I quit!!!!!!!!!

jebthereb

AWS CWI
Aircraft
trained in mto sport. Trained in r22
Total Flight Time
9 hrs MTO Sport 13.5 hrs r22
Well I am going to try anyway.

It is time. I have developed a nasty cough. I am short of breath and my car stinks.

Today is the first smoke free day.

I need a little encouragement.

I am not going cold turkey, I am using one of the patches.

The wife and kids are on board.

I am following all of the recommendations with the stop smoking kit.

Wish me luck.

I figured out that I will be able to almost pay for 1 hour of flight lessons a month by not spending money on smoking.

I am going to lay off the coffee and beer for a time to disassociate those from smoking. Looks like I'll save a little more money too.

Thanks

You can do it.
I quit 37 years, one month and 5 days ago.
I hardly ever think about it.

You can do it, when you get the urge to light up just think of gyro flying! Good Luck

Go for it jebthereb....

Aussie Paul. :)

Quit smoking

Quit smoking

Good Luck. The old joke is I can quit any time.....done it lots times. I quit many times before I finally got it to work. Was up to 4 packs a day. Best health thing I ever did.
One of the techniques I used was if I still wanted a cigarette, I had to only smoke the cigarette. Don't do anything but feel the smoking. Sense it. Don't have coffee and a cig, don't have a cig and a drink.....just smoke and feel all of it. It took 6 months but it was worth it.
And still today I will get a whiff and "want" a cig. Quitting added 20 which became 30 pounds to my 6 foot frame, and even that is worth not smoking. All this was just last week. Kidding. It was over 30 years ago and still worth it.

Having failed to quit many times, I switched to roll-yer-owns, got used to them for
a while, and when I next decided to quit, it was pretty easy.
I reckon I had got rid of all the crap in the store-bought cigarettes, so dumping
the straight tobacco was relatively easy.

That was about 20 years ago. I had been on 3+ packs a day for years.

Don't miss 'em.

Built a gyro with the savings.

Jeb,

Good for you! There are lots of good reasons to quit smoking but the important thing is that you find a reason that works for you and then keep focused on why it is important for you. While you may or may not have relapses, the important thing is to stay focused on the goal and your "why" and you will get there. And like everyone else that has already chimed in, once you get there you will realize that it was worth it and you will be glad you did. May the Force be with you!

I figured it up one day. Because I do not smoke or drink...I have saved $327,000.00 in my lifetime. That has bought me a lot of good times.

I praise you for the step you have taken! YAY YOU!

PS...I act like I'm drunk 24 hrs/day.

My wife quit

My wife quit

after 30 years of smoking. she used Chantix and it worked great. By the end of it she felt like she never smoked before. she did have some of the negative side effects like the halucinations and vivid dreams but they weren't bad and she was able to kick the habit.

have you tried real tobacco cured right off the stalk to smoke ! like what the Indians smoked before they were banned from the USA and lost there identity ? i grow tobacco i will send to you free to smoke !! I guarantee if you smoke this real tobacco with no chemicals added like freon, yes a chemical for your a/c , you will want no more tobacco at all to smoke!! you are hooked on there chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!! not the cigarette.!!!

Taint I appreciate the offer. I have always wondered about that aspect of the industry. I am most concerned with my health right now. I am thirty seven and it will be almost 20 years of smoking and money down the drain. I would rather just walk away from all of it right now.

I used the "one step at a time" water pic filters. Worked great. This was on my birthday,june 18th in 1976.

Good luck, I tried a lot of approaches. I smoked up to two packs a day of Camel Filters. Started when I was about 11 or 12. Imagine a straight A nerd who was hooked on smokes from the time he was a freshman in high school...Finally decided to go from Camel regulars, pack a day, to Camel straights. From there, I stopped before breakfast. then each cigarette after that, until I got to the hardest one - the one after dinner. Eventually, I got it down to only when I went to the Bar. Eventually, I got it down to where I could count the ones I had per year on one or two hands.

