Improved hydraulic pump flanges available

Rick Martin

Gold Member
Aircraft
Everglades Kite Gyro, Tandem Dominator
Total Flight Time
900 hours
Knowing that there has been a problem with the lower unit pump flanges breaking, I approached a machinist friend of mine and had him make up some better flanges out of billet 6061-t6 instead of using the stock cast units. I already had a 4 bolt unit on mine but I replaced it anyway. He also made a 2 bolt version for Ernie. And Ernie even had him add some additional thickness to the bases of those units. If you are coming to Bensen Days, you can see a 2 bolt version installed on Mike Boyette's Dominator and a 4 bolt version on my Dominator tandem. You can get them from my friend Brad for $50. His number is 2 BOLT FLANGE.JPG
4 BOLT FLANGE.JPG

941 720-0782. Here are some photos of the improved pump flanges.

Last edited:
Nice! I switched from the two bolt to 4 bolt and got better life out of the flange. Machined would be much stronger

Brad is makin these for 50 bucks. Not these particular ones. He wouldn't make just two, so I had to make my own.
He does a nice job for a good price.
I would have to charge 200 bucks for the same thing, gotta love a CNC :)
Can't blame him, setin up for two ain't worth it.
Now to decide four hole or two hole flange

Attachments

• 100_0002.JPG
    100_0002.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0007.JPG
    100_0007.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0004.JPG
    100_0004.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I've asked Brad to make a run of six or so two-bolt flanges as soon as he has time. Please post here if you will want one. That way if we need more than six, you can all get them on this run and not have to wait.

No Title

photo127344.pngphoto127345.png Postin the pics for Rick and Brad for the flanges.

Last edited:
I love machined billet !

Like my Souza redrive.......I will be using this engine !

Attachments

• IM000198.JPG
    IM000198.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Update on the flanges!
Brad Kapper finally called me and said that he finished making a run of hydraulic pump flanges that fit Ernie's lower unit pumps. He has sixteen of the 2 bolt flanges and four of the 4 bolt flanges on the shelf. His number is 941 720-0782.