In the Beginning....

My red MTO took about 1 week to build. We had 6 guys building 3 gyros. So we teamed it up.

This one I has some help now and again from a few special friends. But the extra stuff I designed my self. The visor as far as I know has never been done on an MTO. I finished and installed and trimmed it today. I then put on the wind screens.

I have a picture of Bunty my friend sitting in the sun you can see it work ok.

I checked over everything from back to front and caught a few things that needed done. One was wire the filter to the engine. It had no hole to tie it so I drilled a hole in the filter and the intake.

I think it has turned out better then I could have hoped so far. I will be excited to test fly it. Now I just have to wait for the FAA to get my paper work back. I hope to have it ready for Sun and Fun

It will be great to have you Mark you are always welcome at my place what do you want to eat?

Attachments

• DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2
FAA alive and well

FAA alive and well

I procrastinated sending in my paper work for registration. Everyone told me about horror stories of a month or more. Well I sent it in on the 27th with 5 bucks. They must have done it just before they ran out of cash. It was done Tuesday the 4th.

Thats less then one week!!

N488FB. I guess that stands for Face Book lol.

I wonder if the Tower at Hooks would let me get away with that.

Mark came over to do some checks

Mark came over to do some checks

Mark showed up today for some final checks. He said everything seemed good except some little clean up things and the prerotaror shaft needs a little clean up as well.

So we got the blades put on!!

Attachments

• IMG_0484[1].jpg
    IMG_0484[1].jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
Looks awesome, Desmon!

Can't wait for the initial flight report.

Also, I'm curious. Have you ever flown a Calidus, and if so, how does it compare to the MTO?

Looks awesome, Desmon!

Can't wait for the initial flight report.

Also, I'm curious. Have you ever flown a Calidus, and if so, how does it compare to the MTO?

I have not flown one enough to to give a good evaluation. I find them quiet, faster, and a little smaller. They do not have as much useful load. But they have a heater.

I will be working with one soon so I will let you know what I think.

Last edited:
Once you get the abbreviated call sign you can always try. They don't know who you are by now?

I got the last of the last done today except the clock install Tail number and seats done.

This will have to wait till next week.

Then today someone calls me up and wants to buy it ASAP. So now what do I do.

Attachments

• DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
I sure did enjoy spending Saturday out at Hooks and looking over Desmon new MTO sport. That 912IS is one smooth running engine and the info display is just way too cool.The way he had to overcome some small items were right on. I know he and myself have taken what we have learned on 446QT and made some things better on the new ship. I like Desmon's work and his foresight in making things work. I have enjoyed him training me and getting me up to speed (was self taught 1980's) but also have learned he is one fine mechanic . Some guys have that God given talent to fly and work on anything and understand how to do it....he is one of these people.

I got the last of the last done today except the clock install Tail number and seats done.

This will have to wait till next week.

Then today someone calls me up and wants to buy it ASAP. So now what do I do.

If the price is right I'd say let it go. Your getting pretty good at building them so you're next one should be even quicker !

If the price is right I'd say let it go. Your getting pretty good at building them so you're next one should be even quicker !

The problem is not selling or building it. Its the time it takes to get a new one. About 3 months normally. So It sometimes is something that I have to do on a time line.

Hmm, must be the time of year or what?

The same thing has happen to me on Stan's build with 4 folks now that she is almost finished asking if I would sell and for how much.

As it will not take me as long to get a new kit I've decided I would rather have more flying gyro's in the US than my personal ride today so if one of them is serious and sends me the money to order a new kit form Nicolas I will sell her.

It is a hard choice to make buddy especially if I had to wait like you do. Good luck with your decision.

Desmond,

Unless you want to be out of work as a CFI for the next 3 months, you need to tell this prospective buyer he can buy it, but not for a few more months as you have to have a replacement available first. I guess if you want to become a builder more than a CFI you can just sell it and start working on the next one, but there will sure be a lot of disappointed people that want training that won't be able to get it from you. As they are getting more popular and sales are going to start increasing, the best answer is to have several ordered at a time so there is always another one or two in the pipeline so that people don't have to wait for months to get one but I realize that costs a lot of money to get into that position. I believe that is what AirGyro is trying to do so that they always have something available for immediate sale but still have other machines they can use to continue on with training.

I guess another idea would be to sell the machine to your potential buyer but with an agreement that he will lease it back to you to use as a trainer for at least 90 days while you work to get your next one ready. Often this kind of an arrangement can be a win win for both parties. Best of luck!!!

Desmon...
Where did you get your sheeting from for the sun shade? I am needing to add a little to my left rear radiator support...too much of a gap left between it and the bodywork to just seal with a bead of "black stuff". Got the correct new contour and removed the rear support...just need to get it done.

Thanks,

The problem is not selling or building it. Its the time it takes to get a new one. About 3 months normally. So It sometimes is something that I have to do on a time line.

Guido has a couple "lightly" used ones you could get just as quick as he could roll it into a shipping container and send it up your way !

The problem with getting one of Guidos is they are factory built. That will not work in America. As for training people I still have full use of my old one right now and just pay some back to the new owner it is still listed on my LODA. I have some cool options but Decissions sometimes complicate things.

For Doug in Utah I will be flying commercial to ROTR the year and borrowing Kent's 914 MTO while helping in Brigham City

The problem with getting one of Guidos is they are factory built. That will not work in America. As for training people I still have full use of my old one right now and just pay some back to the new owner it is still listed on my LODA. I have some cool options but Decissions sometimes complicate things.

For Doug in Utah I will be flying commercial to ROTR the year and borrowing Kent's 914 MTO while helping in Brigham City

Not that you would want to but just for the sake of discussion couldn't you register one of Guido's ships as Experimental Exhibition ? I've seen guys bring oddball aircraft in before under that banner.

Not that you would want to but just for the sake of discussion couldn't you register one of Guido's ships as Experimental Exhibition ? I've seen guys bring oddball aircraft in before under that banner.

You could but that does not let you do to much with it but show people.
Technically you cant even take it to another place with out asking each time someone from the FAA. Its not worth it. You might be able to fly it in country for a bit with a special waiver. Like when you fly a US aircraft down to Mexico or in Canada. You would still have the Costa Rica registration and tail number. But this is only a temp fix

You could but that does not let you do to much with it but show people.
Technically you cant even take it to another place with out asking each time someone from the FAA. Its not worth it.

I've got an Experimental Exhibition plane. My operating area is anywhere within 350 miles. I think that large an area is pretty typical with Ex-Exh. Seldom do I leave this area.

When I want to leave the 350 mile radius, I don't ask the FAA, I just send them a fax before I leave and then leave. You don't need an answer from them. They arent looking to give permission, they just want notification before you do it.

I can take anyone up wherever I want and whenever I want. I don't know if compensation as CFI can be done in it.

It all depends on the restrictions imposed on the certificate. I have seen some that can only be flown at one airport and no where else. The Carter Copter is like this. But Many times they do not even want you to take anyone in it except to train a new pilot to test them. It just depends. Normally its not what you want to be doing unless you have a special reason.