Instrument panel of my M-24

Xavier, True Minimalist does not need clock, vertical speed indicator and compass. Not to mention GPS reciever. ;)

XXavier

Aircraft
FW Savannah XL + ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
1394 FW + 526 gyro (Oct. 2019)
Xavier, True Minimalist does not need clock, vertical speed indicator and compass. Not to mention GPS reciever. ;)
Yes, that's because I'm not a hardliner, but belong to the moderate fraction of the Minimalist Front...

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
91.205(b)(3) requires a "magnetic direction indicator" for standard category airworthiness certificate aircraft in VFR flight. Presumably, your operating limitations, and other such docs from the DAR would control for an experimental. I suspect that somewhere buried in the FAA manuals there is guidance for the DARs on that issue for what they can approve for a gyro, much like requiring a rating to act as PIC.

The only things I've ever flown without a compass were all balloons. Holding a course other than downwind is a pretty big challenge in a balloon so it's often not considered worth the effort to carry a compass (although you can pick an altitude where the winds may be different, and sometimes even reverse direction by going higher or lower). Pilotage over short distances at low speeds (say, 5-7 knots) is not difficult from just eyeballs and chart.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I had an uncle who was an Extremist Fundamentalist Minimalist. Mom never let us hang out with him.
So your band BumpTheSpamHoundsOff never played for the Extremist Fundamentalist Minimalist church services?

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
9. Aircraft instruments and equipment installed and used under FAR 91.205 must be inspected and maintained in accordance with the requirements of FAR 91. Any maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records.
The item to note is that the FAR's do not apply to an experimental as they are type certificated. To allow an experimental aircraft to operate the work around is the operating limitations which is issued to each aircraft when it receives its airworthiness certificate.

Item nine of the operating limitations specifies that instruments that are installed must comply with FAR 91.205, but it does not require instruments.

It would seem that an experimental could be flown with no kind of instrumentation much like an ultralight, but as the aircraft becomes more complicated or faster this would seem most unwise!

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Technically that may be true but I think they are making DARs put a few things in the operating limitations. Depends on the aircraft's capabilities, I guess.

Technically that may be true but I think they are making DARs put a few things in the operating limitations. Depends on the aircraft's capabilities, I guess.
I asked DAR, who did airworthiness inspection of my gyro, if I have to have magnetic compass onboard, his responce was exactly what I posted above: "FAA does NOT require ANY instruments to be installed on experimental aircraft for VFR flights".

Well, if your DAR told me that I have to have a magnetic compass for VFR flights in my experimental gyro, I'd ask him to refer me to specific paragraph in regulations supporting his claim.

BTW, I will remove the compass as soon as I return home, and mount on its place Garmin GDL50 ADS-B receiver, which now you can see left from compass on the photo.

PS. Greg Gremminger told me the same thing: compass is not required on experimental amatuer built aircraft. I did not ask him about other instruments though.

Last edited:
Just went through all 3 pages of Operating Limitations for my gyro, found no mention of required instruments for day VFR flights.

Last edited: