I love a road trip!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I love this country and I love to travel.

I have been on the road for since July second and am home after driving a little over 8,305 miles.

I stopped by to see a gyroplane friend in Montana and visited several delightful small museums along the way to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

I headed down to the National Air force Museum in Dayton Ohio stopping at the Waco Museum and learning center in Troy, Ohio on the way to pick up Mike at Chicago/Midway to attend the Popular Rotorcraft Association Convention in Mentone, Indiana.

Mike and I had a wonderful time at the Convention judging for the various classes of gyroplanes. It is truly a joy listening to stories about the love and thought that has gone into the various machines.

Greg made lemonade out of a rainy Friday and we had a wonderful two part gyroplane discussion in the classroom that I hope happens again next year. A lot of good information was exchanged.

After the convention I headed off to North Carolina to see my friend Jim who I have known for 60 years. He is a newly rated instrument pilot of a new Cirrus SR22 and a recently displaced native Californian. He lives in a beautiful house on a lake and has a hangar/home at a local airpark.

We got four hundred miles of flying in and visited the NASCAR museum in Charlotte despite random popup thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Jim beat me in the NASCAR simulator.

On the way up to Oshkosh Sunday I stopped by a small town car show.

Sunday afternoon I arrived at a friend’s house in Oshkosh where I had rented a bedroom for three days.

Air Venture was a delight and I attended 12 seminars in three days and learned a lot.

I visited with lots of friends, and made some new ones; finding value in every exchange.

I saw lots of eye candy and purchased some new switches for the cyclic controls in the Predator.

I made the difficult decision to miss the night airshow and left Wednesday afternoon to get an early start on the 2,240 mile drive back to Nipomo, CA and home. Thursday I learned the night airshow was postponed due to a storm.

The drive home was delightful; staying in Avoca, Iowa the first night and in Beaver, Utah the second night where all the lower rooms were flooded by a flash flood just before my arrival.

I returned the Prius to Avis Friday afternoon on her averaging 51.7 miles to the gallon for the adventure.

It feels good to be home with my Ed and I hope to go flying tomorrow in preparation for resuming flight instructing next week.

I had my seventy second birthday on the road and it takes me longer to recover than it used to.

I have Prius lag and when I sit still it feels like I am still moving while sitting at my desk.

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Good to see you again Vance and looking forward to next.

Oh yea, by the way; Happy birthday

DavePA11

Vance,

May I ask where in North Carolina is the airpark near a lake? I’m looking to move back east.

Thanks,
Dave

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Lake Norman Airpark, Mooresville, North Carolina (14A).

Runway 14/32 is 3,147 long by 40 feet wide, asphalt in good condition.

Field elevation is 808 feet MSL with 49 operations per day.

Fuel is available on the field with a functional FBO; self serve and full serve.

RNAV (GPS) runway 14.Lake Norman Air Park.jpg

Last edited:

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Vance….. if I knew you were so close to our neck of the woods….The Barnstormers would have treated you to dinner!! 😁

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you Barry K; it would have been an honor.

The visit to my friend Jim was very last minute and somewhat hurried.

I am sure Jim would have enjoyed meeting you.

I scrapped a visit to the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia for lack of time.

okikuma

Another delightful trip you experienced Vance.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned you have been experiencing "Prius lag." When I was a teenager after a full day of surfing, I could still "feel" the gentle up and down motion of the swells of the ocean while lying in my bed that evening.

Happy Belated Birth Day

Wayne