interest is fading.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As easily as gyros come and go for you selling your current one probably isn't too big a deal. When you start getting out run bad by young girls I guess the dirtbike will be less appealing and gyros might once again be interesting. The forum got too cliquish if you don't conform so although I still read some threads I post little. I wonder if you are just bored with the forum and it affects your whole attitide toward gyro's. Works for me.

Hey Ron

I have been so busy with the new trans shop that it has also kept me from the gyro community for at least the last year or so. If i don't do something soon I am also afraid that work will try and take over my true love of flying, now with that said I have made a decision to get back on the gyro (Parsons 2) RIGHT AFTER X-MASS HOLIDAYS, and try to have it ready for testing by mid spring or early summer.
Things can and sometimes will keep us from having fun, but If we stop and recognize it then we can fix it... Thats what I am doing right now.
so Do what you want, but it might be best to push it to the back of the hanger and just look at it sometimes, get all the dirt bike time in that you can for now and when you feel like flying you still have the gyro waiting on you.

I have walked all around the gyro at work,had lots of people lurking at it,man at the questions i have answered over the last few mounths... I could have sold it lots of times but I didn't. and that I am thankful for !! Now I can still get it finished and fly it one day soon. I love the gyro,it gives me so much peace at heart when I am up there flying around, nothing can replace it.:peace:

Ron

I think what you feel is normal. Our senses are designed to dull a little with repeated exposure. Maybe its a loss of the adrenaline when we no longer trigger a fear response.

Though I have never met you I would miss your input here should you cease to come around. So I hope you don't leave entirely.

Pilots and gyro pilots in particular have a need to live with a particular fullness. Thoreau wasn't talking about gyronauts when he said "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation" (As a side note they may be desperate but definitely not quiet)

Have ya offered a ride to some of the dirtbike guys?

Thought about having a passenger video tape the race from above while the leaves are off the trees?

You are right about the CFI time issue. I got the bulk of my private pilot training on Sundays. Getting training just one day a week is not efficient and many people might give up.

That is why I am so VERY happy to be teaming up with another CFI who can train during the week. Between the two of us I think we can make a good program.

If you become a CFI/SP-CFI you can still do a great deal for the sport other than primary training. You can do SP check rides (proficiency checks), regular "flight reviews" and event work.

Also, you could specialize in CAT/Class add-ons. People that already have FW certs can be taught to safely fly and qualify for a CAT/CLASS add-on in a low number of hours when flying a stable gyro.

There is PLENTY of work for a Gyro CFI/SP-CFI outside of primary training.

I have taken several dirtbikers for flights, they all seem to love it. Gyros come up in our conversations often. Just yesterday while riding, at a break one of the guys asks about the gyro and it turned into a 20 minute lesson on how a gyro flys, etc... they all seemed interested in it.

I haven't flown over any races. Quite honestly, most have no where safe to land in a engine out, plus I'd be wanting to race myself. There was one race a few months ago at a smaller private grass strip. The trails we raced were in the woods alongside the airport. I thought they would close the strip to aircraft during the race but they didn't. Next year I will be there with my gyro for sure.

As for me still becoming a CFI, I would like to do it for the reasons you mentioned. But I need to know that I can get a loda, and more importantly I need to know the drama I get from certain CFI's is a thing of the past.

I have taken several dirtbikers for flights, they all seem to love it. Gyros come up in our conversations often. Just yesterday while riding, at a break one of the guys asks about the gyro and it turned into a 20 minute lesson on how a gyro flys, etc... they all seemed interested in it.

I haven't flown over any races. Quite honestly, most have no where safe to land in a engine out, plus I'd be wanting to race myself. There was one race a few months ago at a smaller private grass strip. The trails we raced were in the woods alongside the airport. I thought they would close the strip to aircraft during the race but they didn't. Next year I will be there with my gyro for sure.

As for me still becoming a CFI, I would like to do it for the reasons you mentioned. But I need to know that I can get a loda, and more importantly I need to know the drama I get from certain CFI's is a thing of the past.

I wish you were in range, I would fly out to that strip!

Hopefully, LODAs will open up soon.

As far as the drama, most everyone can see through the egos and motivations and realize they don't hold themselves and each other to the same standards they try to hassle you with.

Let me know if you ever bike within 150mi of Cincinnati!

Connie and I still intend on attending a harescrable but life has been too complicated lately.

In Out, In Out, In Out, ect

In Out, In Out, In Out, ect

Ron,
I have been in gyros since 1984,,,,,have went hibernating for 5 years one time,,,the av gas that was still in the seat tank still was fresh even after 5 years, I flew my gyro as if the fuel was just put in fresh!
Bottom line I still love the gyro sport, I have built about 5 gyros, including a parsons two seater,,,and even something that resembled a Ken Wallis kind,,,,,Bottom line again,,,,I love the gyro sport ,,, flying my gyro,,,and will continue to be in the gyro sport irregardless of the PRA, Local chapters or anything else,,,,I have a grass strip behind my home, and fly off it,,,trailer to airports and to fly in conventions,,,,but will always be active to some extent in the gyro happening,,,,,,it's comparable to nothing else and trust me,,,,I have been involved in lots of stuff.

Everytime I fly it I love it. I am never bored flying the gyro. I am just loosing interest in having gyro flying and being active in the gyro community as a primary hobby.
Im supprised you blokes clock up the hours you do.
If my gyro didnt hava productive function, i woulda gotn bored after ten hours. :(
Wen we used horses for workn moos ere, i reconed they were the best.
Now, as far as im concerned, a good one isa dead one.

Do you a deal Ron, you ship your single over ere and try your hand at mustern, garanteed to spark new interest. ;)
Ill even throw in free bord n keep. :)

Birdy..... me going to OZ someday in the future, for vacation is on my bucket list. I will glady give mustering a try while there.

