I got to be the cool kid.......

Ransom

So........ I was at Childress, TX and starting my third solo flight in my new to me Tango2. During my pre-flight a couple Chinooks landed so I watched them come in and let my heart beat fast. As the crews left the big, powerful, multi-million dollar military birds..... almost all of the crew came over to see and geek out a little bit over my gyro. Delayed my start for about 45 minutes.
Then I got to take off and fly patterns low passes while they watched. My little girl seemed a bit jealous as they left.
AWESOME DAY!!!!
2129.jpeg

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
They say Chinooks are always leaking a little hydraulic fluid inside. This is considered "normal".
The advice is, if you ever get in one that's not leaking, you should get out immediately because it's almost run dry! ☺️

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Helicopter guys are often pretty fascinated by gyros, in my own experience. To them, autorotation is an emergency procedure... maybe it seems like we gyro guys are flying in a sort of constant state of emergency! ☺️

Here's an amusing (but informative) video by Paul Salmon about his encounter (flying a gyro) with Blackhawks training at Leadville, CO:

Last edited:

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
150+
Talk about leaking. Used to watch the SR-71 launches while I lived on Okinawa. Very interesting aircraft!
I was on Okinawa 71-74, used to watch the Blackbird fly out of Kadena AFB, along with F-4 Phantoms and OV-10 Broncos out of Machinato MCAS. Loved living on The Rock.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Helicopter guys are often pretty fascinated by gyros, in my own experience. To them, autorotation is an emergency procedure... maybe it seems like we gyro guys are flying in a sort of constant state of emergency! ☺️

Here's an amusing (but informative) video by Paul Salmon about his encounter (flying his gyro) with Blackhawks training at Leadville, CO:
Great video, and I learned some things I didn't know before. Thanks for posting, Tyler.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
I had a helicopter pilot friend ask me "how does it autorotate?" I had to explain that that's how it flies :)

Martin W.

I was on Okinawa 71-74, used to watch the Blackbird fly out of Kadena AFB, along with F-4 Phantoms and OV-10 Broncos out of Machinato MCAS. Loved living on The Rock.

Kelly Johnson was lead engineer on the SR71 and said the titanium fuselege was assembled like loose fitting overlapping boiler plate and leaked fuel when on the ground .... so they would take off with minimum fuel and once supersonic air friction warmed the metal it would tighten up , then they would filler up via airborne tankers and then head out on a mission.

Most flights were out of groom lake and done at night because of Soviet spy satellites looking down. After the Iron curtain fell snippets of Soviet intelligence indicated a curiosity they could never figure out .... it appeared the Americans had painted an outline of a strange aircraft on the airport ramp .... but then it would disappear and the outline would be in a different spot a couple days later.

Turns out the SR71 would leave a wet fuel stain on the concrete and that is what the Russians were seeing.

Sv.grainne

Cool plane, the locals called it the Habu after the local snake, plane way prettier than the snake. Nothing cooler than watching it takeoff, turn up at a very steep angle and watching the blue exhaust till it went out of sight!