Icom Radios

Benjo

Hi everyone I’m some trouble with my icom A16e with my Flycom helmet. My Mike won’t turn off on the handset and the helmet mike won’t work does anyone else have any wisdom to fix this problem ?

Mate this a new setup we had it running a couple of months ago and found there is a setting on the hand held radio that has to be changed for the mic to work but unfortunately I have forgotten what to do, everything else works fine

The Side tone function outputs the transmitting audio to the headset connected to the transceiver. z While transmitting, push [▲] or [▼] to adjust the side tone output level. • The side tone level is displayed while adjusting.

OR

■ MIC Audio Input “ ” Select a microphone to input the audio. • AUTO: ("MIN")Transmit the audio from the device whose [PTT] is pushed. • INT: Transmit the audio from the internal microphone. • EXT: Transmit the audio from the external microphone. • BT*: Transmit the audio from the Bluetooth headset. *For only the transceiver with built-in Bluetooth unit.
Page 16 of your manual.

Regards...........Chook.

Yeah thanks everyone I have tried all these combinations with no luck at this stage I was hoping it was a setting as it was last time. Chook I tried all those combinations and I still got absolutely nothing from my headset mic only the hand set mike would operate !
Tgabnks anyway guys much appreciated

Benjo some questions:
1)Are you connecting into the A16E with their OPC-2401 interface cord?
2)What plug/plugs do you have from your Flycom helmet?
3)Does the PTT symbol appear on your A16E when you push your external PTT button?

Can I suggest that you use 123.45 mHz while testing your radio and make sure you are using an antenna or a dummy load so that these tests don't upset other users.

Regards........Chook. (West Aussie)

Hi Chook,
1) Yes i'm using the OPC 2401 cord
2) The flycom came with a single 6.3/6.6 mm audio plug which I had to purchase a adapter from pilot communications to suit the GA plugs on the opc-2401
3) I can't confirm as i don't recall a ptt symbol chook but i do get the standard TX symbol com up on the screen when pushing either PTT
This handheld by the way was purchased in Aus as im told there are different models. All testing was done yesterday on 123.45 mHz. And a couple of times 132.900 mHz at the aerodrome.

When i first had it all running a couple of months ago which was only a couple of minutes with machine on and off, I was on 126.700 mHz and had the same initial problems as i've described above and all i did from memory was turn off the Blue tooth and change the mic setting to Internal. ANL is turned off, TOT is turned off, My squelch is around 5 ATM and the side tone ive tried at all different levels. the only other variable i've noticed since i returned home and re-reading the manual is the handset will stop transmitting if the battery is exhausted. I not sure what the manufacturer means by exhausted. The battery voltage was 7.2 volts and took about 2 hours to charge up today. I did how ever try the helmet headset on an older icom 24 and it worked fine for both transmit and recieve.

thanks Benno !

Benjo from what I am reading you are doing everything right. If pressing either the internal PTT key (the one on the radio) or the external PTT switch (the one connected to your OPC 2401 cord) brings up the TX indicator on your A16E then it is seeing your action and activating the transmit function of your radio. There is another option with the A16E where it responds to either the internal or external PTT switch. You might try experimenting with those 3 functions (internal, external or both). Yes leave the blue tooth out of the equation.
You have also spotted the low voltage "no transmit" facility of this radio. Good to have a full charge whenever testing. There is a low voltage icon top RHS of screen which would come on when you press the PTT key if the battery was flat. Transmitting uses the most power from your battery so if it were marginal then the radio goes into this self protect mode and stops draining the battery.
Try retesting everything we have covered here or better still get someone else to test the functions. (A new set of eyes and all that)

Regards.........Chook.

Hi,

yeah thanks for all the info I may have been marginal on the battery but I cant confirm as I already charged the handset after I read it in the manual. I think you r right i' need to just re check everything with a fresh battery and someone else !!

Thanks once again, if I find a problem i'll update the info here !

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update in this issue, on the A16E and Flycom helmet combination you have to have the flycom 2ohm impedance adapter to suit ($ 150 ) and on the handheld you have to have the setting for the mic audio set on BT blue tooth mode ! I don’t know why this is as it makes no sense maybe just the way it was wired up from factory !
Thanks for all the help it’s appreciated