Introducing Trendak TERCEL

Trendak&Son

Gyroplane Manufacturer
attachment.php

TERCEL, or old English Tiercel, is according to dictionary reference "the male of a hawk, especially of a gyrfalcon or peregrine".

There are so many Falcons and Hawks on the market, that we decided this traditional name TERCEL, used in falconry, should be appropriate for our new machine.

Gyrfalcon is not a gyroplane-falcon, as you might expect, but the name of the biggest bird of the falcon species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrfalcon

Our TERCEL is also the biggest bird of the the side by side gyroplane class, with the cabin width greater than Cessna 172, so it fits well the name.

Pregrine, the peregrinating, or travelling falcon is known for covering great distances with exceptional speed.

Our TERCEL is also a great traveller, fast and comfortable on long tours, so, again, it fits well the name.

On more technical note, the TERCEL is a result of many years of experience and recent development work and testing, featuring many innovative, new solutions.

Completely new composite gear with long travel, structural mast with vibration dampeners, push-pull cable rotor control guarantee smooth ride on take off and landing, and vibration free flight.

The standard equipment includes such new features like sliding seats, electric pitch and roll trim, 120 l fuel tank, variable pitch propeller and many more.

The full list of standard equipment can be found here:

http://www.trendak.eu/models/tercel/introduction?lang=eng

As mentioned before the TERCEL is undergoing the process of certification in cooperation with DULV, the German Ultralight Association. It is being tested for MTOW of 560kg, in accordance with German BUT and UK BCAR-T, which ever is stricter in a particular aspect. The Trendak Tercel already passed successfully all of the hang tests, drop tests and static stress tests.

The test are run under the supervision of Mr. Joerg Seewald, DULV Member of the Board, Technical Director, Rotorcraft.

The temporary technical date and performance figures can be found here:

http://www.trendak.eu/models/tercel/tech_data?lang=eng

The performance data published under the above link are rather conservative, based on theoretical calculations. We refrain from publishing exact performance data before the final tests are completed and results confirmed by independent experts.

The Trendak TERCEL is available in the US in kit form. The first machine has been registered last week.
For details send us a PM or contact ur US distributor, Mike Bantum:

http://www.trendak.eu/find_distributor/sellers/usa?lang=eng

At the moment we would like to present just several graphic design suggestions for the Tercel (enclosed). You will have to be little patient to see the actual photos.

Attachments

• Tercel fot 02.jpg
    Tercel fot 02.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Tercel fot 04.jpg
    Tercel fot 04.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Tercel fot 03.jpg
    Tercel fot 03.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1
  • peregrine tercel.jpg
    peregrine tercel.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Artur
The drawing are looking pretty sweet. Can wait to see some pictures of it. You and your team have come a long way in the design from the very beginning. I love the update.
Hope to see more news on it soon.
I love flying my Xenon (with heat) especially in the cold weather that we've been experiencing here lately. (Looking forward to Spring)
Good Luck.
Doug S.

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpg
    IMG_8477.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2
  • GOPR0206.jpg
    GOPR0206.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0335.jpg
    GOPR0335.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1
I love flying my Xenon (with heat) especially in the cold weather that we've been experiencing here lately. (Looking forward to Spring)
Good Luck.
Doug S.

Dough,

thank you for your kind comment.

of course, TERCEL is also fitted with cabin heat, but further developed, with warm air blowing also on your feet and front of the cabin.

It improves not only the comfort of flying, but also the visibility.

Here is a picture of a partially completed Tercel that Mr Brewer sent me.

Attachments

• brewer tercel.jpg
    brewer tercel.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3
I see it has a different tail compared to the Zen one. I saw photo of the Zen 2 prototype with this tail. Can you tell us the advantages and the reason for the change in the horizontal stabilizer on the new tail?

The specs that you link to are very nice, except completely foreign to the US market. I suggest that you print your specifications in inches, feet, pounds and nautical miles per hour, for the benefit of those of us in the US market.

Thank you

M

Last edited:
Dough,

thank you for your kind comment.

of course, TERCEL is also fitted with cabin heat, but further developed, with warm air blowing also on your feet and front of the cabin.

It improves not only the comfort of flying, but also the visibility.

Michael,

I have an original Xenon 1 and I enjoy the heated seats but have never flown my gyro at below freezing temperatures because in my previous gyro - a Sparrowhawk I had incidences of completely fogging the windshield that were a bit scary.

Have you flown the original Xenons in below freezing temps without fogging the windshield?

It seems the over the shoulder heat vents with no blowers don't do much.

Rob

Rob,

I often flew my original Xenon below freezing. I think the coldest was around 4 degrees. I never once experienced fogging. As all Xenon owners know the original heater didn't do a very good job but the heated seats helped make up for it.

I see it has a different tail compared to the Zen one. I saw photo of the Zen 2 prototype with this tail. Can you tell us the advantages and the reason for the change in the horizontal stabilizer on the new tail?

