ignition coil failure

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
I have a question, can my ignition coil pack go bad on my Subaru engine if the ignition switch is left on for a long period of time without the engine running.?

I was told that it could,

I have seen it with a points and condenser ignition system, but I do not believe it will cook a coil with an electronic system. It's too late and I am too tired to think it through however.

Thanks Tom,if you come up with something let me know.

How long do you mean "when left on for a long time"? I had a Subaru Outback that had very sporadic ignition problems that I couldn't track down myself. I brought it to a import mechanic who had some kind of testing equipment and the coil tested marginal and replaced the coil pack which corrected the problem. I have since learned that this is a common problem with the 2.5 L engines. I have not heard that leaving the ignition on would cause this to happen sooner.

Thanks for your comments Mike,the ignition was on for several hours at a time over a period of a few weeks. I did not

know about this being a common problem with the 2.5's

In an ECM controlled engine, the plugs are not fired until the engine is turning.
The engine has Camshaft and Crankshaft Position Sensors.
Normal startup requires the crank to make one-half to a full revolution for the ECM to figure out where the pistons are in their cycles.
Before this happens, the Plugs and Coils will not be energized and you were just running the battery down.