I still occasionally bum a smoke. But got it under control about 30 years ago. I'll never be able to say I will never smoke again. I enjoy it too much to deny myself that little sin now and then.

Hey, whatever works for you, GOOD LUCK AND DO YOUR BEST! No matter what, don't let it control YOU. What changed my mind? I met a really lovely girl when I was in my mid 20's and she didn't smoke. She never asked me to quit, but she meant so much to me I didn't want her to kiss an ashtray. I wanted to be a sweet taste on her lips. She became my second wife.

After we divorced and I became a road warrior, I went back to it full bore. Finally kicked it again in my late 30's. Picked it up again in my late 40's working in a high-stress military contractor's job after 9/11, but was able to kick it again for another girl in Japan. Havent' been a serious smoker since. But if I could I know I would. I just know it ain't gonna do me no good and costs a bundle.

My point is, if ya fall off the wagon, dont' let it get to you and dont' feel guilty. Just dust yerself off and get it under control again.

Last edited:
have you tried real tobacco cured right off the stalk to smoke ! like what the Indians smoked before they were banned from the USA and lost there identity ? i grow tobacco i will send to you free to smoke !! I guarantee if you smoke this real tobacco with no chemicals added like freon, yes a chemical for your a/c , you will want no more tobacco at all to smoke!! you are hooked on there chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!! not the cigarette.!!!

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, has a historical village complete with home-grown tobacco. I snitched a leaf late season one year, dried it in my garage, rolled it up and lit that bad boy.

It is NOTHING like a processed cigarette, I'll give you that sir.

I quit cold turkey. Will power. It was my weakness to begin, and a childish behavior to continue. When you realize that, it's easy to quit.

I wish you the best of luck.

I was just earlier today telling my wife that tomorrow, 1/23 is my 26th anniversary of quiting smoking and i did it cold turkey like others have done. Without gum or patches or any other chemical substitue. it is all bad for you. I smoked for 15 years 2 packs a day!

Ice water washes the nicotine from your system over time so a couple glasses a day is what i did for months and that helped and i got away from anyone who smoked and stayed away from places that smoking was allowed. took about a month to not crave a smoke then it was a done deal.

Here in Colorado now pretty much the whole state is non smoking in public which i really like!

Good Luck, stick with it and when you feel weak and are going to cave, stick a straw in your mouth and pretend that you are smoking and do someting to distract you from cheating!

Last edited:
Go for it.

When i smoked I always found the time I was most desperate for one was when I couldn't have one. It drove me crazy.
So when I gave up I carried a full pack and a zippo around for 3 months. never touched them.

The worst time is when your guard is down, you have had a few beers or a great meal with friends, while you are busy laughing and joking someone offers you one and before your brain realises it your hand has grabbed one and stuck it between your lips.

Something that does help is that within 2 weeks of stopping you will realise how bad they smell and taste.

Best thing I ever did for my health was to stop smoking, second best thing was to reduce my carb intake.

I've been smoking some 50 plus years and quit cold-turkey 56 days ago….I'll skip the hours, min. and seconds. It has been hell….for around 5 min, 30 times a day at first….it's now down to about 10 sobbing times a day. I kept those suckers on a bench about 10 feet from my computer, and now I find myself standing at that bench realizing there is no reward, anymore. It was my only vice….and it helped me to think.

But life is gradually getting better…..and I can breathe easier lying-down at night. That's the only plus I can think of right now, other than being a good boy for listening to my doctor.....

If there are problems, use a combination of hipnosys and accupuncture, it will ease the effort!
Tough addiction!
I wish you victory and better health!
Heron

Once you have your determination built up enough nothing has a chance. They stink, they cost a bunch, they take time out of your day, they screw your health up, and they have control of you. I used to think that cigarettes relaxed me but now I realize that once addicted it was the act of not having one made me up tight so having another felt relaxing. No ciggies for 10 years now. TRYING is not the correct attitude. Do it. Good luck.

Gilbert

Last edited: