Installing toe/heel brakes.

Buckingdummy

I've been looking into different manufacturers most components are made for fixed wing certified aircraft and cost is 5000-7000. I'm looking for options/ideas on how to put them on a light gyro like a kb2 on a budget. I was hoping to find info online but so far haven't found much. I know sportcopter machines have them considering contacting them to see what options are available.

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
I switched my Air Command to differential tow brakes by using an old set of rudder pedals from a Cessna 140. I fabbed everything from chromoly tubing except the actual pedal and the master cylinders. I'll try to find some pictures. My only regret is I should have made the throw longer for more leverage and fine rudder adjustment while landing. Other than that they work pretty good.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,Eagle 150B, Titan T51, Thatcher CX4, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Blackmax brakes/ wheels. Easy and lots of options.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Kelly: Use the budget item that Bensen originally used: A flat plate made of wood. For a light KB-2 on a budget, make yourself a jig to hold one over each of your main's tires.

Make the plate behind the tire, so your cable pulls the plate forward into the tire. It also acts like a fender to keep small pebbles/mud out of the prop, if it's diameter is bigger than your tire footprint.

Rigging something up like that should be easy for a rancher guy like yourself who flys his gyro off the road out front of your spread!

Or, the Black Max line of go-kart supplies have hydraulic brake kits available for about $500...

Last edited:

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
To be honest, Sportcopter has the best set up for toe brakes, and I don't even like sportcopters !!
Your feet are always on the pedals for rudder or differential steering and braking.
Like any brake that is part of the pedal you have to depend on your rudder cables for the system to work.
Aircommand type heel brakes in stock fashion do not have differential braking, but do not depend on rudder cables to apply the brakes.

Ron Iaconis

GYRO 1 Ron Iaconis
Aircraft
Bensen/Mac&Dual instr W/Steve McGowan's Sparrowhawk&Tandem Parson's
Total Flight Time
I've been looking into different manufacturers most components are made for fixed wing certified aircraft and cost is 5000-7000. I'm looking for options/ideas on how to put them on a light gyro like a kb2 on a budget. I was hoping to find info online but so far haven't found much. I know sportcopter machines have them considering contacting them to see what options are available.
I have built two seperate foot operated differential disc brakes on my Bensen Gyros

Attachments

NJpilot

The Backyard Flier has an independent braking system light enough for an ultralight. It's shown 11:45 into the video.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
There's also Chuck Beaty's tire scuffing brakes he made for his ultralight gyro, pictures somewhere on the forum.
Didn't Chuck's idea used the inside sidewall of the main tires?