Status
Not open for further replies.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
This Feb will be my 10 year anniversity of owning gyros. Bensen Days 2011 will be my 10 years of flying gyros.

In that time frame I have owned 8 gyros.....

Built 1, rebuilt 2.......

Earned my sport pilot certificate for gyros........

Flown well over 1000 hours ( alot of my first few years of gyro flights weren't logged ).........

Test flown countless other peoples gyros....

Flown several famous gyros including Ron Herrons radial powered little wing....

Have literally wore out three office chairs from the time on the computer on the gyro forums. Way too many hours to even consider thinking about on the net.....

Been through 2 motorhomes, one travel trailer, one truck camper, and several tent set ups for camping at gyro fly ins.....

Made it to 9 Bensen days in a row, 9 Rotors over Carolina, 8 Sunstate new years fly-ins, 4 or 5 Mentones.....

Have made a ton of friends, and at the same time lost sleep over some of the frienemys ( you know who you are! ) .........

Served ( half assed to be fair ) my local PRA chapter as Vice and then President for several years. Even ran for the PRA board and lost by 3 votes........

Anyway, been in this for a long time. Still have a blast everytime I pull the gyro out to fly it. But lately to be honest, I have lost the " gyro bug " that seemed to be stronger than anything else in life. I have flown my gyro maybe 3-4 times since Bensen Days. I haven't flown it in about a months time as of today and with the cold weather I don't even have the desire to fly it. I went to ROC in Wrens this year and had fun but kept asking myself on the way home why I went to so much trouble trailering the gyro down there, shoulda just flown the airplane down for a day..... I don't have plans right now to go to Wauchula for new years.

To be honest, been thinking real hard about selling my gyro.

I still log onto the forum every day, out of habit I guess, but I only open perhaps 1/5th of the active new threads / new posts.

I know a big factor is I have shifted my interests from flying to dirt biking. I don't suspect I will dirtbike forever though, it is putting a whoopin on me... separated shoulder, pain in left knee, and currently nursing a sprained wrist.

Anyway enough of my woes... Just at a point where I am unsure of my future in this community. Been thinking of selling my gyro since last winter, and every flight makes me say hell no, but I haven't been flying much lately, maybe thats my problem... ?

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I haven't been flying much lately, maybe thats my problem... ?
That would be it!

Natural cycles.

I can loan you my heated vest, just say the word!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ron- We are all driven by passion. If you would have told me anytime from 1979 till 2001 that I would give up competition muzzleloading, I would have said you were nuts. But my son became ill, almost died, and I gave up two years of my passion for muzzleloading, to find myself disconnected, and I happened to show up at Mentone 2002. This rekindled my gyro flying days which started in 1985 and ended two years later when I simply mothballed my Bensen from having so many forced landings. My passion that was rekindled at Mentone 2002 also made possible my original dream of flying helicopters come true.

I have never been so passionate as I have been since I started flying my Helicycle...and especially after my flameout. Who knows where my passio will take me. I might end up just wanting to sit in a boat and fish someday.

Its hard to have another competing passion, and I can see how your motorcycling is another world. You have the gift of having many years of exploring other passions...... Hey, if the catalyst isnt burning....then one needs to rekindle it somewhere. My hats off to you Ron for giving whatever you get into 100%. Thats the most important.

Stan

automan1223

Banned
Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
Inspiration & Consternation

Inspiration & Consternation

Ron,

On the dirt track you are still flying, minus wings but you are still getting air time so you might be able to log it, sans gyro.

I agree (this one point) with Tim, "natural cycles". Ebb and flow of life, life's interests. Etc. I have had peaks and lows regarding aviation I can trace back to age 9. Doug Riley told me a story about aviation peaks and lows which I agree with. I will let him tell it if he decides to chime in here.

Truth be known I have not flown much this year, with so much going on in my situation either I have been working so hard on so many things. But I flew the other day and it was good, but very cold !

Ron, You could call me up and ask me anything and I would give you an honest answer. Which unfortunately has become a problem in the past. I have watched you for about these 10 years and at one time considered you a very good friend, but that has changed like the seasons...I would not go so far as consider myself a "frenenemie", I think that is going too far and a you are being a bit over dramatic. What I will admit is that I have enjoyed watching your projects, with inspiration and consternation.

Frankly with your diet of Mc'ds and cigarettes I do not know where you get the energy to do all this stuff. It is possible father time is catching up with you, your not 21 anymore., work, family, kids, wife, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, boats, planes, autos, RV's, internet and gyros. There is only so much you can do, so much time for things, Opps, almost forgot, Jet skis and model aircraft....! Whats the next big thing that will get you pumped ? Thats the question we all ask ourselves eventually. Sometimes we get an answer...

Now on a woo woo level, (could not leave this post without it) there has been a lot of negative energy coming at us this year from the economy, world events, elections, etc. I would submit that it has had a quenching effect on things that get us pumped and things we enjoy.

You have done more than most people do in a life time, so enjoy what you do no matter what it is.

Jonathan

skier

Aircraft
PA28, C-172, C-150, etc.
Total Flight Time
But lately to be honest, I have lost the " gyro bug " that seemed to be stronger than anything else in life. I have flown my gyro maybe 3-4 times since Bensen Days. I haven't flown it in about a months time as of today and with the cold weather I don't even have the desire to fly it.
I only fly fixed wing at the moment, but I find the same thing happens. The less I fly, the less I need to fly to be happy. Right now it's been almost 3 months since I was last flying. Something in the back of my mind says you should go, but then I think about the hassle of driving 45 minutes to the airport, preflighting,... and somehow it just doesn't seem worth it. Then I end up flying once and just can't get it out of my head for another month.

Gyrodon1

Aircraft
Gyro N132DH
Total Flight Time
1/2 life
Don't do it I've been there believe me so glad I did not sell. I am in kernersville n.c. and getting cold but if you have no cash flow that would be the only thing that would justify selling. DON'T DO IT!!!!
Don

John Stahl

Aircraft
none
Total Flight Time
Ron
Having ebb and flows in the things that interest you is common. Too many people during an ebb get out of a love totally only to regret it later.
This too will pass.
I too have turned my time and interest to my sail boat but I know after I get her on the water that interest will wane. And gyros will be there.

Dmorris

Aircraft
I currently own a 2015 CarbonCub. I have owned a 2013 Carbon Cub, 2 RAF 2000's, Xenon, A36 & several
Total Flight Time
Several thousand and adding every week!
I've gotten completely out of gyro's twice in approx. 16 years. Both times I was done and had no intention of ever getting back in. My first gyro was a beautiful RAF. Sold it and was OK with my decission for about six months.

Fast forward a few years and rinse, lather and repeat. Another beuatiful RAF built and SOLD. This time I told myself I was out for good. That was until I saw a Xenon at Oshkosh. If history repeats itself I will again get out again sooner rather than later only to jump back in deeper than ever.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
If history repeats itself I will again get out again sooner rather than later only to jump back in deeper than ever.
I call 'dibs' on your Xenon!

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Ron, reallydon't want to see you make any drastic decisions. You have made an impact on our community that not many others are able to do. Your flying is an inspiration to many and your contributions are very much appreciated. Maybe as time passes your feelings of lost interest will fade and the bug will revisit, it would be a shame if you didn't have a machine to jump into when this happens. And don't forget how the market is, you will not be able to get anything anywhere what it is truly worth, not a good time to sell. Sit on it a while, I'm sure time will change everything.

gilgsn

Total Flight Time
Regrets..

Regrets..

One good advise.. Put it away if you lost some interest, but don't sell it. The flying bug is like malaria, you'll get it again later.. Like other passions, you need to put it down for a while. I so much regret selling my one seater ultralight, my cave diving equipment, camera F3 and lenses, a number of guns..! I would gladly buy them all back! Every time I have abandoned an activity I really enjoyed, I have gotten back to it a few years later..