Mark,

yes, the tail has been modified flowing wind tunnel tests. Former "winglets" were not optimal, draggy and vulnerable to damage. Some people misused them as "handle" while moving the machine on the ground. New horizontal stabiliser is now also about 10in wider, but crates less drag. It further contributed to the staability of flight.

Also the the rudder hinges are now completely different, much more robust.

Attachments

• Trendak Tercel Tail 2.jpg
    Trendak Tercel Tail 2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Trendak Tercel Tail 1.jpg
    Trendak Tercel Tail 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 3
I was just wondering, when air traffic control requests me to "say type aircraft", I respond with X N O N which is the ICOA designator for a Celier Xenon. What is the type designation for a TRENDAK Tercel?

http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/Search.aspx

Description = Gyrocopter
Total Count: 70

Manufacturer -Model -Type Designator -Description -Engine Type -Engine Count WTC

ABS AEROLIGHT -Xenon - XNON -Gyrocopter -Piston 1 L -
AERO-ASTRA Okhotnik OKHO Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIR & SPACE 18 UM18 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIR & SPACE Twinstar TSTR Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIR COMMAND Commander 147 CMD1 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIR COMMAND Commander Elite Tandem CMDT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIR COMMAND Commander Elite Side-by-Side CMDE Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AIRCRAFT DESIGNS Sportster Gyro SPGY Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AMAX Double Eagle DEAG Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AMERICAN AUTOGYRO SparrowHawk SPHA Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AMERICAN AUTOGYRO Spinus SPHA Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AUTOGYRO Calidus CDUS Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AUTOGYRO MTOSport MT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AUTOGYRO Cavalon CLON Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
AUTOGYRO MT-03 MT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
BARNETT BRC-540 BR54 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
BARNETT J4B2 J4B2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
BUTTERFLY Super Sky Cycle SSC Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
BUTTERFLY Golden Butterfly GOBU Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
CALUMET 636 Snobird Adventurer SNAD Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
CALUMET Snobird Adventurer SNAD Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
CARTER PAV-4 PAV4 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
CELIER Xenon XNON Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
CHAYAIR Sycamore CHSY Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
EICH JE-2 Gyroplane JE2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
EICH Gyroplane JE2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ELA AVIACION ELA-07 ELA7 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
FAIRCHILD (1) Flymobil UM18 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
FAIRCHILD (1) F-18 Flymobil UM18 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
FARRINGTON Twinstar TSTR Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
FD-COMPOSITES AC-10 Arrow-Copter AC10 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
FD-COMPOSITES Arrow-Copter AC10 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
GROEN H2X Hawk 3 HAW3 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
GROEN Hawk 3 HAW3 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
GROEN Hawk 4 HW4P Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
GROEN Jet Hawk 4T HW4T Gyrocopter Turboprop 1 L -
GROEN Revcon 6G REV6 Gyrocopter Turboprop 1 L -
HOLLMANN HA-2 Sportster HA2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
HOLLMANN Sportster HA2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
IRKUT A-002 A002 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
LITTLE WING Roto-Pup RPUP Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
LITTLE WING LW-5 Roto-Pup RPUP Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
LITTLE WING LW-4 Roto-Pup RPUP Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAD MAX AERO Mad Max MMAX Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI M-22 Voyager MM22 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI Orion MM24 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI Voyager MM22 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI Tandem Trainer MM16 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L
MAGNI Scout MM14 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI M-21 MM21 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI M-19 Shark MM19 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI M-16 Tandem Trainer MM16 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L
MAGNI M-14 Scout MM14 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI M-24 Orion MM24 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
MAGNI Shark MM19 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
OSKBES-MAI MAI-205 A205 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
PHENIX Phenix PHIX Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
PITCAIRN-CIERVA PCA-2 PCA2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTARY AIR FORCE RAF-2000 RAF2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTORSPORT MT-03 MT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTORSPORT MTOSport MT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTORSPORT Calidus CDUS Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTORSPORT Cavalon CLON Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
ROTORTEC Cloud Dancer 2 CLD2 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
SNOBIRD 636 Snobird Adventurer SNAD Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
SNOBIRD Snobird Adventurer SNAD Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
SPORT COPTER SportCopter 2 SCII Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
UFO HeliThruster UFHT Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
UMBAUGH 18 UM18 Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -
USTINOV Adel ADEL Gyrocopter Piston 1 L -

I was just wondering, when air traffic control requests me to "say type aircraft"...What is the type designation for a TRENDAK Tercel?

Mark, Xenons operating in the US were factory-built, but an experimental Trendak Tercel built by an amateur in the US technically will not have a type other than "experimental gyroplane" (or gyrocopter as you prefer), since individual examples are not required to comply with a type certificate.

(In the US, Xenons don't have to remain compliant with a type certificate, either, but their ICAO identifier was issued in Europe.)

If the purpose of the inquiry is to get a quick idea of aircraft speeds and capabilities from a database, you might add, "similar to XNON."

