Thank you very much for the info. I'll probably need to replace my complete instrument panel, as I had the old analog instruments with the original 912 ULS. So I'm still not sure which way I'll go. Meanwhile the Aviomania Sport that I have is getting the 912 ULS as a swap and it already has the MGL display set up. But the idea of less wires and simplicity is much more appealing. I'll talk to Fara and get some more info on what he is using for his new model AR1 with the 915is. Thank you very much for all the details and the pictures. They are a great help.

Nice looking layout.

Inquiring mind - can you list the make/model for those instruments? That would have been a nice setup for the Sportcopter...

Thanks for posting. Never heard of Kanarsia before. They make some really nice avionics. Wish I knew about them for my SC panel.

In addition to fuel gauge I still use a timer when I go on a long trip. I have 50 gallons in my current plane and like to use the timer to assure I have that minimum to make it to end destination. I only have the tube fuel indicators with one for each tank.

Good to have multiple ways to verify fuel level, but land if you get feedback that fuels are lower levels. My uncle was flying cross country from PA and Florida, and on one of the last legs of his trip the indicate fuel level was going way low. Based on the timer he had lots of fuel, but his gauge was showing near empty.

Needless to say, the engine went quiet and had to make emergency landing on a road. He landed fine, but taxied into ditch on side of road. Just stay on the road since traffic can stop.

So what happened is one of his fuel tanks sprung a leak and his gauges were correct in this case…

Panel is great! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to do the same when I get my M24 someday…

Dave

In addition to fuel gauge I still use a timer when I go on a long trip. I have 50 gallons in my current plane and like to use the timer to assure I have that minimum to make it to end destination. I only have the tube fuel indicators with one for each tank.

Good to have multiple ways to verify fuel level, but land if you get feedback that fuels are lower levels. My uncle was flying cross country from PA and Florida, and on one of the last legs of his trip the indicate fuel level was going way low. Based on the timer he had lots of fuel, but his gauge was showing near empty.

Needless to say, the engine went quiet and had to make emergency landing on a road. He landed fine, but taxied into ditch on side of road. Just stay on the road since traffic can stop.

So what happened is one of his fuel tanks sprung a leak and his gauges were correct in this case…

Panel is great! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to do the same when I get my M24 someday…

Dave

I guess this is a personal thing. I am absolutely against more and more gauges in a VFR aircraft. It simply creates over-reliance on gauges and gets away from the philosophy of simplicity. You fly a Cub. How many gauges did you have in there?
I am not saying not have a fuel level gauge. But having multiple fuel level gauges is a bit much because unless they are hooked to multiple fuel level senders positioned very close to each other, they aren't really redundant at all. A single fuel level gauge and most importantly, your watch are already redundant ways of gauging fuel. Usually fuel level gauges in aircraft are made to be only accurate in level flight.

Last edited:
I guess this is a personal thing. I am absolutely against more and more gauges in a VFR aircraft. It simply creates over-reliance on gauges and gets away from the philosophy of simplicity. You fly a Cub. How many gauges did you have in there?
I am not saying not have a fuel level gauge. But having multiple fuel level gauges is a bit much because unless they are hooked to multiple fuel level senders, they aren't really redundant at all. A fuel level gauge and your watch are already redundant ways of gauging fuel. Usually fuel level gauges in aircraft are made to be only accurate in level flight.
For what I fly now, just the fuel tubes. I don't have any gauges. Fuel tubes are pretty simple concept since they are visual, but of course jump around a bit in flight so have to be level to see the amount in tanks. My SC M912 only had fuel tube too.

For what I fly now, just the fuel tubes. I don't have any gauges. Fuel tubes are pretty simple concept since they are visual, but of course jump around a bit in flight so have to be level to see the amount in tanks. My SC M912 only had fuel tube too.

That's the best fuel level gauge there is. Fuel jumps around all the time in flight anyways. There are a lot of big pot holes in the air

I thought I was clear: "two independently working Fuel Level indicator systems". "Independently" means they are not hooked to the same or similar senders at all. In my systems they even use different physical principles to measure fuel level.

Ok so you put two fuel level senders perhaps a resistive and a second capacitance type by modifying your fuel tank from Magni

Second - differential pressure sensor measuring pressure difference between bottom of a tank (through drain valve) and the top of the tank trough vent line. No modification to the tank needed and the systen completely independent from originally installed by Magni floating resistivity sensor
Ok. Never seen that used in any experimental or GA aircraft

Ya, that unexpectedly fast-lowering fuel-gauge reading would have made me want to land (at an airport!) way before the engine quit.

I was once doing a scuba drift dive where the pressure in my tank was showing way lower than what I would expect for how much time I had been down. So I motioned to my buddy that we had to go up... he wasn't too happy. But sure enough, I had a small leak in one of the hoses.

Hi IM,

Who makes this fuel level display identified with red arrow? Also, it appears the unit on top of the panel is another airspeed indicator? Why the two? I originally assumed it was a compass before looking at it. Thanks!

1651425518068.png

Last edited:
That's a German-made Winter brand ASI. I use them in my gliders.