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I know the feeling, but just take a break and do something else for a while.
I haven't built any custom motorcycles in years, but I still kept 2, yes I even get out and enjoy them on occasion.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Ron..

Ron..

There was NEVER a time in my life when I wasn't totally "ate up" with guns, now I have turned it into my livelihood, I find on my days off I really don't feel like going shooting! I fly my Gyro to de-stress from retail sales. But even that has gotten to the point where I find myself looking for a new challenge, just something different to do while IN my gyro. I've been talking lately to the local S.A.R guys from he Sheriffs dept to see if they might like some assistance looking for lost snowbirds in the desert. Me and Dave B also have been using Goole earth to search out weird things in the desert and then plan a flight to go check them out. Just something different to keep your interest up. How about "Geo-caching" with your gyro? Or a REALLY long distance flight where you have to track all the gas stations along the way?
I will always be a shooter and there isn't a more knowledgeable gun shop owner anywhere around these parts, but that doesn't mean I have to go out everyday and shoot 300 rounds before dinner each night...does it?
I wouldn't sell if I was you. Just find a new angle to use it.
Ben S

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
Ron, maybe it's a "done this, got the cap and the T-shirt" thing. So do something different, up the ante a bit, and get a helicopter. Now that will spice up the flying again !!!!

As Stan, the man is living proof of it.....

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Don't give up on us.

Don't give up on us.

Ron,

I will support any decison you decide to make, but for the record I sure hope you don't decide to get out of flying Gyroplanes. By all accounts you are an extraordinary and natural Gyro pilot and our sport really needs more people like you in it.

Like Ben suggested, perhaps you can find a new twist that will increase your interest and make it more exciting for you. I would love to see you run again for the PRA Board as I think you would be a great asset to the organization. I also think you need to get more involved in your local PRA chapter. If you would really get involved to the point that you cared about helping others find the joy that you have found flying your Gyro, it will be amazing how much that will help you stay excited about it and appreciate what it has to offer you. Granted there is a time and place for a fixed wing airplane, but for the pure joy of flying, there is nothing like the magic carpet ride available in a Gyro. Tlaking about that experience with new people helps you remember how you feel when you fly and will do a lot to keep your attitude where it needs to be.

I have really missed your constant posts on the forum too. I know you felt like you got a lot of crap from some people and with your outspoken personality that isn't likely to just go away, as you seem to be a catalyst in many threads. But you have a lot of knowledge and experience that I sure would hate to see go away from our group. We really do need you and others like you if we are going to grow this sport into a respected branch of recreational avaiation. You have a great machine that really needs to be out there showing people what can be. I hope you will decide to give us another chance.

Lspav8r

Senior Member only in age
Aircraft
Nothing at this time, but I think the daughter and I are gonna get us a 2 place helicopter.
Total Flight Time
600+
Ron

I know the feeling. I owned a Hobby Shop for 13 years and flew everything I could get in the air, and now I only own two RC choppers and I dont even fly them any more.

I sold the Gyro and never even sat in the seat with the engine running. Lost all interest in gyros that I had. I am going back to fixed wing flying since I havce been doing that for over some 23 or 24 years.

Lookin for an 2 place ultralight or LSA machine and since I just turned 62 I think thats gonna be it for me as far as flying goes for the rest of my days.

Jim

Rehan K.Janjua

Gold Member
Aircraft
AirCommand 582
Total Flight Time
1200hrs
Ron dont do it.

Just fly when you want to. No need to force your self.
I appreciate your outright straight forward honest creditable
opinion and your vast endeavor with gyros is an asset.

The whole gyro concept has been influenced by your advice.

There are many who consider you there idle for gyro flying.
You may decide what ever you want.

But dont sadden many who love to see you by our side.

Wish you the Best.
Rehan

Status
Not open for further replies.