Say What !!

Say What !!

U Quit Gyro's Ron ?? Neva Happen !!

least I doubt it..

Your almost there,, U have the Machine and the know what and How TO.
Now all Ya gotta do is get your CFI, Somebody's gotta releave us Old Fools when it's time.

Least thats how I look at it..

A hobby has to offer a continuous stream of positive novelty to keep your interest. Collecting things works nicely -- you are always hunting for the rare (fill in blank: stamp, coin, antique car...).

Flying OTOH is a series of experiences. Acquiring "stuff"' is, for most pilots, secondary. Instead, your continuous quest for novelty in aviation is a quest for new, rare EXPERIENCES.

Weather, different airports, flyins, new maneuvers, different equipment and so on do supply some novelty. I found instruction to be a huge new dimension. As an added bonus, sharing something you love with others gives you a wonderful "teacher's buzz."

There's such a thing as negative novelty. The fatal crashes of a couple close friends (in ultralights, not gyros) have, probably permanently, drained some of the childlike joy out of my flying. Each flight now is bittersweet. I don't know if you feel that way, Ron.

I joined PRA at age 14 and started building a Bensen at that time. Gyroing is so hard-wired into my brain that I'm not likely to cut all ties to it.

My most recent gyro flight -- weeks ago, in a former student's Butterfly -- sure was a kick.

My "prediction".....

My "prediction".....

Steve,

Your 110 % correct. Ron will never give up gyros unless he finds no audience for it. Given the number of posts on this subject, I doubt that will happen anytime soon..... :usa2:

There there Ron, everybody still loves you.... :violin:

If you are truly getting bored, try something you might enjoy

http://www.edref.com/college-degree...al-arts/drama-and-theater-arts/north-carolina

J

U Quit Gyro's Ron ?? Neva Happen !!

least I doubt it..

Your almost there,, U have the Machine and the know what and How TO.
Now all Ya gotta do is get your CFI, Somebody's gotta releave us Old Fools when it's time.

Least thats how I look at it..

thinks Ron needs to try Helicopters,I know where he can trade his Gyro for a rare single seat helicopter... :)

Steve,

Your 110 % correct. Ron will never give up gyros unless he finds no audience for it. Given the number of posts on this subject, I doubt that will happen anytime soon..... :usa2:

There there Ron, everybody still loves you.... :violin:

J
John why do you have to be so negative, anyone paying attention knows he didn't make it to Mentone and he hasn't been on the forum 10% as much as usual. The rest of us would like to encourage him to say.

Right on schedule ?

Right on schedule ?

John,

I say this not to be mean but to figure out what is what. Yes, I might be busting chops here to some extent but not in a mean spirited way. At times I can have a bad memory but some things do stick, and I seem to remember Ron having a "gyro oriented" mid life / flight crisis like every year and its getting old.......... As soon as he mentions something like going cold or luke warm on gyros 3/5ths of the forum come to his rescue.

Then Ron solves all his problems by BUILDING SOMETHING, or having a baby or both.... Thus sucking us all in for another (great) and entertaining hundreds of threads. Its all good but I am surprised I am the only one to notice it. Well maybe I am not the only one to notice it but I am the only one to post about it.

Now before all of you go and jump my a$$, I have a question???

Where were you when Ron needed you guys the most ? ,

not some hand job key stroking party here, I mean How have you supported Charlotte GYRO flight ?

What did you do to get Ron out of his [lack of flight] induced depression.

Animal, mentioned it before, I attended and Ron was DEEEEEP Pressed about engine / prsu problems with his gyro while he waited for very custom parts to be mfg's. He watched everyone else fly but could only fly his Titan....

Alas he got his parts, but I think Ron is tired of getting his hands dirty on custom stuff. Much like Maxie did way back when he purchased a "turn key" A/C tandem which was anything but turn key. When too much stuff needs attention all the time, it becomes a chore to have fun, and you just say f it.

I know his feelings well and I know how much hard work can take the fun out of it. You sit there and say "its too much :effort , work, money, time off, clean up, travel ....to go have fun. I hit that wall with Scuba diving & fishing years ago. But I still get wet when I can. Anyway that's my rant, and I hope Ron feels better about gyros soon. I can't take a long thread about nothing anymore.

J

John, there is a very old saying.

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

God gave us free choice and a planet that could be heaven on earth. Unfortunately most individually choose not to make it that way, so we only have this; what we have made for ourselves.

I choose to try everyday, I wish you would join in on the fun.

Building people up with there actual accomplishment can be a whole lot more rewarding than tearing people down.

I don't suppose you would wish to join my 'Heaven ON Earth Society'?
Arnie ask to join so I guess there are two of us now. Sad after 40+ years of trying...

Last edited:
when you are around negative people it just brings you down takes the fun out even in jest it still is negative. I am positive that negative will bring you down. Ron get up in your gyro enjoy it when you feel like it. Come to the flyins and let your friends be positive influence on you and walk away from any negitivity and dont look back. I am positive that I look forward to seeing you. take care till then

For me Ron is a major part of the party, not only his flying and his willingness to share the experience by giving rides.

Who is going to craw on his belly to sneak up behind me when I'm splashing the water trying to catch a gator and then throw a rock from behind the bushes right in front of me making me jump back many, many, feet in the air not to be eaten.

And who is going to tape up the gator and take him around camp sticking his head in every camper scarring the heck out of everyone.

And who is... well who is going to think of things like that and way more....

I mean I can only jump so many rentals cars, we need him.

Brian- Good point about negative people. I surround myself with positive people and can't stand being around negative types. Their negative aura just sucks the energy out of me. I am proud to be a positive type, and try to do my part to make my corner of the world a little brighter. Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.