Icom A22 problem

GrantR

Aircraft
Kolb MarkIII and a "Jake" Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
My A22 will stop transmitting when my volume is turned up 3/4 to full on the radio. The display on the radio changes from showing the frequency to showing " CLING" The only way to clear this is to turn off the radio and turn it back on and avoid volume over 1/2. I can hear other planes but can not transmit when this happens. I have a brand new battery in the radio. The radio did this before when I had it in the Kolb with the old battery.

I have searched the internet and the manual and I can not find anything about the "CLING" error/ problem I am getting.

What does this error mean and how can i fix it? I need the volume up so i can hear!

Grant, a wild guess here, but something has come loose in the radio. "CLING" may be a reference to "cloning," a setting in which the radio is ready to transfer memories and other programming from a similar radio. Better check with the Icom forums, or an authorized service center.

I beleived is the battery. try a direct 12v source without the battery and see if it wroks fine.
ChuckP

I've had such bad luck with A22 NiCads that I got one of the 8 AA battery carriers. Problem solved. Alkaline batteries last a lot longer and now that both Radio Shack and WalMart have 20 packs of AA batteries as a standard sale item, it isn't particularly expensive.

My NiMH pack is new. I am not getting the low battery. I had a guy on the ground with a handheld and he said my transmissions were choppy and hard to understand and were to the rhythm of the rotor with a waop waop sound.

My 2nd flight he could not hear me at all and i could not hear him. I have no idea what’s going on. Radio works one min and quits the next.

The gyro will be down for a little while. Today, one of my redrive mounting bolts sheared off! And the air shocks gave me a very interesting sideways takeoff. So I got a few things to sort out in addition to the radio now!

Ohhh..."interesting" is never good when applied to flight characteristics. Good luck sorting it out.

Icom Tech:

The actual message that is being shown is "CLNG" or "Clone No Good". This message means that the radio has somehow lost it's primary programming to the main processor. The radio will need to be send in and our service technicians will need to look at the radio and determine the solution. Otherwise, without a technician, the radio will not work like it should. Our Service Department will be able to assist you with this and I recommend that you send it to them. Please include a note with your radio that describes the trouble and also, please include any contact information. Then, when ready, please send the radio to the attention of the Service Department at the address shown just below my signature. I hope that this will be helpful.

Ok so I wonder how much it will cost to repair. Should I just go for a newer used radio like an A6 or A 24?

Should I just go for a newer used radio like an A6 or A 24?

Are any extra batteries or accessories you've bought for the old radio compatible with the new one? If they are, I'd go for the new radio. By the time you get done with shipping both ways and repairs, it might not be worth getting back an old radio.

Call them and ask how much,
I have a couple of A22's I might sell one of them.

Or if you decide to get another radio, stay with the icom, otherwise you will have to get another PTT, and patch cords etc.

Update:

The wiring in my Helmet was shot so I had someone locally rewire it for free! That didn't solve the problem. I was still getting the CLNG error on my radio and the volume was not great.

Assume nothing! The PPT harness was the problem the entire time. The radio came with my plane back in 07. It has always given the CLNG error.

I found a link to the wiring diagram for the PPT on the forum. After checking the wiring i found that some of the wire were incorrect. After I resoldered the wires WOW! The volume is super loud, I can hear myself transmit and the radio does not lock out with the CLNG error.

Good job finding the problem Grant...

Way to go Grant, glade you solved it and thanks for sharing this could help someone else learn what to troubleshoot for the same problem!