Perhaps, when the paperwork is complete in Europe, the ICAO database will add identifiers for the Trendak machines.

Last edited:
Mark, Xenons operating in the US were factory-built, but an experimental Trendak Tercel built by an amateur in the US technically will not have a type other than "experimental gyroplane" (or gyrocopter as you prefer), since individual examples are not required to comply with a type certificate.

(In the US, Xenons don't have to remain compliant with a type certificate, either, but their ICAO identifier was issued in Europe.)

If the purpose of the inquiry is to get a quick idea of aircraft speeds and capabilities from a database, you might add, "similar to XNON."

Perhaps, when the paperwork is complete in Europe, the ICAO database will add identifiers for the Trendak machines.

Paul

While you are correct about the Experimental AB status for the US market, I assume the new TRENDAK Tercel will be sold in the UK, EU, OZ, and SA. All of them also use the ICOA type identifiers. I mostly wanted to put a bug in the ear of those at TRENDAK aviation to have someone fill out the paperwork. They seam to be making great strides to be known as their own company, and to differentiate their new model from the old Xenon models they built in the past.

But now you have outed me, and my subtle motives are exposed. :)

M

While you are correct about the Experimental AB status for the US market, I assume the new TRENDAK Tercel will be sold in the UK, EU, OZ, and SA. All of them also use the ICOA type identifiers.

Mark,

you are right, the certification processes of TRENDAK Tercel and TRENDAK Twistair are well under-way, we assume them to be completed this year.

The structural tests according to German BUT and UK BCAR-T are close to completion, we expect the German VVZ (Temporary Permit to Fly) to be issued by DULV before the AERO 2014 Fair. The VVZ will be used to register and officially test-fly the new machines in Germany. After successful flight test program (50h) the final Type Certificate (Musterzulassung) will be issued by DULV.

I mostly wanted to put a bug in the ear of those at TRENDAK aviation to have someone fill out the paperwork. They seam to be making great strides to be known as their own company...

Thank you Mark, you can be assured we got the message. But only after the Type Certificate is issued by DULV, we will be able to apply for a Type Designator by ICAO. You can be sure, we will fill out the paperwork not a single second later, than formally possible.

We are as eager as you can only imagine, to have our machines having Type Designator in the ICAO Register as soon as possible.

Regards

Some more technical details of the new Trendak TERCEL.

As mentioned above the mast, rotor, rotor head and controls of TERCEL are completely new development by the R&D department of Trendak & Son. The rotor head is machined using the CNC technology, it is much lighter and stronger, at the same time, than comparable designs.

attachment.php

Some more technical details of the new Trendak TERCEL.

As mentioned above the mast, rotor, rotor head and controls of TERCEL are completely new development by the R&D department of Trendak & Son. The rotor head is machined using the CNC technology, it is much lighter and stronger, at the same time, than comparable designs.

attachment.php

I like the design and I like what you done,the only thing that concerns me is the push pull cables that are being used, there's no redundancy on such a critical control... If one breaks during flight.....Game is over.
Most push pull cables what I have read on them, there not to be used for critical primary controls.
Can you address this..... Maybe this is some type of special push pull cable that I'm not aware of.
Thank you
Doug S.

I like the design and I like what you done,the only thing that concerns me is the push pull cables that are being used, there's no redundancy on such a critical control... If one breaks during flight.....Game is over.
The same is valid for a control rod. There is no redundancy on them as well. If only one fails, you lose both, pitch and roll authority. In case of our design, there are separate pitch and roll cables, if you lose one, you lose just pitch or roll, not both.

Most push pull cables what I have read on them, there not to be used for critical primary controls.
Can you address this..... Maybe this is some type of special push pull cable that I'm not aware of.
Thank you
Doug S.

Doug,

this is the modern solution, bringing several advantages:

1. Much better aerodynamically, the cables can be covered with aerodynamic cowling, much less drag than the rods.

2. The cables take much less space inside the cabin.

3. The construction is much simpler, less joints, bolts and other points of failure.

This solution has been adapted in closed cabin modern European designs by the biggest gyroplane manufacturer and is well proven since many years.
Such machines recently delivered to US are all using cable control.

We are also using well proven cables applied elsewhere in critical applications.

Attachments

• Tercel mast cowling.jpg
    Tercel mast cowling.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The new mast and mast fitting

The new mast and mast fitting

The TERCEL has completely new, innovative mast construction and fitting.

It is a steel construction, carefully designed using computer modelling to achieve the best relation between the weight and the strength of the shape.

It is fitted to the back wall and the central box of the monocoque cabin with special fittings. The bottom joint it is fitted with elastic element to absorb vibrations.

Attachments

• Tercel bottom mast fitting.jpg
    Tercel bottom mast fitting.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Tercel mast.jpg
    Tercel mast.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Tercel mast stress distribution.jpg
    Tercel mast stress distribution.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Tercel top mast fitting.jpg
    Tercel top mast fitting.jpg