I Learned about flying from that...

The importance of a good pre-flight briefing.

Some time ago I had a friend who I will refer to as Bob who lives a long way away find a way to stop by Santa Maria on a road trip.

The picture is not Bob and Bob is not his real name.

And lo and behold ‘Bob’ was I...if I am not mistaken Vance, on flight which I thoroughly enjoyed and certainly a top gyro flight for me.

If not, then someone else followed my mistake with the mike button, but pretty sure I was the one, much to my chagrin. It was unfortunately easy to inadvertently press

The episode with the mixture is an old but good one, if you do something that results in matters getting worse...reverse what you did. My mistake in not putting to rich for TO.

Luckily my first instructor was a very experienced Instructor from RAF Central Flying School, ie an Instructors Instructor who delighted in 'fan stops’ every lesson, and in a variety of ways. Later on quite near the ground just after TO, just to keep me on my toes.

It was very good training and really sharpened one up to something happening in one the the most critical phases of flight. Thing is to keep calm and, if all else fails, keep control, fly the machine, and land in the most suitable area you can find.

You remained very calm, and I do not think either of us was going to die, unless me of embarrassment if I had not had a restart, we had good spots ahead. I had had so many of those it was almost like a repeat of my initial training, and, as I practice those a lot in my gyro flying as well.

I think almost every flight can be a learning process. I think there remains a large amount of learning by my mistakes because few flight are completely perfect, and most will contain something for me to reflect on.

Enjoyed the ribs later as well.

Last edited:
Being busy elsewhere I haven't done this for a while, but as this one happened 19 years ago today and still hurts, I hope it might make someone stop and think before it’s too late.

I haven’t flown many gyroplanes other than my Delta-J. I’m a naturally cautious character in any aspect of life and I think this has helped me survive situations in the air that, were I more confident in my abilities, may have had different results. I’ve never assumed that just because I can fly my bird, I can hop into any other gyroplane and take it up – and I would never forgive myself if I damaged someone else’s machine.

When faced with a new gyro, I like to taxi a bit, two-wheel-balance and hop a little to get the feel of it first. Strapped into a grumbling B8V for the first time, its more natural seating position was fine, but the twist grip throttle and strange wobbling motion of the airframe in synch with the prop felt very strange. It took a good half dozen trips down the runway before I began to get in tune with the beast, but even then I wouldn’t fly it. Another Cricket seemed different again, although it was wearing a 582 and had a similar layout to my own bird, it was like starting from scratch. However, the circumstances in which I flew my first ever new single-seater (Magni M18) didn’t allow me the chance for a few ground runs, despite which I managed to make a reasonable job and returned it in one piece – with great relief all round! I sometimes wonder if I’m too cautious.

In 2001 I was back at Henstridge airfield, when my mate Keith appeared in the circuit with his B8V. I was delighted. Keith had started off on the gyro-glider with me a few years earlier and had returned after obtaining his own machine to learn the important ground work, before basing himself near Henstridge to complete his training. Recently qualified, I hadn’t seen him fly the Bensen before and was very happy to see him make a nice approach and landing.

After catching up with each other, we made for the hangar where several students were preparing their machines for training. Despite his low hours and very recent qualification, Keith seemed to have assumed the role of test pilot and began confidently jumping into various other gyroplanes and steaming off round the circuit in them, obviously loving every minute. This activity continued over the weekend and I was concerned to spot him porpoising quite badly several times and actually run one machine off the runway into the grass, although he was steady and competent in his own Bensen.

I was worried that he was letting his confidence outweigh his experience – surely he should’ve corrected that PIO – he had been very good on the gyro-glider. But he seemed to be having such a good time and the other students were obviously happy for him to fly their machines, that I kept quiet and thought that perhaps it was me who was taking the wrong approach.

How wrong could I be. Just five days later in someone else’s machine, Keith fell out of the sky. No mechanical defect was found. He was only 50 years old: a lovely guy with a great sense of fun and everything to live for. He left his wife and two sons behind – and a big hole in many peoples’ lives. Please think of your families and don’t try to run before you can walk. Don’t be a Keith.

BRAVO. Shirley!

This is us in my friend’s machine. He was a very safe and most excellent pilot – a big bear of a guy – he made three of me! The seats only had lap straps instead of the full shoulder harness. I knew when we flew together that if he blacked out and fell on the stick, there was no way I could stop it bunting over and we'd both go together. It didn't bother me at all: I loved flying that big machine that was so soft on the controls that I could barely feel the rotors through the stick. It was an enigma to me.

I won’t get to fly with my friend anymore. I’m only thankful that no one was riding back seat with him that day. So for those who take passengers, please use a full safety harness – a lap strap won’t stop you falling forward should you be incapacitated for whatever reason. Brief them just in case they have to take the stick so they’ll know never to push it forward. Hopefully it won’t ever happen to you, but give your passengers a chance. Just in case.

Attachments

• 050 (2).jpg
    050 (2).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 27
When that pic was taken, were you really thinking, "I hope he doesn't black out?"?

I remember thinking that Keith Balch was fine til he got his licence. I've always had the view of licences as clearance to crash with official consent.
Ok, I don't mean that to be taken too seriously, but it is known that there is a post-licensing period where some folks lose the run of themselves, as in taking the family for a flight the day after qualifying. My brother-in-law did it. Idiot.
The other accident you refer to, I know nothing about. Presumably in France, I guess, with the non-mainstream machine.

Sometimes you just get lucky and I am known to be a little absent minded. Last week I went for a 20 minute flight in the Aircam just to check things out after an oil change and standard Rotax annual. Taxied the mile to 30 and took off with ⅓ flaps, flew 5 minutes to the nearby lake, flew a couple of circuits low over the lake then back to the airport, landed on 30 and a 1 mile taxi back to the hangar. When I got back I could not find my phone and wallet. (I have a wallet that holds my iPhone). After searching for 20 minutes I found it on the wing of the Aircam just forward of the flap hinge directly in line with the left prop. I'd left it there when checking the oil level before flight. I doubt I could repeat that trick if I tried.

Last edited: