I Lost My Father Today

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

The R/C community has truely lost an icon today, and I of course, have lost my father.

Dan Stevens most noted for the building of the giant B-29/X-1 show http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/ and one of the forefathers to current "Fun-Fly" planes, passed away today at 73 years old from Prostate cancer (Guys get your can checked).

FYI.....Pop's was checked annually, and by the time the caught it, it had already got into his blood. That was maybe 8 months ago.

He was a man of great character, he was my father, and I will miss him dearly. He taught me to live and fly. Maybe a few things about the ladies too.

Screw-Out

Attachments

• Team Stevens.jpg
    Team Stevens.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
Screw-In

Mac Hodges sent out this email to all in our flying community, and I thought I would share.

Greetings From Hodges Hobbies;

It's a sad day for me as I write this email to inform you that my best friend, Dan Stevens, passed away this afternoon. His battle with cancer is now over. I knew this day was coming but that hasn't made it any easier. My thoughts and sympathy are with Nancy, Dani, Bill, John, and Mike.
Dan and I go back a long way. I first met Dan about 1979 when I came down from Atlanta, where I was living at the time, to attend a fun fly contest that Pop Curtis, another dear friend, was putting on down at Veterans Park. Pop told me there was a guy named Dan Stevens from Albany that won every contest he entered. Pop said Dan had just won a contest that had a bomb drop by flying over at 3 feet of altitude and, doing a roll, put the bomb in the middle of a 3 foot circle. Pop said he was one great pilot but that he was "just so damned caustic". And those of you that knew Dan can probably see where Pop got that opinion. I moved back to the farm in late 1979 and Dan and I started running into each other quite a bit at local contests. I think it was because of a mutual respect for each other's flying skills that he and I hit it off and we became good friends. We started going to fun fly contests together in the 80s and have been traveling to various events all over ever since. It was during one of these trips with the old B-29 that Dan came up with the idea for the X-1. When we got home he got busy and soon we had a X-1 to test fly. And when the original B-29 folded a wing at Joe Nall in 2001, Dan built the current B-29 in 6 months. Dan said he had an X-1 sitting around that needed a ride. Dan could build anything from just a three view. He was the best builder I have ever known. And he was a fast builder, he didn't sit around and think about what he needed to do, he knew what needed to be done and did it. Born in 1935, Dan loved airplanes and started building models at an early age. He was a crew member with the Thunderbirds during his tenure in the Air Force. We called him "Mr. Airplane" because he knew more about building, finding the cg on complicated planes, or anything you wanted to know. He could identify any WW 2 era military plane. Not only could he identify it but he could tell you all about it! His knowledge of warbirds never ceased to amaze me. As did his knowledge of most anything. Dan was well read and it showed. Dan was a smart guy with loads of common sense and always had the most practical answer to any problem or situation.
Back when the competition funflys were going strong, Dan designed the Stick-It which was kitted and became so popular most people called any fun fly plane like that a "Stick-It". Dan probably did more to popularize the Lanier Stinger in this area than anyone else. Most of us can fondly picture Dan flying a Stinger at local fly-ins, doing a tight pitchout to a perfect landing. Dan also loved airplanes that were different as was demonstrated by his unusual German warbirds.

There will be no funeral. There will be a Celebration of Dan's Life at his home this Saturday, September 6, from 4pm until 6pm. You don't need to bring food or flowers, just come by. The address is - 2816 Somerset Dr., Albany, GA. Somerset Drive is in NW Albany, one block east of N. Doublegate Drive. Take Gateway Ave. or Burlington Rd. off of N. Doublegate and they will intersect with Somerset.

The "Dan Stevens Is My Copilot" bumper sticker on the front of my van will always be there as reminder of this great man and friend that I loved dearly, Mac

Screw-Out

Screw,
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Cancer is one of the plagues of our time. There are not many families who have not been touched by it. I'm glad you had 8 months with him after he was diagnosed.

Screw,

Sorry for your loss.

Screw-In

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm just glad it's over and he is in a better place.

I have been able to talk to him and see him for a while and spent alot of weekend visiting and helping Mom.

Wednesday, the 27th he was having a good day, and he and Mom went to eat at "Pearly's" for lunch like they did every as normal.

By that night he, couldn't stop shaking, and Mom had to get the neibor to help her get him into his hospital bed. By the next morning, he couldn't talk or get out of bed. My brothers, sister, and I all got the call Thurday, that he had taking a turn for the worst.

All of us were there Friday. It tore my heart apart to see my Father as we was, and it became very clear to all of us that the man we knew as our father had already left. His body just hasn't stopped breathing.

None of us thought he would make it threw the weekend. Monday came around like it always does, and you just cannot predict the future. We were very afraid that this would linger on for another week, month, or longer.

Two of my brothers stayed and decided to back home and go to work. I was planning on leaving around noon, and Dad was awake with his eyes open. (He would be awake for a while and asleep for even longer. All weekend, we took turns holding hands, reading article out of newspaper, magazine, or just "plane" talking.) I went to him and say goodbye, and he seemed to understand. He smiled, and puckered up for that last kiss.

I lost it, cried like a baby, and packed my stuff and went home. I wasn't gonna get a better goodbye than that.

Sure enough, First day back at work, I get the call this afternoon that he had passed. Part of me is angry that I didn't stay, but part of me that knows my Dad, knows that he would have wanted me to be at work. My dad never called in "Sick" the entire 23+ years he worked for P&G.

He has always been a hard act to follow.

Screw-Out

You are fortunate that you had time to say your goodbyes and be together. I had that with my Dad but I still miss him every day.

We will all meet again.

Drink deeply of your faith,

John,

I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dad was a great guy. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. at least you got to say good bye.

I was at work when my dad passed, I think to this day that has effected me with normal work.

but anyway our prayers are with you and your family, he sounds like he was a great man and he would have been intresting to have met and talked to about the war birds.

Hope you can make Wrenns and do some flying.

like you said at least he is not suffering anymore and I am sure he is in a better place now.

John- sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry John

I'm sorry John

Our sincere condolences for your loss John.

Jim

John tell us more about your dad, he must of been a pretty special guy. Truly sorry for your loss. You obviously have good friends here who care.
Russ

John,

I am sorry for your loss.

sorry for your loss I remember when my dad died I was in the back yard mowing the yard. my wife came out and said something but I could'nt hear cause of the mower I kept saying what I can't here you. and when I turned off the mower she yelld your dad is dead. the lady he was living with in california called and said he had a heart attack he was my best friend. that was 11 year ago. I still mis him but the pain went away after awhile hang in their.

Sorry, John.

These things happen, but time and love will help...

I remember when my father died, more than twenty years ago. I revive now that terrible -but not unexpected- phone call from my sister...

My father liked planes a lot. If I like flying, it's mostly thanks to him...

Xavier

John....
I am so sorry for your loss.
pwongkit

My condolences to you and your family John, feel free to call anytime.