Ice and snow in Texas !

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
The last few days have been unusual (rare) in Central Texas.
Thursday saw freezing rain which coated EVERYTHING with about 1/2 inch of clear ice. Many broken tree branches.
As of Monday afternoon, the temperature has not gotten above freezing in days, but we got 6 inches of powdery snow on top of the ice late last night.
The early morning temperature was 4F/-15C. Definitely not "Hawaiian shirt day" !
Probably "normal", if not "balmy" for other parts of the world, but a challenge here.
Today's fun was the addition of "rolling black-outs" with the power being cut twice so far today due to very high electrical demand.
Amazing how much trouble some frozen water can cause !
The snow would make a smooth runway, but the bumpy ice below is ROUGH.
Stay warm...

DavePA11

I suspect your brownouts will become the norm overtime, Buy a good generator. Weathers no good for flying either...

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Sister in San Antonia muttering much better about her various plants being effected by the cold, brown outs and possible power cuts. I rather unsympathetically told her the weather in London has been just as cold for weeks now.

curtisscholl

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Building Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
60+
Hi Folks:

I spent time with the USAF in North Dakota. -20 or thereabouts every winter...I moved to Texas after. But then moved to Michigan. My wife, who is from Bay City, told me it would be more moderate in Michigan. 5/6 years ago it was -23 when we moved into the new (old) house. And Today, -12. Now I can't even say "I shoulda stayed in Texas"...lol