it has a touch screen. I have flown all over the US and never have a problem except when I fly at night. The glare of the screen off the wind screen even turned to low makes it hard to see to land. I have flown the Calidus and also a Cessna with the Ipad. I could read the IFR approach plates from it just fine. That said I do not think I would use it as my primary nav aid. ITs just to big to have an easy scan except to use for maps and other aids. So if you are doing a good scan of vital equipment it might pose a problem in that small panel.

I have an Aera 500 GPS. In my MTO sport it has a touch screen. I have flown all over the US and never have a problem except when I fly at night. The glare of the screen off the wind screen even turned to low makes it hard to see to land. I have flown the Calidus and also a Cessna with the Ipad. I could read the IFR approach plates from it just fine. That said I do not think I would use it as my primary nav aid. ITs just to big to have an easy scan except to use for maps and other aids. So if you are doing a good scan of vital equipment it might pose a problem in that small panel.

You fly at night or at dusk in an MTO Sport?

Here in Canada, there is no lights option on the Calidus or on the MTO to meet the regulation for night flight...

Maher

Yes I have flow many night hrs in the MTO at least 3 in total darkness. Total night gyro over 30 hrs most in the last 6 months. I installed them and had the restriction lifted for training to meet the Commercial standard in the US.

Cool!

I've bought the strobe option from Auto-Gyro but didn't see anything about night flight lights. When I will meet my authorized mechanical guy for the 5 hours first maintenance, I will ask him if he can install them on my Calidus. If I remember correctly, I will also need some additional instrument panel.

Thanks,

Maher

Maher, I would not recommend using an iPad for anything vital such as navigation in a gyro. It is cumbersome, often difficult to read and obstructs other, more important, instruments. In my opinion, an iPad can be great for flight planning, though.

-- Chris.

Hi,

before you invest in the leg-mount, try if you really have enough room. I already find it difficult with a knee-pad interfering with the stick.

Kai.

Holy smokes!! You haven't flown it yet?? :eek:

One of my senior colleague at work (I'm a teacher in a tech school) get really sick in january and I had to replace him within a 2 weeks notice. The guy was our networking guru, with all advanced courses that I never teached, so I get quite busy until he recovered.

The day he came back at work, our students gets on strike; so I have plenty of free time now. I've just signed my lease of hangar space at my airport. David, our CFI, is gone delivering the MTO Sport to Serguei in Ontario. As soon as he's back, he'll bring me the Calidus.

So next weekend, may be, if the weather is good :)

Maher

Good flying then Maher, sounds as though you have earned it.

Hope you're back in the sky soon Maher! A few more weeks and I'll be back in Quebec too. Hope the weather stays nice!

Using the iPad

Using the iPad

I use Foreflight for my sectionals and Plates, I've found the iPad to be a reliable source of navigation information. My iPhone is my backup incase iPad fails, also running Foreflight. There is a GPS made by BadElf for improved accuracy and replacing the lack of a GPS in the wifi only model of the iPad. I have the 3G iPad with GPS built in, and I have never activated the 3G function. If the airlines are using the iPad for their charts I'd say that's good enough for me. Although in the Cherokee I also have my yoke mounted Garmin 496.

There is a company selling dash mountable brackets called padholdr. I have one in my truck.... They are big but functional.

I got my Calidus today. Didn't fly it because of a strong crosswind and some turbulence.

It came with a surprise : I bought the strobe option but was surprise to see the red and green lights that came with it. Look like Auto-Gyro GmbH have now an option for night flight...

I've tried flying in the Calidus of my instructor with the iPad and the knee-pad RAM-mount. With the iPad facing the sky, the backlit is not strong enough to make it readable even with a glare film applied to the screen. Neither of my canopies have a sunroof so I have to find another solution.

Maher

Attachments

• Calidus C-GMUI.jpg
    Calidus C-GMUI.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
I use the iPad in place of paper charts exclusively now. Foreflight is the app I use. I travel in the Calidus quite a bit. Atleast ten trips over 800nm now and another to start this weekend. Use the iPad like a chart - look at it and then put it down. In the Calidus there is no comfortable way to wear it or mount it. I usually put it on the side in front of the rear rudder pedals when I am not looking at it. I have a Garmin 396 for navigation, however, the iPad is right on with its internal GPS. The TFR function of Foreflight is a great tool to avoid VIP TFR's during the campaign trail.

While I have yet to see a Calidus up close and personal I have built one to order with the configurator on the Autogyro USA website. There is a panel option that they show there that has a big open space in the middle of the panel with the idea being that you could put some kind of generic EFIS display in it. Just from eyeballing it appears to me that an iPad just might fit.

If it were me I would not hesitate to flat mount one directly to the panel just like they do in the Sport Cub fixed wing panel http://www.cubcrafters.com/sportcubs2/options
I think you naysayers haven't seen the apps that turn iPad into a primary flight display. Check out the Hilton software app http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/
When that's combined with a little AHARS box you can have a split screen with an attitude indicator on one side of the screen and a moving map on the other side. Also you could get an ADS-B receiver and have the same weather info you get on a Garmin 496 for free.

My company bought iPads for all of us pilots and I use one in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 with few problems. I do agree though, you should have opted for the sunroof option. What you can try though is to have an auto detail guy come out and professionally add some tinting to the whole canopy. That and maybe a small shade for the edge of the screen that you could make with some poster board and tape to see if that helps.

Just from looking at what the iPad can do now and not even considering what future apps will be designed for it make it way too valuable to leave at home IMHO.

Last edited:
For the moment I use my iPhone with a self-made plastic black hood and it fit most of my need.

But if the rumors are true, and they seem to pile about a mini 7inch iPad, I will buy one for sure to replace the iPhone as soon as they are available.

Maher