Insane to fly from US to Colombia?

jered

I live in Colombia but also have a place outside of Austin. I'd like to purchase a Gyroplane somewhere in the US (Texas if possible) spend some time getting comfortable and then fly it down to Colombia with a friend over a few weeks.

Is this an incredibly bad idea?

I'm mostly concerned with the regulations. I'll look more in to Colombia specifically for long term but passing through everything on the way down Mexico / Panama etc. I'm obviously not going to shoot straight out from Miami over the ocean.

Looking at higher end aircraft IE Xennon but open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
There is/was one Xenon and a dealer in Colombia.

Be careful that you don't get mistaken for a drug running plane and intercepted - plenty try and get binned en route.

With planning could be a true adventure.

Good luck.

jered

There is/was one Xenon and a dealer in Colombia.

Be careful that you don't get mistaken for a drug running plane and intercepted - plenty try and get binned en route.

With planning could be a true adventure.

Good luck.
When I was looking at flying fixed wing through there they made an emphasis on knowing how to respond when intercepted.

I had forgotten there was a Xenon / dealer here, I'll look in to that.

Would be an adventure though.

Thanks.

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
3800 with over 1900 in gyro
I hope this gives you some ideas.
I have flown in Costa Rica and that is no big deal. To start with you need a US customs sticker. Then when you enter US airspace you have to file letting customs know when an where you are entering.
Some countries have similar procedures. You will need to contact each one and see what they will require. Some only require a phone call like Canada. Some require a faxed copy of your certificate. They also might need a flight plan filed and make and model. Panama might be tricky because they had a couple incidents with gyros so they have been sticky with gyros from other countries. Also I know of trike guys flying down island to island on the Gulf side. This avoids some countries.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I've ferried one way over 30 aircraft to Mexico and all over South America including Columbia. As Desmon explained it was easy. Never had a problem, had to pay fees at the 1st airport with a port of entry.

The only problem I see is our short range. Not sure you can make the 1st port of entry in all countries while following roads for a landing zone else it jungle.
Not sure you would get in trouble if you had to land for fuel prior to the port of entry but I would not tell them you had to either?

The hardest part will be fuel stop landing zones. You many have to trailer her part of the way? There is just no place to land for 100's of miles the routes we took.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
PS:
Some countries required a transponder to enter the port of entry airspace but it was a while ago.

PanamaPaul

Aircraft
2 trikes,
Total Flight Time
200 +
I live and fly a Magni in Panama, and just got back from Nicaruagua, tring to get some thing set up for atrip there, so far you can only fly transit in Nica. I will know more in a month or so, I know you will need to contact all the country's ahead of time and a flight Plane is required, here in Panama, with a N # you can get a 1 yr permit to fly, my trikes and gyros are Panamanian reg. I have riden Motorcycles fro the U.S. A 6 or 7 times, it is a fun trip, and have thought of doing it in a Gyro.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
One of my trike students (German Andreas) has done just that but much more. He left from Florida, flew west across the US, went to Mexico, past the Andes, Brazil and back and he is right now in the Carribean and making his way back to the US through Virgin Islands. I just talked to him today. He said over the ocean he is only able to fly at less than 1500 feet right now as the sand from the Sahara desert hangs out over the ocean right now and its completely IMC there. Unfortunately on 2 hour flights over nothing but ocean water he looses radio contact for up to 30 minutes with the ATC.

jered

Man that sounds amazing, I don't know if I'd have the balls to fly a few hours over the ocean without contact.

I may begin actually planning this out. I'm taking a good look at a Xenon IV. I'm going to make a few lengthy flights stateside first to really get used to it.

I appreciate the help and this will be a hell of a voyage to document.

Edit: I've flown fixed wing but I'm just starting out in Gyroplanes, is this something I should get really experienced for first or it's just more of the same and don't worry?

Jered

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Might even be able to pick up some good weed along the way.

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
3800 with over 1900 in gyro
Man that sounds amazing, I don't know if I'd have the balls to fly a few hours over the ocean without contact.

I may begin actually planning this out. I'm taking a good look at a Xenon IV. I'm going to make a few lengthy flights stateside first to really get used to it.

I appreciate the help and this will be a hell of a voyage to document.

Edit: I've flown fixed wing but I'm just starting out in Gyroplanes, is this something I should get really experienced for first or it's just more of the same and don't worry?

Jered
Fly over water is not much diffrent then 500 miles of forest or glacier. Usually the landings turn out the same and that's not very good.
I had about 300 hrs in fixed wing and 100 in gyro when I flew my 172 down to Houston from Alaska. I also took my commercial CFI with me just to have more eyes on things. This was a fun trip 4000 miles in about a week. I was very glad I had a co pilot as well.
I have flown over lots of desolate hostile terain and water in my day in the artic. Over water when possible I like to fly high enough to be able to glide to shore. Over large expanses of forest I keep high and by rivers where possible. Roads are not options in many places up north. In winter I fly over large frozen lakes. Plenty of runway under those. They are usually 4 plus feet thick ice.
So plan carefully get over 50 gyro hours better yet get 200 before you try that trip. Then next time take a bunch of us to show us how it's done.

I myself would like to take a group in Florida to the Bahamas.

jered

Fly over water is not much diffrent then 500 miles of forest or glacier. Usually the landings turn out the same and that's not very good.
I had about 300 hrs in fixed wing and 100 in gyro when I flew my 172 down to Houston from Alaska. I also took my commercial CFI with me just to have more eyes on things. This was a fun trip 4000 miles in about a week. I was very glad I had a co pilot as well.
I have flown over lots of desolate hostile terain and water in my day in the artic. Over water when possible I like to fly high enough to be able to glide to shore. Over large expanses of forest I keep high and by rivers where possible. Roads are not options in many places up north. In winter I fly over large frozen lakes. Plenty of runway under those. They are usually 4 plus feet thick ice.
So plan carefully get over 50 gyro hours better yet get 200 before you try that trip. Then next time take a bunch of us to show us how it's done.

I myself would like to take a group in Florida to the Bahamas.
Sounds like an awesome trip down from Alaska.

I'd like to bring a friend of mine with a few thousand hours but I'm not sure if he'll be able to get away for a week. I'll probably just take advantage of the nice Austin weather and get as much flight time ahead of time as I can.

Planning it well and getting feedback should make it a lot safer.
I'd estimate at least a week on the flight with more hours than I'd like to put in daily but hard to say this early I haven't looked at any stops etc or done any planning besides where I start / finish.

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
Jered,

E-mail me at [email protected] ... I may have just the gyro for you....

-John